Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why natural gas and oil are doomed

Why the Price of Oil is Doomed for Longer than Expected | Wolf Street

Below is my comment to this interesting and well reasoned piece. Many who are trying to make sense of the collapse of the oil and natural gas markets are failling to think seriously abould the role of renewable. They fail to see that wind, solar and batteries are the black hole of the energy markets. Happy Thanksgiving!

There is no sustainable hope for natural gas above $2/MMBTU, and this will continue to be a drain on oil demand as oil and gas compete in chemical feedstock, heating and other markets.

In a combustion turbine, natural gas at $2/MMBTU is a fuel cost of about $23.5/MWh. This means that as wind and solar approach all-in PPA rates of $23.5/MWh, they beat natural gas on fuel price alone and leave no additional revenue to cover NG generator capex or other marginal costs. This is a price point at which even fully depreciated plants can no longer compete with brand new wind and solar capacity. Thus, we will see massive destruction of demand for natural gas as PPAs descend to this level and go even lower.

How long will this take? Recent solar PPAs have been in range of $40 to $50 per MWh within the US. The cost of solar should continue to decline 10% to 15% per year. So solar could reach $23/MWh by 2020. Wind PPAs are already in ranger of $25 to $40 per MWh in the US and can continue to fall 5% or more per year. Thus, wind at $23/MWh is imminent. The cintinuing decline in the cost of solar and wind is based on advancing technology and manufacturing and supply chain efficiencies that come with doubling production ever couple of years.

Moreover, Tesla now prices their Powerpack 100kWh battery at $250/kWh. This is sufficient for SolarCity to price a utility scale dispatchable solar facitity capable of storing all its energy to be dispatched after dark at $145/MWh. This beats a new gas peaking plant with $160/MWh LCOE with natural gas at $2/MMBTU. Battery costs should fall just as fast as solar. So fully dispatchable solar should fall below $70/MWh. Thus, dispatachable solar and other applications of battery will out compete gas peakers very soon. This deprives natural gas pretty much any longterm market in stabilizing the grid except perhaps to address seasonal demand. The presence of sufficient batteries in the grid will impose an arbitrage bound on the daily spread between high and low electricity prices. That arbitrage bound shrinks with the price of batteries and other storage technology. So longrun any grid stabilization demand for natural gas shrinks with each passing year. It will be cheaper to stabilize the grid with batteries.

The problem with natural gas prices above $2/MMBTU is that it simply hasten the rate at which wind, solar and batteries are brought into the grid. Once installed, these assets will permanently destroy demand for natural gas. For example, this year the US will install about 5 GW of solar, and that is enough to displace demand for 82 trillion BTU per year for the next 30 years. And in 2016, the US will another 7 to 9 GW of solar. If gas prices were to recover to $3/MMBTU or higher next year, that would only boost solar and wind installations even higher in 2017.

Any investor who is looking for a floor for natural gas, coal or oil will need to give serious attention to where floors might exist for wind, solar and batteries. As far as I can see there are none, and these new technologies will continue to exert deflationary pressure on all energy markets for decades to come. Wind, solar and batteries are the black hole of the energy markets permanently sucking demand away from coal, gas and oil. The only thing in question is the pace at which demand is destroyed, and this is why the Saudis had to allow prices to fall.

Last edited:
CLIMATE: Bill Gates preps biggest clean energy fund -- November 27, 2015 at 7:54 AM -- www.eenews.net

Gates and other billionaires, meanwhile, will pledge a pool of money to assist the cooperative projects. The exact spending amount was unclear yesterday, but one source put it in the billions of dollars.

"This is the single biggest cooperative research and development partnership in history," the source said.

Bill Gates to launch clean energy project on sidelines of Paris climate talks | Environment | The Guardian

Gates will join Indian prime minister Narendra Modi, US president Barack Obama and French president François Hollande to announce Initiative Cleantech at a side event on the opening day of the two-week climate summit, according to a summit agenda released by the French government on Friday.

Last edited:

Elon did do a somewhat "fireside chat" with bill gates just a few months ago. Might have had a discussion about this project. Elon also had prime minister at the Fremont factory recently too. Would be very interesting if gates is investing in the Gigafactory here or in India. Would be a big development for Solarcity as well. Also a possibility gates and others invest in distributed solar globally.

a side note on the Gigafactory... Solarcity will get the solar install for the factory which is going to be many many megawatts and a big contract. Wouldn't be too far off to expect this announcement in the coming weeks/months as well.

jhm,
To add to your comment, nat gas infrastructure will be heavily questioned when the entire Gigafactory runs off renewables much more efficiently.

