Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - CRS-16 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about it, it makes sense that the much more powerful gimbled rocket motor was able to wrest control away from the grid fins and reverse a pretty severe spin. I wouldn't be surprised if SpaceX learned from this and have the rocket turn on early to combat grid fin failures if this happens again (assuming there is enough propellant for that). Pretty impressive nonetheless.

If the center engine is on the center line, I'm not sure how it had any spin authority since there would be no lever arm to work against. Could the fuel itself be the stabilizing factor, both in terms of slosh friction and offsetting the CG to allow the center engine some moment arm?

Couldn't be around to see this launch and will rewatch later. Did watch the video someone posted a few posts back however. Our news just mentioned the launch and that worms were going to the station but no mention of Stage 1. What caused the spin? uneven firing of the landing boosters? Would have been amazing if it didn't tip over given it was still spinning close to land.

If the center engine is on the center line, I'm not sure how it had any spin authority since there would be no lever arm to work against. Could the fuel itself be the stabilizing factor, both in terms of slosh friction and offsetting the CG to allow the center engine some moment arm?
I agree, it seems unlikely a center engine only landing burn could stop the roll. However, it would be decelerating the stage and that would mean less and less force acting on a stuck grid fin. I'm a little surprised the roll didn't push propellant away from the inlets so the engine could ignite and continue to burn.

I agree, it seems unlikely a center engine only landing burn could stop the roll. However, it would be decelerating the stage and that would mean less and less force acting on a stuck grid fin. I'm a little surprised the roll didn't push the propellant away from the inlet so the engine could ignite and continue to burn.

Upon further thought (and an apple), if the stage is tumbling (or whatever you call a tilted spin), then the center engine is offset from the CG/ axis of rotation and can provide spin stabilization. As long as it cancels the spin before canceling the tilt.

Good point on starvation, the deceleration forces and tank level must have been sufficient to keep the intake filled.

Reactions: Model 3 and bxr140
I think that what was really impressive is that the F9 was largely able to compensate for the failed hydraulic pump. It sure looked like it COULD have landed but they sent it out over water as a safely measure.
It was impressive that the stage handled the issue as well as it did. As I understand it, the stage is targeting a point just off shore just in case of a failure. It only diverts from that point to the landing pad after the landing burn has started. If so, it seems to have performed as intended.

It was impressive that the stage handled the issue as well as it did. As I understand it, the stage is targeting a point just off shore just in case of a failure. It only diverts from that point to the landing pad after the landing burn has started. If so, it seems to have performed as intended.

Makes sense. I wonder if it would be worth having a barge anchored offshore in the future just in case. I'm sure that booster costs >$10M... seems like it might be worth it... Not a drone ship, just a barge as a backup landing site.

Makes sense. I wonder if it would be worth having a barge anchored offshore in the future just in case. I'm sure that booster costs >$10M... seems like it might be worth it... Not a drone ship, just a barge as a backup landing site.
I doubt a barge landing would have been successful anyway as it appears to have been in a slow roll all the way to the surface. Probably better to solve the issue so it doesn't happen again.

Last edited:
if the stage is tumbling (or whatever you call a tilted spin), then the center engine is offset from the CG/ axis of rotation and can provide spin stabilization. As long as it cancels the spin before canceling the tilt.
I don’t know if the center engine gimbal can react quickly enough and can move through a sufficiently large arc to stabilize a spin of that magnitude.

DtrL9AAUUAApdZp.jpg:large

D. Stamos/Helodriver (@SpacecoastPix) | Twitter