Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A great piece on battery storage from RMI.org: Report Release: The Economics of Battery Energy Storage

The report covers:

I've only read the Executive Summary, but thought these were key points:

Lyndon Rive said the back up capability of solarcity solar+storage is only 5% of the value of the system. 95% of the value comes from grid services to the grid. He said those customers that buy/lease/ppa the powerwall+ solar package now for back up purposes will be able to take advantage of grid services compensation when it becomes available in the near future.

Essentially, when you buy/lease/ppa solarcity energy storage package you will also get "upgrades" that will further reduce your per kWh rate. That's a pretty great sales pitch to future customers of powerwall. It's the same as the model s/x... it upgrades the longer you own it. The same for solarcity.

I find this to be a massive shift in how we the American consumer relate to our electricity and the energy industry in general. Now we are participants, rather then hapless spectators. When a company like solarcity can be at the center of a consumer's psychological transformation like this, it would be difficult to stop the momentum of sales/services growth, even in a hostile environment of incumbent utility entrenchment.

Solar Wind Reach a Big Renewables Turning Point : BNEF - Bloomberg Business

I think I have posted on this before, but it is very important to understand how renewable energy can make fuel based energy more expensive. This is critical to understand how quickly the economics can turn against fossil fuels. So at the risk of repetition, let me set out an example.

The levelized cost of energy is a combination of fixed cost allocated over units of energy produced and variable costs directly associated with each unit of energy produced. The tricky thing is that the allocation of fixed costs depend on the assumed capacity factor prospectively and upon actual utilization retrospectively. So the retrospective is given by

RealizedLCOE = Fixed×CF÷Utilization + Variable

So let's consider a gas peaker which prospectively has a levelized cost of $185/MWh based on a capacity factor of 10%. Suppose also that the fixed cost at this CF is $135/MWh and variable $50/MWh, but the actual utilization is only 5% (and this is true of gas peakers in the US). So we realize the following levelized cost:

RealizedLCOE = 135×10%÷5% + 50 = $320/MWh

So the peak power that was supposed to cost 18.5c/kWh has blown up to 32c/kWh. We see that the realized cost is very sensitive to utilization.

So we all know about SolarCity's 14.5c/kWh PPA for a dispatchable solar project. Such a plant would already compete well with an new gas peaker at 18.5c/kWh or more. But realistically the utilization over the life of the plant is likely to be much less than the pro forma assumption of 10%. In fact with the encroachment of solar and wind over the next few years even a 5% lifetime utilization would be unsupportable. But optimistically at 5% utilization this plant costs 32c/kWh, and more conservatively at 2.5% utilization, the levelized cost reaches 59c/kWh. At this point, I do not see how any competent bank would be willing to lend for a new gas peaking plant. Even without Tesla bringing $250/kWh batteries to market, much more expensive batteries beat a new gas peaker quite handly.

So why is a dispatchable solar plant not subject to the same utilization problem that a gas peaker is? I see at least three factors. First, the solar power without storage can always be sold into the spot market. It can bid all the way down to zero if necessary. Second, battery packs are consumable over the cycle life. So long as cycles are not too infrequent, most of the cost of the battery is in fact a variable cost, not a fixed cost. Third, batteries are redeployable. If a facility was not utilizing cycles at a fast enough rate, surplus battery packs can be redeployed to another facility that will make better use of them. So most of the storage cost is truly a variable cost, while the fixed costs associated with solar are subject to underutilization owning to lower marginal cost competitions. So a dispatchable solar facility avoids nearly all the utilization risk that a gas peaker is faced with.

Once banks and bond investor figure this out, it will be lights out for any new funding for gas peakers. Moreover, any older plants in need of upgrades or major repairs will be met with the same financing problem. Batteries will find their way into the market. Once the transformation gets going, I think it will be quite swift.

Again, all one has to do is look at Germany. Solar hitting 5% of overall supply meant that on a lot of days solar was meeting 30-50% of demand at peak. No one could make any money selling wholesale juice. All the major utilities lost more than half their value, Eon tried to divest itself from production entirely and was halted by the govt. Imagine a top three energy supplier in the US begging to sell off all it's production!

Again, all one has to do is look at Germany. Solar hitting 5% of overall supply meant that on a lot of days solar was meeting 30-50% of demand at peak. No one could make any money selling wholesale juice. All the major utilities lost more than half their value, Eon tried to divest itself from production entirely and was halted by the govt. Imagine a top three energy supplier in the US begging to sell off all it's production!