Gigafactory Renewable Energy Plans Slip Out | CleanTechnica

heres an op-ed letter about the $1billion buffets NV ENERGY intends to spend (buying his own gas fired turbines by the way) on nat gas plants for Nevada. Dg solar just gets in the way...
LETTERS: NV Energy's plans unjustifiable | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Last edited:
By Bill Gates: Why Im investing $1 billion of my own money into clean energy research - Quartz

These are solvable problems. If we create the right environment for innovation, we can accelerate the pace of progress, develop and deploy new solutions, and eventually provide everyone with reliable, affordable energy that is carbon free. We can avoid the worst climate-change scenarios while also lifting people out of poverty, growing food more efficiently, and saving lives by reducing pollution.

Bill Gates Expected to Create Billion-Dollar Fund for Clean Energy

India has emerged as a pivotal player in the Paris talks. The announcement by Mr. Gates appears intended to help secure India’s support of a deal.

Could Tesla use the Solarcity's playbook for its future (hypothetical) on-demand transportation service?

A service like but with autonomous cars to drive you anywhere, at anytime - with per-mile billing - requires to dispatch a huge fleet of vehicles 24/7 dynamically. How could the company pay for the manufacturing of millions of new cars without a customer to pay upfront?

Solarcity is currently structured with a DevCo (which sells per-kwh subscriptions), a PowerCo, and probably soon a MakeCo.
Tesla could have a similar structure with a Tesla Transport subsidiary (DevCo), Tesla Finance (PowerCo) and Tesla Motors (MakeCo).

I wonder how Tesla Energy will come into this play. It could just sell battery packs to Tesla Motors and other companies (incl. SolarCity). But if Solarcity's marketcap remains low, Elon could take the company private and bring it closer to Tesla Energy.

Code:
[FONT=courier new].[/FONT][FONT=courier new]               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]                  [/FONT][FONT=courier new]+-- Other car customers (individuals / companies like Uber...) 
[/FONT][FONT=courier new].[/FONT][FONT=courier new]               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]                  [/FONT][FONT=courier new]|[/FONT][FONT=courier new]
[/FONT][FONT=courier new].[/FONT][FONT=courier new]               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]+-- TSLA Motors --+-- TSLA Finance ---- TSLA Transport
[/FONT][FONT=courier new].[/FONT][FONT=courier new]               |[/FONT][FONT=courier new]
[/FONT][FONT=courier new].[/FONT][FONT=courier new]TSLA Energy ---+--[/FONT][FONT=courier new] SCTY MakeCo --+-- SCTY PowerCo ---- SCTY DevCo[/FONT][FONT=courier new]
[/FONT][FONT=courier new].[/FONT][FONT=courier new]               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]|[/FONT][FONT=courier new]                 [/FONT][FONT=courier new]|
[/FONT][FONT=courier new].[/FONT][FONT=courier new]               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]|[/FONT][FONT=courier new]  [/FONT][FONT=courier new]               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]+--[/FONT][FONT=courier new] Other solar customers (individuals / companies)[/FONT][FONT=courier new]
[/FONT][FONT=courier new].[/FONT][FONT=courier new]               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]|
[/FONT][FONT=courier new].[/FONT][FONT=courier new]               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]+-- Other battery customers (utilities)[/FONT][FONT=courier new]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Could Tesla use the Solarcity's playbook for its future (hypothetical) on-demand transportation service?

A service like but with autonomous cars to drive you anywhere, at anytime - with per-mile billing - requires to dispatch a huge fleet of vehicles 24/7 dynamically. How could the company pay for the manufacturing of millions of new cars without a customer to pay upfront?

Solarcity is currently structured with a DevCo (which sells per-kwh subscriptions), a PowerCo, and probably soon a MakeCo.
Tesla could have a similar structure with a Tesla Transport subsidiary (DevCo), Tesla Finance (PowerCo) and Tesla Motors (MakeCo).

I wonder how Tesla Energy will come into this play. It could just sell battery packs to Tesla Motors and other companies (incl. SolarCity). But if Solarcity's marketcap remains low, Elon could take the company private and bring it closer to Tesla Energy.

