Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bittersweet day. I had never been more excited for a car. Unfortunately I got a bad egg. I am exhausted battling with Tesla.

Our early build Model Y was plagued with build quality issues. It is beyond me why Tesla could not get this car fixed. I should have never accepted delivery. It was peak pandemic March 2020 and the car was left in front of house with keys.

Every time I brought it in for repair they broke something else. Its sad when your afraid to take your car for service. However the mobile service crew was great when they came to switch out wheels and fix damage done at the service center.

• Factory hood damage took 3 visits and 7 months to repair. While fixing hood tech must have stuck something on dash creating deep scratches across dash Tesla would not repair. Also when I sold the vehicle Carmax pointed out they stripped the hood bolt installing the new hood which I am sure affected my quote.

• Rear wing fell off. Tesla replaced and some how left 6in to metal scratched car installing new wing. Brought car back and Tesla somehow got paint on rear glass fixing scratch tech used razor blade to scrape off and scratched glass.

• Car had weird overspray on lower rocker panel. Took 6 months for Tesla body shop appointment to get fixed, was in loaner 1 month waiting for Tesla to repair. When the car came back Tesla some how had overspray paint on interior of car and broke the driver seat. Instead of replacing seat Tesla tried to order new booster cushions. Seat never looked right after this.

• Car came equipped with exterior back up speaker from factory. Tesla would not allow me to activate boombox and unplugged speaker during service appointment because they said it was not on my build page.

• Tesla replaced door handles due to breaking mounts while car was in service trying to fix indented door handles. For some reason after new door handles were installed they decided to buff them and damaged paint around door handles my guess is they scratched the door or the handles during install tried to cover up. Never had them fix because I was worried they would cause more damage paid out of own pocket to have a detail shop buff and repair.

• Tesla Taillights on driver side fogged up. When Tesla fixed they installed new version of taillights. Requested they replace the other side with new taillights so they matched. They said no and ordered the old style taillights. My new old style taillights had same issue and fogged up.

• Rear carpet on lift gate came unglued Tesla repaired and got glue residue on rear carpets.

I hope you guys have better luck then me. Not sure I will be a Tesla owner again it has been an extremely aggravating experience. BTW Tesla offered to buy my Model Y Performance with 8k for 40k which was exactly what I owed on it. Carmax paid 60k.

Bittersweet day. I had never been more excited for a car. Unfortunately I got a bad egg. I am exhausted battling with Tesla.

Our early build Model Y was plagued with build quality issues. It is beyond me why Tesla could not get this car fixed. I should have never accepted delivery. It was peak pandemic March 2020 and the car was left in front of house with keys.

Every time I brought it in for repair they broke something else. Its sad when your afraid to take your car for service. However the mobile service crew was great when they came to switch out wheels and fix damage done at the service center.

• Factory hood damage took 3 visits and 7 months to repair. While fixing hood tech must have stuck something on dash creating deep scratches across dash Tesla would not repair. Also when I sold the vehicle Carmax pointed out they stripped the hood bolt installing the new hood which I am sure affected my quote.

• Rear wing fell off. Tesla replaced and some how left 6in to metal scratched car installing new wing. Brought car back and Tesla somehow got paint on rear glass fixing scratch tech used razor blade to scrape off and scratched glass.

• Car had weird overspray on lower rocker panel. Took 6 months for Tesla body shop appointment to get fixed, was in loaner 1 month waiting for Tesla to repair. When the car came back Tesla some how had overspray paint on interior of car and broke the driver seat. Instead of replacing seat Tesla tried to order new booster cushions. Seat never looked right after this.

• Car came equipped with exterior back up speaker from factory. Tesla would not allow me to activate boombox and unplugged speaker during service appointment because they said it was not on my build page.

• Tesla replaced door handles due to breaking mounts while car was in service trying to fix indented door handles. For some reason after new door handles were installed they decided to buff them and damaged paint around door handles my guess is they scratched the door or the handles during install tried to cover up. Never had them fix because I was worried they would cause more damage paid out of own pocket to have a detail shop buff and repair.

• Tesla Taillights on driver side fogged up. When Tesla fixed they installed new version of taillights. Requested they replace the other side with new taillights so they matched. They said no and ordered the old style taillights. My new old style taillights had same issue and fogged up.

• Rear carpet on lift gate came unglued Tesla repaired and got glue residue on rear carpets.

I hope you guys have better luck then me. Not sure I will be a Tesla owner again it has been an extremely aggravating experience. BTW Tesla offered to buy my Model Y Performance with 8k for 40k which was exactly what I owed on it. Carmax paid 60k.
I had a similar experience when getting a quote from Tesla recently on my 2020 MYP. I wound up selling privately for $15K over their offer.

