Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to put in a GTC order to sell at $899 to under cut you though. And someone else will be happy to undercut me at $898 and so on.

There seems to be 2 "squeezy" scenarios.

1) A technical sqeeze, aka shares are "sold out". That is what the VW thing was. There were literally not enough longs selling to bail out the shorts which caused a high, brief, artificial spike. That is unlikely here in the absence of some Stockholder shenanigans. You don't really want this one. Since the reason for the spike is transient longs, even "strong" longs would be scrambling to sell at the top, which means that the top would never really come and you might miss the whole thing if you are on vacation. It's a bonanza for day traders who are lucky but really just a distraction for the company.

We don't want that?! If it happens due to institutions pulling in their shares to vote that should take at least a day or two? It might be a distraction for the company but it will have a huge impact for shareholders and option holders that sell and repurchase after the peak. This is the ST Thread isn't it?

If we get to something like $300, which seems conservative my relatively small number of calls will increase by over $200k! If that's merely a distraction please bring it on :D. I believe that will happen eventually, but sooner is better for options plus that would ratchet up the value of my portfolio.

You are right, the first scenario is a good "problem" to have. But the second is better since you don't have to sweat an exit point. And finally for what it is worth, I don't think we will ever see the first but will see the second.
I've been thinking about the first scenario (technical squeeze). a little more and I want to share some of my thoughts:
1. Even if it's unlikely it would be a time in which TSLA investors would have two opportunities to make huge profits so I think it's worth at least thinking about the possibilities.

2. IMO we should know this is happening. In that case trailing stop might make some sense, but if we know that the lurch isn't triggered by fundamentals then we know it's going to go down again?

If so buying weekly or monthly puts makes as much sense for protecting your gains at the top and profiting on the way down. Of course you want to sell as close to me too as you can but if you fully protect,your gains with puts getting out at the exact top is less important plus you could make as much or more on the way down.

Even if you miss the upswing entirely you could make as much or more when the SP drops again. So I believe a technical squeeze is the best possible scenario for TSLA traders because in a few days we would have two opportunities to make huge profits.

I hope that a lot of us make a ton on both sides of a technical squeeze if it happens :D!

Last edited:
Meanwhile, the noose is continuing to tighten - still 0 TSLA shares available to short at Fidelity, interest rate went from 19.5% last Monday to 23% today.
0 shares to borrow for SCTY as well, estimated annual interest rate to borrow for short sellers is 82%.

Historically Fidelity was quite conservative with the interest rates, so they are likely higher at other brokerage houses...

How do we know whether short squeeze or genuine long accumulation is happening?

Short interest data is too little too late anyway, it is published only twice a month and delayed 2 weeks :(

If my wish has its way, I wish today's run be genuine long accumulation while shorts stay put. I hope this long accumulation continue until we hit $280 or so. By then, most shorts will be deep underwater and pay high rates for margin. Short squeeze then would be much higher, potentially shooting SP up to $400.

The tweets on working to upgrade the Autopilot via software were pretty awesome.

Meanwhile does anyone know which cars update even their navigation maps w/o going to dealer?

My parents just bought a 2012 VW Passat and paid €200,00 just to upgrade the 'software'. :eek: After I told them about OTA updates with Tesla they were one step closer to reserving a M3. :)

If Justin Pullitzer says the squeeze is in if we stick 227.50 and hold, there is no doubt in my mind it will happen. He is superb with the charts.

That would be great!! I have two questions, one specific and one more general:
A: Does the technicals really matter with the SMP coming soon? Aren't the technical charts only indicative when there isn't any major news?

B: I am quite new to short term trading/investing, and I have based all my predictions on the information I got here and elsewhere, but these were all based on a change in how the market perceived the company, never on technicals. I would like to read up on how technical analysis works and how to use it myself. Do you all know any good books / series / online courses that explain the basics of technical analysis well to a laymen like me?

Reactions: CALGARYARSENAL
While we wait around for the masterplan 2.0 I found Damodaran's latest blog post to be a great read.

Not that I agree with his view or anything. He seems to be always several steps behind the market in understanding Tesla and he gets way worse relative to TMC. However I found his writing interesting just as an another reasonable/educated perspective.

Interestingly I felt the same way even with his earlier posts on Tesla. I didn't change my position based on his earlier posts nor will I now.

Musings on Markets: Tesla: It's a story stock, but what's the story?

The most relavent to this short term thread is that given that Tesla is a "story stock" in his or market's perspective, as the story evolves with more meat, the valuation should go up too. So in this perspective Masterplan 2.0 can be a serious stock price booster (that I earlier didn't believe it to be).

Also, if it is announced together with SC board accepting the deal, which will help propel some more short recalls, the stock can make a very serious move upwards.

We are right around the corner for it.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Status
Not open for further replies.