Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software 8.0 rollout questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most major updates have taken several weeks to roll out, and have included lots of builds. I think I once got 5 builds in less than a month.
Do they typically deploy these new builds to everyone who's gotten the earlier builds, or are even these incremental builds rolled out slowly? I'm wondering if some early recipients of 8.0 will have to wait until a number of incremental updates have gone (partially) out
to see their problems addressed.

I wouldn't expect an update quickly unless its a very serious bug.
How many small-to-medium bugs does it take to equal a very serious bug? One of my projects for this weekend is to carefully
document all of the bugs (that I can find) in the interaction of XM channels, Favorites, and the various controls. I noticed so many
while I was driving that it wasn't safe to try to keep them all straight (i.e. my attention needed to be on the road).

Since I'm relatively new, I'm curious how long other version updates have taken to rollout fully? I would suspect that Tesla is trickling out 8.0 (2.36.108) to see how it goes, then will patch what needs fixing before allowing a larger, more encompassing update to all the vehicles- am I right?

That's what Early Access is for. It provides beta tests before the rollout to all. Assume they've done that with 8.0

How many small-to-medium bugs does it take to equal a very serious bug? One of my projects for this weekend is to carefully
document all of the bugs (that I can find) in the interaction of XM channels, Favorites, and the various controls. I noticed so many
while I was driving that it wasn't safe to try to keep them all straight (i.e. my attention needed to be on the road).
I hope you send that list to Tesla. In the past with the 7.0 rollout there were just as many bugs (roughly and based on memory) but the kind of thing that would trigger an update was something serious like people couldn't charge properly for example. I haven't heard of anything really bad yet though. Its still early but eventually they will prioritize and send a new update.

I've got no idea what percentage of owners use or actually log their update into the Tracker, but having looked over the entire timeline of V8, I have to say it looks almost like a trickle as opposed to a full out rollout - 377 seems insignificant.

Listening to what's not sorted out, I'd say that Tesla needs to develop a procedural outline for those involved with beta testing and find people who are more capable of thoroughly testing it all better.

I've got no idea what percentage of owners use or actually log their update into the Tracker, but having looked over the entire timeline of V8, I have to say it looks almost like a trickle as opposed to a full out rollout - 377 seems insignificant.

Listening to what's not sorted out, I'd say that Tesla needs to develop a procedural outline for those involved with beta testing and find people who are more capable of thoroughly testing it all better.
Based on the data from TeslaFi and Tracker my *guess* is 60% and it's all U.S. Model S. No other countries no Model X's.
Agree on the need to improve the beta program testing process.

As of a few minutes ago, there were 263 Model S's upgraded to v8.0 and 129 on the previous version of v7.1. I'm assuming that any earlier versions of v7.1 are on cars whose owners have chosen not to update, since the latest was a significant bug fix.

This suggests that the upgrade has been applied to about 67.1% of the Model S fleet who accept upgrades.

There are two Model X's who have been upgraded -- both of whom earlier had beta versions of the firmware.

As of a few minutes ago, there were 263 Model S's upgraded to v8.0 and 129 on the previous version of v7.1. I'm assuming that any earlier versions of v7.1 are on cars whose owners have chosen not to update, since the latest was a significant bug fix.

This suggests that the upgrade has been applied to about 67.1% of the Model S fleet who accept upgrades.

There are two Model X's who have been upgraded -- both of whom earlier had beta versions of the firmware.
Im seeing 372 MS and 0 MX in Tracker right now.

Tesla should not only pause rolling out 8.0 to any more cars, the UI problems are serious enough that they should consider providing the ability for owners with 8.0 the ability to roll back to 7.1 - and give the software team more time to fix the major UI problems.

This is more than just a convenience issue - the UI problems introduced to the navigation software and media player pose a potential safety issue, because the extra complexity introduced increases driver distraction.

And before Tesla widely distributes 8.0 to any more cars, they should have an "open beta" and give more drivers an opportunity to bang on it - provide feedback - and get any major problems fixed, before it is rolled out to more cars.

The problems should be fixable - but there are so many, it may take some time to get the changes made - and then thoroughly tested.

What are the problems people are having? I've been on 8.0 for about a week now with no issues noted. I've seen the mention of difficulties with the media player. I haven't had any but that's likely because I'm not using a functionality some of you might be. But beyond the media player what's broken?

Since the 8.0 update was installed, even though the car is only supposed to go into sleep mode overnight, I've found the smartphone app has difficulty reaching my car much of the time.

At least with the overheat protection, it will hopefully not be as important to turn on the AC before returning to the car...

Since the 8.0 update was installed, even though the car is only supposed to go into sleep mode overnight, I've found the smartphone app has difficulty reaching my car much of the time.

At least with the overheat protection, it will hopefully not be as important to turn on the AC before returning to the car...
Would go into sleep mode only at night if Energy Saving is set to OFF. Seems ON is a better option since it would always go to sleep when not in use right? This from the Owners Manual:

"Saving Energy

Model S has an energy-saving feature that reduces the amount of energy being consumed when Model S is not in use. Touch Controls > Displays > Energy Saving and choose from the following options:

• OFF. Model S shifts to the energy-saving mode at night (10 pm to 5 am).

• ON. Significantly less energy is consumed whenever Model S is not in use. The start- up time of the instrument panel and Bluetooth could be slower.

• Always Connected. Preserves cell connectivity when energy saving is active. This allows the mobile app to connect to Model S more quickly, and provides immediate 3G internet access when entering the car. Slightly more energy is consumed."