Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone hit my new P3D+ and drove off...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So sorry about this man, what a terrible situation but at least you are ok! I ordered a 4k Blackvue last night, was kind of regretting the purchase after and then came to this thread and now am very thankful I'm getting it a few days before my P3D-!

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
So sorry about this man, what a terrible situation but at least you are ok! I ordered a 4k Blackvue last night, was kind of regretting the purchase after and then came to this thread and now am very thankful I'm getting it a few days before my P3D-!

Thank you! Hard to see the silver lining in a situation like this, but it definitely could have been worse, or I could have had other people or my dog in the car with me.

Where'd you order the blackvue from? Need to put an order in for one too...

Also, the P3D really took that hit like a champ. Had I been in my old Prius, I prolly woulda lost control of the car and flipped. I never even felt like I lost control of my Tesla. That low CoG battery pack is clutch.

With this being an actual hit and run, you could contact Tesla to try and establish if the cameras were actually recording at the time of the incident, and if so ask if they could help extracting the footage.

Actually, on second thought, start claiming that autopilot tried to kill you.... contact the WSJ, tweet Elon and taunt him.... then sue Tesla.... Tesla will be forced to release details of the make and model from the private footage to defend itself.... then after months of legal posturing, drop the suit, pay your legal fees off...... then after things have gone back to normal, you submit a FOIA request for public records to find the description of the vehicle.... all whilst simultaneously taking a job at the California DMV or become a police officer all in preparation to run the plate information you discovered in the lawsuit against records.... Now it gets interesting.

Once you have the driver's car and information, you move into the adjacent house of the hit and run driver (sell your Telsa first so you don't tip him off)... Then befriend the driver over the next several months... Form a deep and lasting relationship. Then you will really have him where you want him. After several years, get him to to tell you about the time he hit that Tesla.... at that moment, you , scream in his face, "You're busted! And I'm divorcing you!"

It's the perfect plan.

If the person who hit him is an uninsured motorist the dash cam won't do much... he will still end up having to go through his own insurance and watch the resultant rate increase from a multi-thousand dollar repair going onto his policy.

This just happened to us recently. Unfortunately there are loads of irresponsible people driving around without insurance and some even without licensing. Often times when they are "caught" it's a slap on the wrist.

That is some BS. Makes no sense at all. I would be fighting to garnage their wages to pay for said accident.

Sorry to hear about your new car, OP. Glad you're ok though.

Thats so unfortunate..hope karma gets that person. Anyway I had a Blackvue 2ch 4k installed and honestly you guys should too! Or something as good and clear as mine. I dont have any side cam installed but it looks great at day/night. Extra mind of security helps in situations like these.
I'd like to install a BV system also but apparently the jury is still out on how to properly hook this up with the car not having a 12v constant when sleeping. What method did you use?

I posted my story on the local Orange County reddit, and someone saw a car that matches the one that hit me parked on the street less than 1/8 mile from my hit&run.

I’m headed over there now to see if I can get a plate! Wish me luck!

OP did u get a police report ? At minimum you should write it up with witness information and file with police ..it will help with further subrogation if your insurance is able to collect from other party .

Reactions: C141medic
Sorry to hear about your new car, OP. Glad you're ok though.

I'd like to install a BV system also but apparently the jury is still out on how to properly hook this up with the car not having a 12v constant when sleeping. What method did you use?
Ive had someone install it (calibred customs) they came over to my house and took about 1.25 hours. You can purchase the products through them or cheaper via amazon.blackvue dr900s 2 channel or 4 channel if you want. And 1 blackvue ultra battery. I really think the ultra battery is OD since its almost always at least 99% whenever I check.
Also got the samsung 128gb high endurance micro sd card (59.99) the white looking one on amazon

• Informative
Reactions: NathanielHrnblwr