Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love that Tesla has a sense of humor, but I wish they would quit wasting time on this sort of stuff and spend that time working on actual improvements.
As much as I agree with you in principle, I'm quite sure these sort of nonsense features are only given to new interns while they're training up to do real work. It's probably best to not let inexperienced people do work on the more critical software components (though plenty could be said about that...)

Reactions: PrGrPa and bmah
As much as I agree with you in principle, I'm quite sure these sort of nonsense features are only given to new interns while they're training up to do real work.

They released an update that is completely worthless. I would like to see updates with real meat...versus a few gimmicks. Maybe that intern could have worked on making the auto wipers actually work like the auto wipers on my sons $20k Mazda?

Did you not get 2018.48.12? Nothing new there...and if someone wants the fireplace without heat turn the fan off on the wheel scroll.
Yep - just went from 2018.48.12 to 2018.49.20 this morning. First time I tried Romance Mode, though.
As I previously stated when I posted the notes...nothing new...
As promised... Here are all the notes from 2018.49.20
Doesn’t look like anything new...

View attachment 369905
View attachment 369903
View attachment 369904

As much as I agree with you in principle, I'm quite sure these sort of nonsense features are only given to new interns while they're training up to do real work. It's probably best to not let inexperienced people do work
on the more critical software components (though plenty could be said about that...)

There are many ways to involve interns and new college graduate hires in the development process/cycle that will allow them to contribute to the official/formal/paid-for features. Good technical leads/managers create processes and understand their products in such a way to be able to fit a given worker into a productive situation. Despite it being a somewhat common practice, it is wasteful to invent trivial/irrelevant/throwaway tasks for any worker. Tesla has repeatedly demonstrated that they lack effective processes and have questionable management practices in their software development approach.

Anecdotally, I've never had to create "nonsense features" for any new hires on any team I've led. Everyone does "real work."

After many weeks of use this update seems buggier than prior updates. As far as autopilot goes, the car does steer better but it brakes more aggressively and erratically on surface streets.

Here are the bugs I’ve experienced:

1. The Seat/Mirror memory position button shows a garbled message indicating memory corruption. The button that normally shows RESTORE displayed R S O R E. Rebooting the MCU restores the correct spelling.

2. The Tesla app interior temperature now displays incorrectly when the car is turned off. It now reads about 10 degrees hotter than it really is inside the car (as confirmed with IR Temp gun showing surface temps and an air temp thermometer). The instant I turn the car on the temp drops 10 degrees to the real temp. When I turn off the car, the temperature jumps backup. The car is parked in a garage and it is not hot outside.

3. The Suspension went into jack mode when the car was turned on and remained stuck in this mode until I drove the car a few miles.

4. Upon entering the MCU was dead and required a very slow reboot.

Have the same issues, plus many more.
I'm so fed up resetting the frozen screen up to 3 times a day.
Really love driving the car, but theese bugs kind of ruins everything....
Please Tesla, I need a new working update quite fast.

They released an update that is completely worthless. I would like to see updates with real meat...versus a few gimmicks. Maybe that intern could have worked on making the auto wipers actually work like the auto wipers on my sons $20k Mazda?
Worse than worthless, they've broken functions that used to work, they've caused a lot of frustration for owners needing to reset the MCU daily to get things to work, MCU's freezing up daily as well. The Easter eggs tell me they don't listen to customers grievances, who is asking for fireplaces and games when there is issues with the overall MCU operation?

Most likely the next significant release will be when we are all on MCU3....the new hardware capable of managing all 8 cameras at once and still have enough processing power to manage the neural network and other processes. I suspect the developers are mostly working on the new, but yet to be released, chipsets.

Most likely the next significant release will be when we are all on MCU3....the new hardware capable of managing all 8 cameras at once and still have enough processing power to manage the neural network and other processes. I suspect the developers are mostly working on the new, but yet to be released, chipsets.

I can't tell if you're being serious. This basically reads like a parody of Tesla fans making excuses for Tesla.

If you're being serious, I'm not sure what you mean by "when we are all on MCU3". There is no MCU3, there's MCU2, and Tesla has said they're not upgrading MCU1 to MCU2. Probably you mean HW3, the new APE chipset? What about all the AP2 cars that aren't going to be upgraded to HW3? We just accept the bugs introduced by V9 for the rest of the time we own our cars?

Or maybe you mean that after they release HW3 they'll come back and fix the bugs in V9 for existing cars. That is a minimum of 6 months away, and if history is any predictor of the past, the first 12 months after HW3 release it will be buggy as heck and they will be spending all their time putting out fires (major bugs that brick cars) and struggling to reach parity with HW2/2.5 on stability and performance. So what you're saying then would seem to be that we should shut up and live with the V9 regressions for 18 months.

Reactions: am_dmd
I can't tell if you're being serious. This basically reads like a parody of Tesla fans making excuses for Tesla.

If you're being serious, I'm not sure what you mean by "when we are all on MCU3". There is no MCU3, there's MCU2, and Tesla has said they're not upgrading MCU1 to MCU2. Probably you mean HW3, the new APE chipset? What about all the AP2 cars that aren't going to be upgraded to HW3? We just accept the bugs introduced by V9 for the rest of the time we own our cars?

Or maybe you mean that after they release HW3 they'll come back and fix the bugs in V9 for existing cars. That is a minimum of 6 months away, and if history is any predictor of the past, the first 12 months after HW3 release it will be buggy as heck and they will be spending all their time putting out fires (major bugs that brick cars) and struggling to reach parity with HW2/2.5 on stability and performance. So what you're saying then would seem to be that we should shut up and live with the V9 regressions for 18 months.

Just for kicks....Elon said so :confused:o_O
3EAF2A15-4A70-4A3F-8169-D09B1D56948C.png

I can't believe how behind the software updates are. They used to be every 2 weeks for at least a small release, and we're not all on 4-6 week old software. That's pretty unusual. We should be seeing at least a 2019.2 or so by now...
If firmware updates are as frequent as "every 2 weeks", it's going to be plenty of whiners saying "WTF, why don't they focus on releasing the stable version instead of every 2 weeks?" :)

Reactions: bmah
If firmware updates are as frequent as "every 2 weeks", it's going to be plenty of whiners saying "WTF, why don't they focus on releasing the stable version instead of every 2 weeks?" :)

Yep... read through the forum and you'll see plenty of that over the past several years. Personally, I like the leading edge revisions, and I'm willing to put up with a few bugs short term.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Yep... read through the forum and you'll see plenty of that over the past several years. Personally, I like the leading edge revisions, and I'm willing to put up with a few bugs short term.
They need to split how things are rolled out then to accommodate everyone.
1 - Stable releases, all bugs fixed, all functions fully operational, updates every 3 or 4 months.
2 - Early releases, expect bugs, new features on test, updates every 3 or 4 weeks.
Currently we are somewhere between 1 and 2 and when you get the notification that an update is available you don't know what you are getting in terms of stability and functionality.

Reactions: rnortman and ChrML