Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slowly Leaking almost clear oily substance near passenger rear wheel, skip pad is damp left poking between the rear wheels, what could it be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First Post- I just discovered a little area of oil just near my passenger rear wheel under my 2014 model S with 54k miles on it. I then noticed my rear skid pad is also damp looking. The oil is not green, maybe slightly pink, but more clear to peachy maybe( see the napkin picture attached) I think the dirt on the napkin is from the floor, it just look clear when look at it on the floor.
Does anyone know what it is or how concerned I should be? I already plan to book and service appointment but would like to know what to expect.
Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 227
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 126
If it feels slippery, then it's not brake fluid. Brake fluid feels very dry compared to oils like gear oil.

Sounds like you should pull off undertray panel to take a look. The liquid may have traveled across the panel to the passenger rear wheel, so the source of the leak may not be in the rear wheel area.

The only things to leak on these cars are gear oil, coolant, wiper fluid and brake fluid.

If it feels slippery, then it's not brake fluid. Brake fluid feels very dry compared to oils like gear oil.

Sounds like you should pull off undertray panel to take a look. The liquid may have traveled across the panel to the passenger rear wheel, so the source of the leak may not be in the rear wheel area.

The only things to leak on these cars are gear oil, coolant, wiper fluid and brake fluid.
It’s at Tesla now so I will find out and report back.
The oil is almost clear and smells like lubricant or motor oil, definetly patrolilum based but fairly light weight. I would has suspected brake fluid but I haven’t noticed and brake pedal pressure changes.

blue is the coolant, the diff oil is red or orange depending on which model number your motor is
Ok, I got a call from Tesla Service. The oil was from my rear wheel drive shaft seals had blown. I haven’t heard of anyone talking about that a a possible fluid. So we will have to add that to the list.
For the record the oil is clear with a slight yellow tinge that can only be seen on a white napkin. It’s density is simular to motor oil. The leak was slow and on the inside of the rear wheel.
Hope this helps somebody. My Tesla only has 57k on it. So keep an eye out for it.

• Informative
Reactions: Russell
It’s at Tesla now so I will find out and report back.
The oil is almost clear and smells like lubricant or motor oil, definetly patrolilum based but fairly light weight. I would has suspected brake fluid but I haven’t noticed and brake pedal pressure changes.
Ok, I got a call from Tesla Service. The oil was from my rear wheel drive shaft seals had blown. I haven’t heard of anyone talking about that a a possible fluid. So we will have to add that to the list.
For the record the oil is clear with a slight yellow tinge that can only be seen on a white napkin. It’s density is simular to motor oil. The leak was slow and on the inside of the rear wheel.
Hope this helps somebody. My Tesla only has 57k on it. So keep an eye out for it.

Read somewhere the large drive unit (LDU, in RWD cars) axle seals are high failure items.

And the leak from there can only be gear box oil which should be Tesla's SK Lubricant 212-B ATF which is red color. Not sure why you see yellow. You can ask them, I'm pretty sure its red. Just drained my LDU gearbox not too long ago that was SC filled when they did LDU replacement. Was red and checked my drain pan and the left over was still red from drain 4mo ago.

But your leak is pretty spread out over the rear aero pan so perhaps it got mixed with whatever on the road like rain water.

Last edited:
Here was the final report from Tesla
005FFF1A-A595-4874-94C3-C337CFC2E210.jpeg