Code:
[/FONT][FONT=courier new]                  [/FONT][FONT=courier new]               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]+-- Other car customers (individuals / companies like Uber...) 
                   [/FONT][FONT=courier new]               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]                  [/FONT][FONT=courier new]|[/FONT][FONT=courier new]
[/FONT][FONT=courier new]               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]+-- TSLA Motors --+-- TSLA Finance ---- TSLA Transport
[/FONT][FONT=courier new]               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]|[/FONT][FONT=courier new]
TSLA Energy +--+--[/FONT][FONT=courier new] SCTY MakeCo --+-- SCTY PowerCo ---- SCTY DevCo[/FONT][FONT=courier new]
       [/FONT][FONT=courier new]               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]|[/FONT][FONT=courier new]                 [/FONT][FONT=courier new]|
[/FONT][FONT=courier new]               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]|[/FONT][FONT=courier new]               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]  +--[/FONT][FONT=courier new] Other solar customers (individuals / companies)[/FONT][FONT=courier new]
               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]|
[/FONT][FONT=courier new]               [/FONT][FONT=courier new]+-- Other battery customers (utilities)
[/FONT][FONT=courier new]

I think the only reason why scty uses devco/power co is to try and explain the company to outsiders. In the end I an not sure it confuses the average Jo even more. I don't see tesla representing their company in this way but as Tesla energy scales they might have to break it out in some manner

Bay Area communities gearing up to create their own power systems - San Jose Mercury News

Overseen by a team of energy experts and a board of elected officials, new community-run utilities are buying power from the grid, procuring a higher percentage of renewable energy -- think solar and wind, as well as methane from dairy cows -- than PG&E, while aiming for a price around or even below the giant utility's rates. The new power systems also are charged with developing more local renewable energy.

Why rooftop solar advocates are upset about Californias clean-energy law - LA Times

"People aren't stupid," Washington said. "Some people are going so green, they're off the grid."

Last edited:
One month mark

It's been a month since the Q3 announcement. It’s very apparent to me that the stock found a new trading range of $25 to $30.

My expectation is that the stock will stay in this range for next 5 to 6 quarters until there is adequate proof that the company is able to sustain ITC stepdown. Promises from management, analyst reports won't instill confidence until there is actual proof in numbers is my view.

As I have always claimed the true support to the stock is the RV. But there are various ways to peel the RV onion. Based on what you include or exclude you can get dramatically different end values. It can even go lower than $14/share if you look at it conservatively.

In any case, Mr.Market will derive it's own value on RV and the trajectory of it until 2016 year-end and will put a trading range around it. That's the reason for a range bound trading prediction.

Further, the risk is to the downside based on various NEM phaseouts and the new policies. I don't think NEM phaseouts are adequately priced into the stock. NEM phaseouts can cause SolarCity to pull off of some states. That will both cost money and opportunity loss. Thus I think the reset of the trading range to the downside is a possibility too.

It's been a month since the Q3 announcement. It’s very apparent to me that the stock found a new trading range of $25 to $30.

My expectation is that the stock will stay in this range for next 5 to 6 quarters until there is adequate proof that the company is able to sustain ITC stepdown. Promises from management, analyst reports won't instill confidence until there is actual proof in numbers is my view.

As I have always claimed the true support to the stock is the RV. But there are various ways to peel the RV onion. Based on what you include or exclude you can get dramatically different end values. It can even go lower than $14/share if you look at it conservatively.

In any case, Mr.Market will derive it's own value on RV and the trajectory of it until 2016 year-end and will put a trading range around it. That's the reason for a range bound trading prediction.

Further, the risk is to the downside based on various NEM phaseouts and the new policies. I don't think NEM phaseouts are adequately priced into the stock. NEM phaseouts can cause SolarCity to pull off of some states. That will both cost money and opportunity loss. Thus I think the reset of the trading range to the downside is a possibility too.

So after one month your expectation is the stock will trade in this range for the next 15-18 months. I find that highly unlikely. I don't think there will be an 18 month time that the stock trades in a 5 dollar range for a long time

Solar City was beaten down because the entire sector was beaten down. Solar City is doing pretty well compared to all other Solar stocks. When the uncertainty about the entire sector is gone, SolarCity will shine. I suspect some of this will happen in the next few weeks, especially with Lyndon speaking at the Paris talks. Everything else is irrelevant. SolarCity is very undervalued because the market doesn't know how to price it, because the market doesn't know what the solar landscape will look like in 2016 and 2017, and is therefore assuming SolarCity, along with every other Solar company will go bankrupt.