That's a good point. And also in Germany we see a market for storage that is willing to pay in excess of $1000/kWh.

This also points to an additional advantage of dispatchable solar. It helps support midday prices. Actually I think that any fossil plant that can become subject to negative spot prices needs to contemplate buying its own batteries. This too would improve the dispatchability of these baseload plants, which would improve their utilization.

jhm, Batteries with solar may support supply shifting (from morning to evening) and potentially some storage for next day. But what if it's cloudy for multiple days and storage runs out and panels are not producing anything? How does that get factored into these Capacity Factor type calculations?

jhm, Batteries with solar may support supply shifting (from morning to evening) and potentially some storage for next day. But what if it's cloudy for multiple days and storage runs out and panels are not producing anything? How does that get factored into these Capacity Factor type calculations?

The 10kwh powerwall solarcity is selling doesn't support load shifting. They say they will use it to occasionally sell power when prices are very high. The frequency of selling power is set by the battery warranty.

Of course if they have sold power immediately before a power failure, the battery no longer provides backup.

The 10kwh powerwall solarcity is selling doesn't support load shifting. They say they will use it to occasionally sell power when prices are very high. The frequency of selling power is set by the battery warranty.

Of course if they have sold power immediately before a power failure, the battery no longer provides backup.

I was asking about the utility scale solar + battery farms, like the one SolarCity is building in Hawaii. That project has compelling economics, partly because it's in Hawaii where there is lots of sunshine year round (I assume). I am not sure how the economics will change if that project is perceived for north-east US.

One way this can play out is, as jhm and BNEF article point out, the peaker plants will become insanely expensive and thus the demand charges might sky rocket (if regulators allow for passing on those prices to consumers). This in turn will increase demand for customer sited storage. This virtuous cycle will play itself out until there is enough batteries cumulatively that a peaker plant is never ever needed. But this will take a lot of surplus batteries is my guess.

You make a good point about residential battery packs. Overall, when Musk unveiled batteries, he showed map of US and said all you need is a pixel of batteries to support the entire country. I am not sure if that is for a 'given day'. or if it is enough to support multiple days (no matter what the weather conditions are and what the demand changes are).

In any case, Musk and co seem to have some ideas. Both SolarCity and Tesla employed a ton of people in R&D to figure this out. I heard this over the grapevine. I trust them to come-up with good solutions.

Right, for the next 20 to 30 years the grid will sit of a glut of fossil and nuclear power plants. Baseload gas and coal will still be used to hand seasonal supply issues. Right now it is the peaker plant that is most vulnerable. Baseload plants need only meet average demand net of renewables, whIle batteries increasing handle the intradaily variation in net demand. This pushes the spot market to a narrow daily spread from peak to tough. So the peak prices get too low to support peaking plants. They get priced out of the market.

So specifically if there are too many rainy days in a row, the the store of energy in the grid declines and that triggers baseload plants to ramp up. Once the batteries get back to their usual storage levels, these marginal baseload plants ramp back down. So combined cycle NG plant gets something like 80% more energy out of gas than a combustion turbine. The only advantage that the CT plant has is that it can ramp up in about 10 minutes, but it thanks the CC plant several hours. Adding just a few hours of battery storage to a CC makes it even more responsive than a CT. CC plants are built for a 40 year life, so they're going to be around for quite awhile. Additionally, there are renewable sources of gas, so climate change is not the issue to worry about long-term. So CC gas plants plus batteries can be a long term solution for hanging seasonal demand and other backup. The question remains how much of this will remain economical for how long. Current utilization of CC plants is only about 55%, while CT plants are below 5%. Even at this utilization, I think CC gas is still cheaper than dispatchable solar. So dispatchable solar pushes out CT gas before knocking out CC gas.

a bigger problem than rain...might be snow. does anyone know of any solutions out there ..or companies working on a solution. it seems racking and tilting help, but does not snow play a huge limiting factor in solar? in Germany how do things work? is there huge variation in winter months for need for 'utility' power vs summer?

I was asking about the utility scale solar + battery farms, like the one SolarCity is building in Hawaii. That project has compelling economics, partly because it's in Hawaii where there is lots of sunshine year round (I assume). I am not sure how the economics will change if that project is perceived for north-east US.

One way this can play out is, as jhm and BNEF article point out, the peaker plants will become insanely expensive and thus the demand charges might sky rocket (if regulators allow for passing on those prices to consumers). This in turn will increase demand for customer sited storage. This virtuous cycle will play itself out until there is enough batteries cumulatively that a peaker plant is never ever needed. But this will take a lot of surplus batteries is my guess.

You make a good point about residential battery packs. Overall, when Musk unveiled batteries, he showed map of US and said all you need is a pixel of batteries to support the entire country. I am not sure if that is for a 'given day'. or if it is enough to support multiple days (no matter what the weather conditions are and what the demand changes are).

In any case, Musk and co seem to have some ideas. Both SolarCity and Tesla employed a ton of people in R&D to figure this out. I heard this over the grapevine. I trust them to come-up with good solutions.

The scenario in your second paragraph is quite interesting. I think it depends on a few things, specifically that batteries are by fiat excluded from the standby market. Otherwise, batteries could flood that market and drive down standby fees. But it would be economically absurd for regulators to go done that path as it becomes public assistance for unemployed generators. Essentially these standby capacity markets exist because plant owners cannot count on enough revenue from peak prices to finance the plant, while buyers of power need price protection from extremely high prices. So the capacity payments are a little like options. Utilties are willing to pay for the option to buy more power when supply is scarce. So the value of that option in economic terms is reduced as batteries reduce volatility, both volatility in power prices and in the gap between production and consumption volumes. Batteries smooth out both price and volume. So the value of a call option for stand by power should actually decline, and it would in an efficient market.

So daily global consumption of electricity is around 60 TWh, and Musk thinks that about 90 TWh of storage would suffice to eliminate all fossil fuel generation. So this is storage for 36 hours. Hydroelectric must factor into this, but otherwise this seems like overkill on battery storage.

This biggest economic changes will happen when the first hour of battery storage is added to a grid. Given that peak plants in the US is utilized 70 minutes on an average day, one hour of battery storage systemwide should be sufficient to displace all peak plants, so long as there is sufficient baseload capacity to recharge those batteries and this looks to be the case. One hour of storage globally is about 2.5 TWh of batteries and it would take one gigafactory 50 years to manufacture this. So obviously a lot of work is to be done, but the economic damage is done much sooner than full replacement. IIRC, about 6GW of new peak capacity is added annually to the global grid. So 12 to 24 GWh/year of battery production would saturate this market. Thus one Gigafactory producing 15 GWh of Powerpacks/walls can come damn close to wiping out the market for new peak capacity. Plus other battery makers will not stand still either. We are only about three years away from this.

SNOW

One of my arrays - 18 panels' worth - is tiltable, and the difference at our 63º latitude is such that summer-optimal and winter-optimal is quite a lot. However, after six years of experience, we have learned that the performance of the array is negligibly - truly: not measurable - different in the summer whether we have the panels tilted at the ideal angle versus the extremely steep (approximately 80-85 degrees) winter-optimal. So.....we keep them at that angle all year-round.

And, at that steepness, there is almost no problem with snow. There is an exception: at temps around the freeze point we do sometimes have tenacious ice form, which certainly drops production immensely, but that is one weather problem that very, very rarely is a concern for us!

A second array - my prototype 4-panel rack - is 65' / 20m off the ground, and I have two cables attached to each edge. I can vigorously work those cables to cause almost all snow to drop off. It's fun to watch an air-avalanche coming right at you! Just step out of its way in time.... :)

SNOW

One of my arrays - 18 panels' worth - is tiltable, and the difference at our 63º latitude is such that summer-optimal and winter-optimal is quite a lot. However, after six years of experience, we have learned that the performance of the array is negligibly - truly: not measurable - different in the summer whether we have the panels tilted at the ideal angle versus the extremely steep (approximately 80-85 degrees) winter-optimal. So.....we keep them at that angle all year-round.

And, at that steepness, there is almost no problem with snow. There is an exception: at temps around the freeze point we do sometimes have tenacious ice form, which certainly drops production immensely, but that is one weather problem that very, very rarely is a concern for us!

A second array - my prototype 4-panel rack - is 65' / 20m off the ground, and I have two cables attached to each edge. I can vigorously work those cables to cause almost all snow to drop off. It's fun to watch an air-avalanche coming right at you! Just step out of its way in time.... :)

Thanks AudubonB. much appreciated to get some insight into that. it is a pretty steep angle!

Status
Not open for further replies.