Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ski rack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd still be interested in having someone prove that there are sensors on the top of the roof. We know there are sensors in the door that impact the FaWD opening angles, but are they right on top where the rack would mount? If not, I'd be nervous about accidental openings (I have 3 kids) and the subsequent damage to the X and skis. It's not easy to find a picture of the FaWDs open without the roof piece in a completely vertical position.

Any owners willing to put a thin piece of cardboard up there on the roof and see if the FaWDs open?

Elon did tweet near the first deliveries that you could put stuff on a side of the Model X roof and the door would be disabled. Of course, tweeting something, and it actually being true is something that one should not count on until tested/verified.

Should be as easy as a "Disable" button on the touch screen. Shouldn't it?

I second this suggestion ... still looking for a good roof rack option (e.g., transporting a 4x8 sheet of plywood) . I've been leaning the Sea Sucker route (44" Paddle Board Paddle Board Rack), but still uncomfortable with the FWD opening issue as well as suction holding a large air foil on top of the MX.

Both Thule and Yakima (and others) sell vertical hitch mount ski racks like Tesla shows on their site. They are usually add-ons to hitch mounted bike racks. This is one of the biggest reasons I'll still (begrudgingly) drive an ICE SUV every weekend and the reason that I'd buy a non-FWD MX in a heartbeat. While the racks work, they have a ton of downsides versus your traditional roof-mount ski rack or cargo box. Specifically:
- They are a pain to load. The skis fall down and don't stay in place when you open the rack to put the next pair on.
- They are super expensive as you typically need to buy the bike rack, and then the ski rack add-on.
- Your skis get FILTHY with road grime. Not good for your bases
- Makes accessing the cargo area difficult. Every ski day I sit on my cargo area while I put on my boots...and the skis are on the roof. Not happening here.
- And the Tesla-specific issue...you won't be able to use the majority of Superchargers without potentially unloading your skis/taking your rack off. Most back-in Supercharger cables are too short to reach.

I love my MS. I'm replacing it with a MX. But I still need to keep an ICE SUV since the FWDs cause the MX to loose a lot of utility...
Old thread but take a look at this plus the hitch rack swivels out of the way.