Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My own take on Highland, I like the new rear, I think the old front is better, but heres a hybrid...

Attachments

• org.jpeg
    org.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 77
  • hybrid.jpeg
    hybrid.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: zoomer0056
What surprises me is that Highland is just an LCI (as the Germans would call it - “Life Cycle Improvement”) and not a new car. The Model 3 launched in 2017 so it’s now six years old. Most manufacturers would be moving onto a completely new model in that timeframe - e.g. BMW e46 ran from 1997 and was replaced in 2004, the Audi A4 B5 variant from 1994 to 2000, and the MB C Class gen 4 from 2014 to 2021. All had LCIs within those start/end dates.

Apropos of nothing but I sat in a 23 plate BMW 430i today, to move it around a car park, and I was struck by just how nice the interior materials were. The seats were leagues above my M3P one (and this is just a regular M Power car, not an M3), far more side bolster support, etc. Felt like I was much lower slung in the car too.

I’d forgotten just how good German marques were inside. Obviously far too many buttons, but the difference in material quality in all aspects of the car is night and day. The screens (2) were really nice too, really immersive.

How does this relate to Highland? Well, I was interested in switching my 2020 car next year when it becomes available here (or sooner), but looking at this BMW and then thinking about all of the things that don’t work on Teslas generally, or are conspicuously absent - I’d be buying a car with no functional parking assist, crap auto wipers, matrix headlights that don’t do anything (pretty lol that they were delivered on 2021 cars here and Tesla replaced the car before ever bothering to get it working). The fact I’ve had no discernible benefit from buying FSD irks me too.

Starting to think the only thing I’d really be buying the new one for is the software UX.

• Love
Reactions: GlynG and Leejmoff
Apropos of nothing but I sat in a 23 plate BMW 430i today, to move it around a car park, and I was struck by just how nice the interior materials were. The seats were leagues above my M3P one (and this is just a regular M Power car, not an M3), far more side bolster support, etc. Felt like I was much lower slung in the car too.

I’d forgotten just how good German marques were inside. Obviously far too many buttons, but the difference in material quality in all aspects of the car is night and day. The screens (2) were really nice too, really immersive.

How does this relate to Highland? Well, I was interested in switching my 2020 car next year when it becomes available here (or sooner), but looking at this BMW and then thinking about all of the things that don’t work on Teslas generally, or are conspicuously absent - I’d be buying a car with no functional parking assist, crap auto wipers, matrix headlights that don’t do anything (pretty lol that they were delivered on 2021 cars here and Tesla replaced the car before ever bothering to get it working). The fact I’ve had no discernible benefit from buying FSD irks me too.

Starting to think the only thing I’d really be buying the new one for is the software UX.
Right now the only thing tesla has is the network and software. Range is also better but once everyone catches up they are screwed, unless they reduce their ridiculous profits to under cut all other manufactures.. Which I believe they could

but once everyone catches up they are screwed
Someone (with no sense of reality) will be along soon to tell you that Tesla are so ahead in EV development that no other manufacturer has even a scoobies of getting close for at least 10 years. Which those of us rooted in the real world know is complete tosh.

Just a shame that Tesla, with their incredibly advanced technology, are totally incapable of making auto wipers or matrix headlights work. Or, for that matter, delivering FSD anytime soon. Despite all the hype it’s still just a Level 2 driver assist in permanent beta, and that won’t change anytime soon.

....don't forget that, having proved they could equip cars with a perfectly adequate Park Assist system, they then chose replace it with a really rubbish one!
Yeah probably Tesla priorities not leaving customers stranded and making sure EV adoption happens with a robust and easy to us changing network than including features people never use. But if you hate parking yourself, you can always buy the competition who gives a damn about that vs the entire ev infrastructure. My friend had to get a tow truck for being stranded in a Volvo EV after being routed to a charging station still under construction. I should ask if the car helped him park tho. Perhaps he will remember how good of a parking job it was vs the hotel room he had to rent in the middle of the night when considering his next car.

Yeah probably Tesla priorities not leaving customers stranded and making sure EV adoption happens with a robust and easy to us changing network than including features people never use. But if you hate parking yourself, you can always buy the competition who gives a damn about that vs the entire ev infrastructure. My friend had to get a tow truck for being stranded in a Volvo EV after being routed to a charging station still under construction. I should ask if the car helped him park tho. Perhaps he will remember how good of a parking job it was vs the hotel room he had to rent in the middle of the night when considering his next car.
Well said

Reactions: navguy12

Really? 🤣

So if they are so busy prioritising 'not leaving customers stranded' why did they introduce what must have been a significant distraction and internal resource drain by deleting USS and re-inventing this particular very well devloped 'wheel' with a camera based system?!

Based on posts here and elsewhere, I am pretty sure you are a little (!) wide of the mark when you say that no-one uses this system - forums are full of people who appreciate the guidance offered by Park Assist in highlighting obstacles / estimating distances to these when parking!

Last edited:
A BMW i4 is a better quality car than a Model 3 but it costs over £10k more to buy.

They are in the same segment but they don’t compete at the same price points. You get what you pay for, if it wasn’t a better car, I’d be concerned. If you want a better car, buy the BMW if you can afford it.…

An ID.5 is more in line with a Model 3 price wise, I know which I’d rather have….

Can we just leave it there?

A BMW i4 is a better quality car than a Model 3 but it costs over £10k more to buy.

They are in the same segment but they don’t compete at the same price points. You get what you pay for, if it wasn’t a better car, I’d be concerned. If you want a better car, buy the BMW if you can afford it.…

An ID.5 is more in line with a Model 3 price wise, I know which I’d rather have….

Can we just leave it there?
To get an i4 with similar perfomance and spec it's probably closer to £20k difference...

I've still got 2 years left on my M3 and the exact debate i'm having is what to replace it with and it's coming down to another M3LR or go back to ICE and a 430i(after having one as a hire for about a week i really did like it) I wouldn't buy a non Tesla electric right now due to the infrastructure but that may change over the next couple years.

Reactions: Doudeau
What surprises me is that Highland is just an LCI (as the Germans would call it - “Life Cycle Improvement”) and not a new car. The Model 3 launched in 2017 so it’s now six years old. Most manufacturers would be moving onto a completely new model in that timeframe - e.g. BMW e46 ran from 1997 and was replaced in 2004, the Audi A4 B5 variant from 1994 to 2000, and the MB C Class gen 4 from 2014 to 2021. All had LCIs within those start/end dates.
Is it an LCI? Tesla have always said they will only ever constantly upgrade their cars and never release a new model generation of that car. However they’ve changed the structure of the car, the interior quite a bit and the exterior to a lesser degree. Other than the fact it looks closer to the last generation Model 3 than a German car might between generations, it does feel like a new generation. 50% new parts is quite a bit.