So after one month your expectation is the stock will trade in this range for the next 15-18 months. I find that highly unlikely. I don't think there will be an 18 month time that the stock trades in a 5 dollar range for a long time

SCTY traded in a band of $10s, between 50 and 60 for about an year. So trading in a tight band is not unfathomable, in fact it is a very familiar scenario for SCTY.

Have you looked up a few beaten down stocks? Very few bonce back like a ball as bulls would like to hope.

- - - Updated - - -

That $4 billion RV is a sham. So is doubling every year or so.

That whole thing was ripped apart with Q2 announcement and more so with Q3 announcement. That is very much the reason for the reset in the trading band.

Oh well, even after a month, it is hard for some folks to see it. I tried to help. But somehow this is very hard to see for most all.

SCTY traded in a band of $10s, between 50 and 60 for about an year. So trading in a tight band is not unfathomable, in fact it is a very familiar scenario for SCTY.

Have you looked up a few beaten down stocks? Very few bonce back like a ball as bulls would like to hope.

- - - Updated - - -

That $4 billion RV is a sham. So is doubling every year or so.

That whole thing was ripped apart with Q2 announcement and more so with Q3 announcement. That is very much the reason for the reset in the trading band.

Oh well, even after a month, it is hard for some folks to see it. I tried to help. But somehow this is very hard to see for most all.

The only problem is the gap from $30 to $50 will require either something big, or massive short covering. This is the only reason SolarCity is hitting resistance around $31. I see an obvious wedge forming. Either SCTY collapses or re-tests $50 by the end of December. In my opinion, there is too much big money supporting the stock between $25 and $30 for it to drop. Today could very easily be confirmation of a cup and handle.

We're talking about solar as if it's some new type of shampoo rather than the future of global energy production. SCTY is the #1 US installer with an infinitely more profitable revenue model than the rest and a value proposition no one will be able to touch for years.

It's just a matter of time. The ITC needs to shake out(either way) and consumers need to be educated a bit more on solar in general, then it's game over. To say SCTY will be trading in the 30's 6 quarters from now is to say solar in the US is about to disappear. Is that the feeling you folks are getting?

There's 4 or 5 things dangling out there that will spark this squeeze, just need to wait for one to happen and hope SCTY continues to execute in the mean time.

It’s very apparent to me that the stock found a new trading range of $25 to $30.

I'd be fine with that. I will be accumulating shares for the next year or 2.

I'd be fine with that. I will be accumulating shares for the next year or 2.

While I think his assessment is very off base, I agree it would be great if I had that much time to accumulate shares at these prices.

Benson, 10 dollars is twice the range and 6 quarters is a lot longer than one year ;) . While I appreciate you think your doing people a great service explaining how scty is a big sham your logic is very slanted due to your assessment that management is made up of a bunch of liars and scty is on a one way trip to bankruptcy :/

I am sorry for your losses you realized. You still have time to see the truth though, keep digging. . If you continue to follow scty as close as you are I think you will get back in at a pretty good point.

I will say Brad buss leaving has me Little nervous. I felt like I should of made some defensive moves when he sold his shares and not doing so cost me. Although in hindsight every bit of this will be crystal clear

Last edited:
While I think his assessment is very off base, I agree it would be great if I had that much time to accumulate shares at these prices.

Benson, 10 dollars is twice the range and 6 quarters is a lot longer than one year ;) . While I appreciate you think your doing people a great service explaining how scty is a big sham your logic is very slanted due to your assessment that management is made up of a bunch of liars and scty is on a one way trip to bankruptcy :/

I am sorry for your losses you realized. You still have time to see the truth though, keep digging. . If you continue to follow scty as close as you are I think you will get back in at a pretty good point.

I will say Brad buss leaving has me Little nervous. I felt like I should of made some defensive moves when he sold his shares and not doing so cost me. Although in hindsight every bit of this will be crystal clear

Thanks for the thoughts Blake.

For the record:
- I don't think I ever said Management is outright liars. They are merely deceptive. Very deceptive I would say.
- I don't think bankruptcy is the base case scenario. I do think it is one of the potential scenarios with a reasonable probability. Pretty sure I have been consistent in saying that.

$10 on $50 is same as $5 on $25. So a $5 trading band is not that off base :)

Again more importantly my prediction is based on what I see currently happening (not merely predicting a repeat of the past as a technician).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.