The car also sold the same day I put it up so I probably could have got more than I listed it for.

Best of luck with your next purchase.

Did you try to invoke the Lemon Laws?

The lemon laws are federal and state consumer protection laws that were enacted to protect consumers who have purchased (or leased) defective consumer vehicles or goods. The law provides that when a manufacturer cannot repair a vehicle or other consumer good after a reasonable number of repair attempts and the defect is substantial, it must either replace the defective good or refund the consumer’s money.​

The lemon laws are federal and state consumer protection laws that were enacted to protect consumers who have purchased (or leased) defective consumer vehicles or goods. The law provides that when a manufacturer cannot repair a vehicle or other consumer good after a reasonable number of repair attempts and the defect is substantial, it must either replace the defective good or refund the consumer’s money.​
I was looking into this. I reached out to Tesla about buying this Tesla and me buying a new Model Y that was when they offered my 40k which was what I owed. Then saw Carmax was giving good offers on used cars and they offered 60k.

I think the problem with that is most states you have to have manufacturing defects. It sounds like most of the OP's problems were from the service center breaking stuff every time they fixed something else. Incompetent service center technicians probably don't count as a manufacturing defect.

Keith

Wow My experience has been great so far. But also havnt had to bring it in for any repairs. Sounds like you got a good price for taking off your hands.

I say go buy a M3 Performance.
Problem is, if he purchases a M3P he would be dealing with the exact same service center if anything came up. I wonder if he is close enough to Electrified Garage to get work done there to avoid his local Tesla service center?

Keith

Problem is, if he purchases a M3P he would be dealing with the exact same service center if anything came up. I wonder if he is close enough to Electrified Garage to get work done there to avoid his local Tesla service center?

Keith
For regular body work, any body shop is acceptable. Most body shops do a lot more work on cars than Tesla does, they can get Tesla parts if needed, and have more experience with paint. And one would not need to worry about an "electrified garage" unless the problem is with the electrical part of the car, which this doesn't seem to be.

My Tesla Service Center is a hundred miles away. And I would use my local body shop instead of driving that far.

Thats a bummer. I agree with comments about the service centers and just their general asshole attitude, like unplugging a back up speaker... yeah we will show you, hope you run over someones kid ! WTF. you are making me nervous about taking mine in here in Alpharetta, GA to have the wing reinstalled. I could do that myself with some more 3M tape but like you said its a $60k car they should do it... better yet why the F does anyone have to do it? Why are we 3M'ing wings on an expensive car to begin with? We didnt even do that when i was 16 tuning Rabbit GTIs... I scheduled a visit earlier to have them look at the driver seat bolster which was totally out of alignment (its hard to get in and out of this car without crushing the driver seat bolster). They told me nothing on the seat is covered under the B2B warranty, it would be like $1000 to replace the bolster. I guess the seat is not between the 2 bumpers ? Rewind to last year, same issue with my Dodge truck. They replaced the bolster and the lumbar, zero questions asked. Cmon Tesla it together here. this type of policy / attitude alienates people forever. There are threads about GM truck dashes cracking that exceed 300,000 posts on some forums and GM could care less. They are loosing customers because their 1980s sales churn strategy. That wont work, there is something now called the internet...people talk... I really hope Telsa doesnt have that same crap attitude...

Last edited:
Reactions: celo
I Thats a bummer. I agree with comments about the service centers and just their general asshole attitude, like unplugging a back up speaker... yeah we will show you, hope you run over someones kid ! WTF. you are making me nervous about taking mine in here in Alpharetta, GA to have the wing reinstalled. I could do that myself with some more 3M tape but like you said its a $60k car they should do it... better yet why the F does anyone have to do it? Why are we 3M'ing wings on an expensive car to begin with? We didnt even do that when i was 16 tuning Rabbit GTIs... I scheduled a visit earlier to have them look at the driver seat bolster which was totally out of alignment (its hard to get in and out of this car without crushing the driver seat bolster). They told me nothing on the seat is covered under the B2B warranty, it would be like $1000 to replace the bolster. I guess the seat is not between the 2 bumpers ? Rewind to last year, same issue with my Dodge truck. They replaced the bolster and the lumbar, zero questions asked. Cmon Tesla it together here. this type of policy / attitude alienates people forever. There are threads about GM truck dashes cracking that exceed 300,000 posts on some forums and GM could care less. They are loosing customers because their 1980s sales churn strategy. That wont work, there is something now called the internet...people talk... I really hope Telsa doesnt have that same crap attitude...
Please be careful with the wing. They did so much damage just with this simple repair. Forgot to mention they use tape to secure the wing in place. My service center left my car in the sun with the tape for a week. Left a very strange residue what would show up when the car was wet.