Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern Utah charging infrastructure, seeking charger type advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Denarius,

With respect to the HPWC in Cedar City, I am still considering it as a donation to the Utah Shakespeare Festival. Cedar is a destination itself, and will sit right between 2 superchargers. If you supercharge on the way in, see a few plays and supercharge on the way our, there shouldn't be an issue.

However, if you stay in Cedar for a week and take a lot of side trips, then you will still need a place to charge, particularly for a 60kwh Model S. For example, if you come from SLC and charge in Cove Fort en route to Cedar (75 miles), but not again till the way home in Cove Fort, you need to account for 150 miles in addition to the miles in and around Cedar (like a nice hike at Cedar Breaks).

So, I think it would still be nice to have some level 2 charging options in Cedar City. An 80amp HPWC at 60mph charge would be perfect for the festival, as you can gain about 180 miles of charge during a show. A slower level 2 could also work, given the proximity to the superchargers as well. I think it would also be great to have a few of the local hotels put in medium speed level 2 chargers for overnight charging.

So, I'll probably contact the Spring Hill Suites (Marriott) in Cedar and see if they will put in some level 2 chargers. They have already told me they are find with me plugging into their standard wall outlets for 110 charging. If they are willing, combined with the supercharger, then I don't think there is much added value to the Festival or us Tesla owners for having another level 2 at the Festival. If the hotels are not inclined, then I think there is still some draw for the Festival to advertise 80 amp Tesla charging with a show, and for us Tesla owners to get 80 amp charging without having to drive to St. George (54 miles) or Cove Fort (75 miles) to charge in the middle of a stay in Cedar.

I also need to ask when Tesla will have the HPWC working properly for 80amp charging.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing they picked Nephi because it is more centered between I80 and the I70.

But, if they are putting a supercharger in at the I-15 / I-70 junction, why do they need one centered between I-80 and I-70?

Am I missing something? I see no traffic or charging benefit to any route by putting it in Nephi rather than Spanish Fork.

Last edited:
I'm going to assume that the dots are still estimates, much like the original map. Which is probably also why you can't zoom in on them for more details.
On our last trip to Moab (April), we drove around the the Green River gas stations looking for evidence of a supercharger, but couldn't find any.

What are your thoughts on Cedar City? Do you think it would still be nice to have level 2 charging options in Cedar?

I think level 2 chargers in Moab would be nice too, for the same reasons.

I would still like L2 charging options in Cedar City. I usually head west on 56 after I hit Cedar. I have family in the Veyo/Central area. I can go down through St George and back up 18, but I prefer the back way.

- - - Updated - - -

L2 charging in Moab would be nice too.

- - - Updated - - -

The only other place I commonly go is Vernal. There is a Walgreens out there but I don't know if it has a charger or not.

Last edited:
Vernal could be tough. There isn't a charging station listed in Vernal in PlugShare.
Not all Walgreen's have charging stations. When I have a little more time, I'll write my story of calling the Cedar City Walgreens to inquire if they had a charger...

Looking at this map overlay by Laurent in the Tesla Supercharger network thread, the Utah superchargers may be even more interestingly placed...

Along the triangle in discussion, it appears to be Green River, Nephi and Richfield for the superchargers.

Tesla, if you are listening...
In the same way picking Nephi over Spanish Fork gains little and loses a lot, so would picking Richfield over Cove Fort. Richfield is out of the way for the I-15 corridor, and doesn't provide any gains on the I-15 / I-70 change routes.

St. George to Richfield: 168 miles
Richfield to Green River: 123 miles
St. George to Nephi: 219 miles (3 hours 12 min)
St. George to Nephi through Richfield: 242 miles (3 hours 50 min, and very out of the way)

Again, using the points of the triangle, the distances are:

St. George - Cove Fort: 128 miles
Cove Fort - Green River: 162 miles
Cove Fort - Spanish Fork: 125 miles
Spanish Fork - Green River: 131 miles

Using Richfield instead of Cove Fort gains nothing as you still have 168 miles from Richfield to St. George, longer than the 162 mile longest segment in my 'preferred' locations scenario.
It simply makes the most sense. Using the points of the triangle maximizes the usability for all the roads and their crossings, keeps travel most direct, and minimizes driving distance between superchargers.

Vernal could be tough. There isn't a charging station listed in Vernal in PlugShare.
Not all Walgreen's have charging stations. When I have a little more time, I'll write my story of calling the Cedar City Walgreens to inquire if they had a charger...

