Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So... what base + options combo are you going to order eventually?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Z,

If there was just the driver the phone would be setup while parked and then the driver would receive turn-by-turn voice instructions from the phone.

Neither of us have phone conversations while driving.

Larry

Thank You!
but for all of the other people out there holding their phone in front of their face while it is on speaker phone...this is not hands free.

Sorry, i really hate cell phones. I haven't had one since 2002 or so and people are typically really rude w/ their phones in many ways.

On a different note, has there been a 'beta' or more current S produced in the blue, green or brown colors? and if so, has anyone seen it? I'm thinking the brown might be a pretty nice color for not showing dirt. And if it is a Performance version it would be a good color to 'hide' the beast

I think the pano roof is the best option on the car outside the performance package. They've designed it to block most of the heat and most of the sun and there's always the shade to fall back on when the temps are over 100.

I think for some folks, the Signature Red will be easy to pass up on once they realize that it's basically around a $5,000 option. Unless, like me, you really, REALLY want the red, then you're basically paying a lot of money for badging and a couple of months early delivery. I'm most likely sticking with the Sig red because it's what I really want.

The non-signature performance package is a great buy! Basically a 4.4sec supercar for $85k!

On a different note, has there been a 'beta' or more current S produced in the blue, green or brown colors? and if so, has anyone seen it? I'm thinking the brown might be a pretty nice color for not showing dirt. And if it is a Performance version it would be a good color to 'hide' the beast

I few years back in Germany I had a BMW M5 in metallic brown and it was indeed great for not showing the dirt. BTW, I had a tan leather interior which looked really good as a combination.

I few years back in Germany I had a BMW M5 in metallic brown and it was indeed great for not showing the dirt. BTW, I had a tan leather interior which looked really good as a combination.

Same combo on my Q5. It hides dirt better than black, but it is still a dark color so it does start to look sort of "faded" when dirty. Amazing when clean though!

I always see dumbasses with their phone in hand, speaking on speaker phone or something. if this is YOU i want to run you off the road, FYI. PLEASE don't do this!!!!!

Sorry, i really hate cell phones. I haven't had one since 2002 or so and people are typically really rude w/ their phones in many ways.

Hi Z,

Now that you've gotten all that off of your chest, have you considered reducing your caffine intake? :wink:

Larry

Every pano/sun/moon-roof I've ever had increased the sound level in the cabin. Not only does glass allow more sound in from outside, but the roof creates several seams that trap air and create noise. Further, on the interior, the glass reflects sound instead of absorbing it in the headliner.

So as pretty as the pano is, I'm going with a solid roof.

Every pano/sun/moon-roof I've ever had increased the sound level in the cabin. Not only does glass allow more sound in from outside, but the roof creates several seams that trap air and create noise. Further, on the interior, the glass reflects sound instead of absorbing it in the headliner.

Good to know. This is leaning me back towards getting the solid roof. Maybe the Signature red with black top? Not sure how good that would look. I'm imagine as long as you have an internet connection (and pay for it) you could still get SiriusXM via the internet option if you don't get the panoramic roof.

Hi Robert,

Hmmm...despite having built an acoustically treated home theater I never thought of that. Duh.

At first living in Florida I had ruled out the panoramic roof due to the lack of a sunshade. Then with the addition of the manual sunshade I was thinking well, why not. Now I'm stuck in the middle. To help deal with reverberant rooms, in addition to acoustic treatments, electronic room correction software (equalization) is often used. I wonder whether the Sound Studio Package option will include equalization to help deal with such a large expanse of glass?

For example, Audyssey Car Audio

While car audio systems are more frequently complete entertainment systems with powerful multi-speaker packages, the difficult speaker placement, small speakers and reflective surfaces mean that even the most expensive car audio systems can be inconsistent and distorted. Car manufacturers are turning to Audyssey to solve the audio problems specific to car interiors. Audyssey digital technologies help overcome a car cabin’s acoustic problems and deliver clear, natural and enveloping sound for every passenger – so you can truly have home theater sound on the go.

Larry

Last edited:

Funny... I don't recall ever hearing extra wind noise from the sunroof of my G37, or my old Murano. It's far more common to get a wind noise leak on the windows than on the doors, in my experience.

I can't decide on what I want. I have a fairly regular 40km drive (one way) on the highway, yes, I could take back roads, but most often would be back roads.

I'm already getting the 260, I know that. I can't decide on the air suspension. If I get air suspension does that mean improved mileage based with that (ie: 260 + %) or do I need the funky hubs and the air suspension to get the 260? The rest of my driving is around town so I'm not concerned there.

I'll probably skip the tech package (just a bit too expensive for most things I dont care about - echoing the fact that if I'm driving around town, I wont need GPS). Probably go with leather seats so I can the heat warmers, and the pano roof.

I'm also concerned about reliability on the suspension as I have active dampering suspension on my acura mdx and one of the front struts went and it was about $1k to replace, so I want to limit parts that can break on my Tesla.

This is something I never thought about but it does make sense.

What about the fact that you've got a huge 17" screen that controls everything and you add this massive sun roof so the sun can shine right down on the screen. I would think there would be some major glare issues caused by the sun roof!?

This is something I never thought about but it does make sense.

What about the fact that you've got a huge 17" screen that controls everything and you add this massive sun roof so the sun can shine right down on the screen. I would think there would be some major glare issues caused by the sun roof!?

Well, if they are really using the same screen as the MacBook Pro 17, then it is the matte finish, which has much better anti-glare properties than the glossy. That, and the pano roof has a cover now!

Funny... I don't recall ever hearing extra wind noise from the sunroof of my G37, or my old Murano. It's far more common to get a wind noise leak on the windows than on the doors, in my experience.

We have an '02 ls430 and the sunroof is really quiet. the windows on the doors are quiet too because of the way they have two layers of insulation/rubber around where the glass is. I expect the S to have equal or better sound insulation and I'd hope the glass roof shouldn't make that much difference in sound. Since the air flows over the S with little drag shouldn't the wind noise be reduced anyways?

We have an '02 ls430 and the sunroof is really quiet. the windows on the doors are quiet too because of the way they have two layers of insulation/rubber around where the glass is. I expect the S to have equal or better sound insulation and I'd hope the glass roof shouldn't make that much difference in sound. Since the air flows over the S with little drag shouldn't the wind noise be reduced anyways?

I'm more concerned about the passenger cabin becoming a highly reverberant space due to being encased in glass all around. Robert's remark got me thinking. "Further, on the interior, the glass reflects sound instead of absorbing it in the headliner."

Nevertheless, the panoramic roof is a very cool feature that is very attractively priced so I am really torn on whether to get it. Getting a test drive is going to be very helpful to resolve this issue. However, I doubt I'll be in a position to test with and without the panoramic roof before having to lock in a decision.

Larry