Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Much For Model S's Transported In Only Closed Trucks...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm actually very impressed with the pics - taking phone pics while driving is a challenging task! Nice job. :)

Not to forget completely irresponsible and (here) highly illegal. Definitely NOT a nice job! Just having told us about it would have sufficed. :mad:
(I might add that we almost had a terrible accident because some idiot in an oncoming vehicle was doing something with his phone while driving that looked exactly like taking pictures. No responsible person should do such a thing!)

Anyway, why should the cars be transported in enclosed trailers? Every other carmanufacturer transports his vehicles in this fashion, i.e. in the open. Cars for export/or very long distance delivery are transported on trains in the open, cars for delivery on open trucks. All the time. If something really happended during transport, it is repaired before you even pick up your car at the dealer. So no problem really.

Last edited:
As has been stated elsewhere, its common in the car industry for cars to be transported uncovered. Cars routinely arrive at dealerships with scratches, chips or whatever, and have to go through an extensive prep process before they are sold.

The main difference with Tesla is that the cars are made to order, and the delivery process (and lack of physical infrastructure/space) doesn't always allow for proper prep work. Tesla has done a lot of work on this front by reducing the number of contractors involved and centralizing distribution operations, but they obviously have a ton of work left to do in order to match the seemingly seamless experience of customers at most dealerships who might not ever realize that their perfect new car had had chips and scratches that were worked out before they ever laid eyes on it.

I saw a (pearl?) white 60 getting ready to leave the Costa Mesa service center this morning for delivery in Cathedral City near Palm Springs. It was already prepped and detailed, and was going to be trailered by a special Tesla truck.

IMG_20130730_095111.jpg
IMG_20130730_095210.jpg

Roadtrip for Pittsburgh to Chicago last month -- saw 2 fully loaded open carriers pass with MS onboard. Appeared to have minimal/no protective coverings on most of the cars. Was actually pretty excited to see so many cars heading East. I'm pretty surprised they truck them from Cali. I would have thought train transport would be cheaper for that distance.