There are several RV parks, so I'm sure I can find a charge, I'm more worried about convenience. I haven't checked with the hotel I usually stay at either.

Looking at this map overlay by Laurent in the Tesla Supercharger network thread, the Utah superchargers may be even more interestingly placed...

Along the triangle in discussion, it appears to be Green River, Nephi and Richfield for the superchargers.

Tesla, if you are listening...
In the same way picking Nephi over Spanish Fork gains little and loses a lot, so would picking Richfield over Cove Fort. Richfield is out of the way for the I-15 corridor, and doesn't provide any gains on the I-15 / I-70 change routes.

St. George to Richfield: 168 miles
Richfield to Green River: 123 miles
St. George to Nephi: 219 miles (3 hours 12 min)
St. George to Nephi through Richfield: 242 miles (3 hours 50 min, and very out of the way)

Again, using the points of the triangle, the distances are:

St. George - Cove Fort: 128 miles
Cove Fort - Green River: 162 miles
Cove Fort - Spanish Fork: 125 miles
Spanish Fork - Green River: 131 miles

Using Richfield instead of Cove Fort gains nothing as you still have 168 miles from Richfield to St. George, longer than the 162 mile longest segment in my 'preferred' locations scenario.
It simply makes the most sense. Using the points of the triangle maximizes the usability for all the roads and their crossings, keeps travel most direct, and minimizes driving distance between superchargers.

I sure hope Tesla is watching these threads.

Please fight for more chargers. I would love to continue my trip to visit family in Vegas when I get my very own Tesla.

I know this is a charging thread, but does anybody want to come out and show off their Model S tomorrow morning? PM me and I can get you directions.

So, now that new HPWCs are shipping, time to pursue putting one in Cedar City? :D

Very nice!

I'll talk to service. I have a HPWC from the original run that will need to be upgraded. If it's an exchange rather than just the fuses, I'll ask if I can keep the old unit to donate to the Festival for 60 amp charging. If not, since they are shipping the new HPWC, I'll write the Festival and ask about installation and charging.

If you guys would like to contribute, that would be awesome. As the Festival is a charitable organization, the contributions should be tax deductible. I'll check with them on those details as well.

I'll write them tonight an let you guys know when I hear back.

Ok, I heard back from the Utah Shakespeare Festival. They are currently finishing plans and fundraising to build a new outdoor theater as well as several other building as part of the new Beverley Taylor Sorenson Center for the Arts. My contact said they, "would see this as more "do-able" with the new Center, opening in 2016. As they're building the Center, we can make sure that we have the necessary electric hookups in the right area."

So, they are eventually interested, but just not yet.

I will try calling the Spring Hill Suites Marriott in Cedar and ask them if they would be interested in installing an EV charger. When I asked them last summer, they looked at me like I was from another planet, though they did say I could plug into a wall outlet outside the building anytime I stayed there.

Plugshare now also has several RV options (each with 50 amp connections) for the Cedar area, including:
Cedar City KOA
Town & Country RV Park at the north end of Cedar
Beaver KOA

Ok, I heard back from the Utah Shakespeare Festival. They are currently finishing plans and fundraising to build a new outdoor theater as well as several other building as part of the new Beverley Taylor Sorenson Center for the Arts. My contact said they, "would see this as more "do-able" with the new Center, opening in 2016. As they're building the Center, we can make sure that we have the necessary electric hookups in the right area."

So, they are eventually interested, but just not yet.

I will try calling the Spring Hill Suites Marriott in Cedar and ask them if they would be interested in installing an EV charger. When I asked them last summer, they looked at me like I was from another planet, though they did say I could plug into a wall outlet outside the building anytime I stayed there.

Plugshare now also has several RV options (each with 50 amp connections) for the Cedar area, including:
Cedar City KOA
Town & Country RV Park at the north end of Cedar
Beaver KOA

Good that they are willing, to bad it wouldn't be until 2016. It would be awesome if Marriott, or even one of the restaurants would be willing.

I did see the RV options there. HPWC would obviously be much faster for a drive down to St George. It also didn't look like there are many dining options near the RV hookups. Guess that is what I will need to do on my way down to St George.

Has any Model S owner driven down to St George? Based off of what I've been reading about range it looks like I may have to stop for a couple of hours in Cedar City to make it.