Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.46.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I finally got my v9 2018.46.2 update today, P100D March 2017... and I noticed it was also in Jack mode immediately after updating. I turned off Jack mode and have plugged it into charge, so will see what I come back to... but I never experienced this before the v9 update today. So, it figures that it's a bug in this particular firmware.
Thanks,
This is very helpful anecdotally.
I recommend that you call Tesla to add this as a data point for them to increase their urgency. I would mention that you know you’re not alone with this issue and that technicians are working on it, but that you would like them to look at your VIN as well for additional data.
Just curious was your car set to very high (Smart location tagged?)
I did find out that it doesn’t matter whether it’s plugged in the charger not.
Just needs to sit around for a while. (2hrs+)

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Does anyone have issue with deep sleep of the car?

I have AP2.5 with MCU 1

Even turn on energy saving and disable always connect, the car does not sleep overnight.
The battery drains 5% overnight...

Tried reset Tesla account password and no help.

I have AP2.5 with MCU 1

Even turn on energy saving and disable always connect, the car does not sleep overnight.

I had this the first day after the update to 46.2 the second day no problem.
Maybe updating firmware in the background drains the battery

Apparently, there is some sort firmware issue that results from the “Suspension computer” waking up as little as milliseconds before the rest of the car. The “Suspension Computer” sends a signal to the main computer as to its status. By the time the main computer is awake it has missed communication And assumes there is an issue with the suspension system and puts it in to fail safe (Jack Mode)
Apparently this is an issue that had occurred in a previous version of software that was fixed.
The belief is that it has somehow come back.
I was told that the fix is now in the works and will appear soon in an upcoming software release.
Interesting. I hope that while they are fixing it, they would consider making it more obvious that the car went into jack mode without the user needed to go into the menu to find out. Somethings like when turning on the car, immediately show on the display what has changed about the car since the last time you were in it.

Reactions: Doctt

I have AP2.5 with MCU 1

MCU 2 here but I actually have quite the opposite experience. My MX used to suffer from insomnia before V9. It would sleep 1h and then wake up systematically during the night. During the day, it would not sleep at all! Vampire drain was awful.

Ever since I got 2018.46.2, it's like my car has become narcoleptic! Last night it went to sleep at 8.45 PM and only woke up at 4 AM to charge (scheduled). It then went back to sleep 5 minutes after finishing charging and it slept until I drove it 6h later.

Vampire drain was practically zero during those hours!

Seems like 2018.46.2 rollout has halted from yesterday to today. Still about 1/3 of the fleet on an older .42 or .44 version.
There's a bunch of new installs on Teslafi today, but those might have have been downloaded yesterday or even before and they got installed today.

Anyways, 2018.48 should be around the corner, since the new Tesla app has new features only supported on that new version.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Interesting. I hope that while they are fixing it, they would consider making it more obvious that the car went into jack mode without the user needed to go into the menu to find out. Somethings like when turning on the car, immediately show on the display what has changed about the car since the last time you were in it.
According to the manual, if I’m reading it correctly, it is supposed to show this icon:
9CB11BAA-2D68-4A16-BAC5-DA8BCA8BEFD6.jpeg

However, I do not see it in the IC.
Pics of both the MCU & IC from this morning attached (tried in Park, Drive & Reverse & with seatbelt on)
65F22449-2446-4D1F-BDB7-BA20E9339326.jpeg

8BBF5B4F-5636-4498-8CD2-E623E852964D.jpeg

BB3F4269-0472-480A-AEBF-DCD6F956B742.jpeg

Is this setting for newer or older cars? I don’t have this option under “Vehicle”. Mine is a 2015 with 2018.42.2
If yours is a 2015 then you have AP1 which has rain sensors, and not AP2 which uses the neural network to control the autowipers; hence they are not beta and not set from the MCU. Goes to show that people who complain that rain sensors are infinitely better than Tesla's approach are not in universal agreement with your experience...

A great example of why a performance improvement can actually break something. We run into this in software all the time; awfully frustrating it is.
Yes,
Hiccups along the way...
But it’s always an evolution towards dramatic improvement.
For example the differences in EAP in the last year are astonishing. Not necessarily from one update to the next, but over the long run.

Yep, but it's not quite out of the hole it dropped users of AP1 into yet (anyone say speed sign recognition?), and the rate of progress is not nearly where it would have to be to justify Elons predictions, unfortunately.
I get the speed sign recognition point, but in terms of actual driving performance and safety, the progress has been astounding and eclipsed AP1 this year for sure.

I just arrived in Lake Tahoe, climbing 5000 ft up a mountain mountain pass with salt and grime all over the road. In 6 hours of driving there was only 1 time where I took over with the exception of traffic lights / stop signs, and that was only because AP2 slowed down for a car that drifted into my lane when I wanted to hold down my horn and drive past him instead. I’ve taken this trip dozens of times with AP1 and AP2. Before there were long stretches of mountain passes where the curves and hill crests made it impossible to use AP. AP1 wouldn’t even offer itself on some of these roads with wide lane markings that it refuses to accept.

And it’s not even just driving performance. AP2 recognizes a lot of safety situations correctly — ever since week 28 or so this year, it’s correctly been identifying oncoming cars turning left. It correctly deals with cars cutting into your lane at short distances. It can identify sides and backs of stopped semi trailers and other irregularly shaped cars. In my days with an AP1 loaner, even comparing against pre-v9 AP2, I was astonished at the sheer number of times I had to take over in city driving because AP1 wanted to plow into something that AP2 has reliably handled on my daily commute.

Driving performance wise, all of my passengers agree, something huge happened with AP2’s progress this year. Whether you compare against the mess that was AP2 from launch until this March... or you want to compare against good old AP1. Yes they still have some feature gaps to close, but at the same time, they’ve done a great job of closing some of those gaps. The 360 surround view and classifying something like 9 different forms of cars is beyond AP1 for sure.

Not saying it hasn't made progress. It's just nowhere near the progress that was promised or would still be necessary to get to any of Elons predictions. I mean, here we are, it's almost end of 2018 and there's not a SINGLE feature of FSD. NOA is EAP and only available in continental North America.

TL;DR: Yes, progress this year was very noticable, but it's not fast enough.

Oh and to get back on topic; today my "lock on departure" (sorry my car's set to German) malfunctioned on .46.2, it wouldn't lock the car when I left. Luckily I noticed before I left my car in town. It locked fine manually or through the app, but not after just leaving the car. Worked fine again after another reset. Just as a heads up. Could become a nasty surprise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan Fiala