Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry video of attempted thief

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reviewing sentry videos and found one of a thief trying car doors. I like the worried look he gets when he sees the screen saying he is being recorded. It happened at a Park and Ride. Transit police didn't want the video and did not care.

That's shameful the transit police didn't want the video. Why do police seem to want to let this sort of behavior slide?

Nothing illegal about checking for locked doors. No evidence this guy was responsible for thefts before or after this video. Just a description of a suspicious person. Not sure the police are even allowed to collect info on people without evidence of a crime.

Attempting a crime, even if unsuccessful, is a crime.

Since it is the Transit Police who are supposed to patrol the Park and Rides and the light rail, they could let the officers see the video so they know what he looks like in case they see him around again.

I posted this in our local Tesla FB page. Another Tesla caught a second guy trying his car door 15 minutes later the same day. You can also see the guy from my video in his 2nd video. Probably not the first or last time these guys will attempt to break into cars there.

Transit police should post his picture up for suspicion. The least they can do. Why would a stranger walk up to two cars and try to open it? Lawyers and all their twist and turns. Common sense goes out the window.

Three car doors. In the video from my camera on the other side you can see him go to the row of cars behind me and try a door there.

Last edited:
Nothing illegal about checking for locked doors. No evidence this guy was responsible for thefts before or after this video. Just a description of a suspicious person. Not sure the police are even allowed to collect info on people without evidence of a crime.
If the police came upon the individual they would have sufficient probable cause to at least question him as to why he is checking the vehicle at all (unless of course it was his). They could further search him for any burglary tools, etc. if they felt it was warranted. Obviously, if there’s no further evidence of wrongdoing then they would ask him to go his way. Unfortunately, for better or worse, in this day and age there doesn’t have to be evidence of a crime for the authorities to collect info on individuals.

Reactions: whatthe2
Since it is the Transit Police who are supposed to patrol the Park and Rides and the light rail, they could let the officers see the video so they know what he looks like in case they see him around again.

I posted this in our local Tesla FB page. Another Tesla caught a second guy trying his car door 15 minutes later the same day. You can also see the guy from my video in his 2nd video. Probably not the first or last time these guys will attempt to break into cars there.

Three car doors. In the video from my camera on the other side you can see him go to the row of cars behind me and try a door there.
I wonder if he stole the lint roller out of a car?

Main reason is it doesn't have his name and address stamped on it. So it is useless to the police. At most they would look and file since there is NOTHING more that could do. How would you locate this person or even identify them with such an incomplete picture?

What if this guy is known to them? Repeat offenders are sometimes as familiar to the cops as you are to a barista.

I wonder if he stole the lint roller out of a car?

I was thinking maybe he robbed a car of a dog owner. Gotta keep the hoodie clean.

Does Sentry mode send alerts to your phone?

It only sends an alert to your phone if the actual alarm is set off. Otherwise you just get a notice on the screen (which is usually just you approaching the car to unlock)

Reactions: RSL2020
Reminds me of a day I was sitting in my wife’s car as we were waiting to go in to work. Two kids walk up trying door handles, find one that’s unlocked two cars from me and hop in. I then have to decide do I confront them, or call the Police? I decided they could trying something stupid with the 1v2 situation and I didn’t want to have to hurt them. So I called the police and our security at work. Luckily the police were there within a cpl of minutes and the kids were still in the car! Security for the company showed up later (worthless).

It was a good day for me, two punk kids got arrested and I stopped someone from having their belongings taken.

I love the sentry videos people post.

Reactions: TomHudson and KenC