Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

soo....1400 just got hit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lost 80 miles in the paint booth when we had an under-body scratch touched up.
piDHwfj4ShrVtWN80AoSl54WNMu.jpg

...I lost 80 miles in the paint booth when we had an under-body scratch touched up...
??? How does that happen? Because it sat so long in the lot? Was the paint booth heated so the car used power for AC to keep the batteries cool? Did the paint shop folks take it for an extended 'test drive'?

Edit: I see that Doug jumped in already with a photo I was thinking of posting!

Hmmm... Along with making sure it stays plugged in while being serviced, you might want to look into using valet mode...

Last edited:
FWIW, even if the other person admits fault, get witnesses and call the cops. 2 years back someone drove the wrong way down a car park entrance ramp and pulled straight into the street knocking me off my motorcycle; she was totally apologetic, took all responsibility, admitted what she did was stupid etc. etc. The cops showed up after being called by a passer-by who saw me with a bloody leg etc. and when the Officer spoke to the driver, she changed her story and told the cop I was speeding and out of control that I had pulled in front of her.

My insurance premiums went up slightly afterwards as it turned into a "he said, she said" argument and the insurance companies split the difference. Fortunately the repair bill was under $900 and the treatment for my road-rash was only a couple hundred.

P.S. driving the wrong way down a multi-story car park ramp is not illegal. The cop told me that even if the driver was stupid to do that he couldn't ticket her as it was on private property.

Last edited:
Over the years, I got hit in the back on two different occasions by vehicles where the driver wasn't paying attention and failed to stop.
In both cases, they immediately apologized, said it was their fault, and asked not to get the police involved. Perhaps against better judgment, I went along and in the end their insurance(s) covered both repairs without issue. Maybe it helps that I took pictures of the scene so the other driver knew it was "documented", and also when a car gets hit in the back it is generally presumed that the car in back was at fault. *But*, I am just pointing out that people don't always "change their story". You just take a risk that they might.

Funny thing is that one of those accidents a highway patrol did stop, and basically encouraged us to "work it out amongst yourselves" because he didn't want to do a bunch of paperwork for something he considered "minor".

Last edited:
Funny thing is that one of those accidents a highway patrol did stop, and basically encouraged us to "work it out amongst yourselves" because he didn't want to do a bunch of paperwork for something he considered "minor".

A few years ago I was rear-ended while sitting at a red light. While we were exchanging information a cop showed up and said, "okay, that's unreportable", and left. In Ontario if the damage is above a certain dollar value then you're supposed to get a police report. If it's below that value then they don't care. Of course the damage in reality was well above that threshold, and he probably knew that, but the cars weren't disabled and no one was hurt so off he went.

Yes, same story for me. The damage $ was well more than what is required to report, yet the officer didn't want to bother reporting it.
I think the rule of thumb is more along the lines of "if someone could be injured it better be reported", otherwise it can be left up to the people involved.

Well, looking back I should have gotten a police report...especially for this car.

Fortunately the guy already took responsibility as verified with my insurance.

Unfortunately, or fortunately (I think the latter), I am going to ship it to Tesla Chicago to get it fixed. There are no authorized dealers in Dallas. Plus, after emailing the photos to Tesla, they forwarded them to the regional service manager, who thought that with the repair, I would be better off with Tesla doing it.

What he mentioned was the high voltage lines (though mainly on the passenger side), and how the panels are bonded to the car not bolted. So the panel behind my door needs cut off first, then the new one bonded and aligned in place.

I wonder how much more damage they will find...it even damaged the molding around the window which I didn't notice until the adjuster pointed it out today at Allstate!

The adjuster was pretty funny. I told him about the car...and he kept saying wow. Told me to go inside and he would take pictures and get an estimate worked out. He comes back in less than 15 mins and says he can't finish the estimate because my car/parts isn't in their system and they will have to refer me to their special division that deals with exotic/rare cars.

Edit: I see that Doug jumped in already with a photo I was thinking of posting!

Hmmm... Along with making sure it stays plugged in while being serviced, you might want to look into using valet mode...

It was pretty ugly for a while there. I did accuse them of driving the car. They had it for 5 days so even unplugged should not have lost more than 10 miles. I was mad at them and also went off to Tesla LA who uses them all the time. In the end i was convinced that it was the heat of the paint drying booth that reduced the miles. They have a constant flow of Lambos, Ferraris, etc. so they did have a rep to uphold.

One thing that did change after my somewhat embarrassing experience with the was Tesla supplying them with at UMC 240 and them going to put in a 14-50.

You can find out if they drove it by pulling the log and using one of the log parsers that are available. That will tell you if and when they drove it, and how fast they went (every second of their drive). Assuming that this was recently enough that it's still in the log, that is.

The Tesla manual says that it's not supposed to be put in a paint drying booth without first removing the battery because it can cause permanent damage to the battery. I hope that didn't happen to you (the fact that it came back with some charge left is a good sign; at least it didn't run out and stop cooling the battery).

You can find out if they drove it by pulling the log and using one of the log parsers that are available. That will tell you if and when they drove it, and how fast they went (every second of their drive). Assuming that this was recently enough that it's still in the log, that is.

The Tesla manual says that it's not supposed to be put in a paint drying booth without first removing the battery because it can cause permanent damage to the battery. I hope that didn't happen to you (the fact that it came back with some charge left is a good sign; at least it didn't run out and stop cooling the battery).

All good points. This was years ago so the log info was not as available back then. I had read the manual and asked Tesla about the heat from this paint booth and Tesla LA has given this place the Ok (this is the official LA paint vendor) so it must not get too hot or be too long.

Point is here, don't get work done without a full charge.

man...what a PITA.

Finally convinced them to ship it to Chicago.

Feel better about it getting fixed correctly without any damage to the batteries or joy riding.

Hopefully they can arrange the pick up soon.