Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX and...Alcantara?!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
What on earth does SpaceX have to do with the popular vehicle-interior liner?

Absolutely nothing at all.

HOWEVER.....the name of the earth's most equatorially-close space port, at just 2 degrees off the equator, is Brazil's Alcântara Launch Center. It is run by and in typical Brazilian style, fairly poorly managed by the Brazilian military (desculpe, os meus amigos e irmões brasileiros) and, unfortunately given global current events, it has had as its operational partner Ukraine. So, despite its unbeatable combination of lowest possible latitude and having thousands of miles of ocean just to its east, it has been all but moribund recently.

Most intriguingly, there is a report out of Reuters this morning (15 Jun) - I can't pull it up on any standard website but I see it on a special news feed I have (can't link) - that might mean an opportunity for SpaceX. Here is a snippet of the news feed; I've tried to encapsulate it to avoid pasting prohibitions:

The United States and Russia are competing for a strategic role in Brazil's plan to launch commercial satellites from its base near the equator, opening up a new theater in their rivalry for allies and influence.
Brazil's government expects to choose a partner to help provide technology in the coming months...
President Dilma Rousseff will select the new partner based on a range of factors including Brazil's diplomatic relations and the quality of technology on offer, the sources said.
A satellite partnership will not be on the agenda when Rousseff visits the White House on June 30, officials from both countries said.

Unfortunately for me, I don't see amongst the "Job Openings" on the SpaceX website any need for Portuguese-speaking personnel.....:frown:

Yet.:smile: