Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software upgrade for 2019 Long Range X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear G,

I've a December 2019 Model XLR, and I got the update last week. After I went thru a charge cycle, the charge status started reporting the longer-range (approximately 350 miles vs. the original approximately 325 miles), but I've seen no difference in the real world range. Admittedly I've only been driving it for a week that way, but all it looks like is a bigger mismatch between the EPA range and what we get on the road.

The ongoing energy monitor is the only way I know of to get an accurate assessment of your range. (This information is also what's used if you're using trip navigator to tell you what your percentages of remaining power will be.)

Like so many others, I would love it if Tesla would change the software so that the little battery indicator on the dashboard showed the real range, not the EPA range.

pax / Ctein

[ Please excuse any word-salad. Dragon Dictate in training! ]

Dear G,

I've a December 2019 Model XLR, and I got the update last week. After I went thru a charge cycle, the charge status started reporting the longer-range (approximately 350 miles vs. the original approximately 325 miles), but I've seen no difference in the real world range. Admittedly I've only been driving it for a week that way, but all it looks like is a bigger mismatch between the EPA range and what we get on the road.

The ongoing energy monitor is the only way I know of to get an accurate assessment of your range. (This information is also what's used if you're using trip navigator to tell you what your percentages of remaining power will be.)

Like so many others, I would love it if Tesla would change the software so that the little battery indicator on the dashboard showed the real range, not the EPA range.

pax / Ctein

[ Please excuse any word-salad. Dragon Dictate in training! ]

Keep in mind you might have always had the hardware and all that’s different is the “estimated” numbers.

So the difference between LR and LR+ could still be quite real.

The old numbers were EPA estimates too.

Just because you see no difference doesn’t tell us much. The only real way is to put an LR and LR+ side by side with similar charge and run them.

of course the estimate might might not be what anyone gets. But it still probably does mean something has improved to get EPA to add 25 miles range.

If you didn’t have the hardware all along you might be doing even less all along.

Keep in mind you might have always had the hardware and all that’s different is the “estimated” numbers.

So the difference between LR and LR+ could still be quite real.

Dear MS,

Agreed. I wasn't suggesting that my (or OP's) car should magically gain real range. There are hardware differences between the LR and the LR+. But the OP was talking about the LR, same as I have. What I was letting him know was that the change in bookkeeping was not likely to have any effect on his real mileage. Unless he also changed cars [smile].

pax / Ctein

Reactions: mswlogo