Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode - Thank you! Merc hit the car & drove off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say 25% was actually quite good. I saw a 40% increase with a no fault claim on a different car (someone drove into the front of the wife's leaf and instantly admitted liability and their insurance sorted it all) and most of the people in the office have seen 40-45% increases with no change to their circumstances. I think the average this year for renewals in general is above 40% :(

On a semi related note....I hate insurance. Had someone buying a car from a neighbor and when they pulled off the driveway they drove straight over one of our fence panels. Got out, stood it back up, looked around, drove off. All on CCTV.

So after checking their reg details I contacted their insurance company. Constantly chasing them now for any kind of rectification.

The frustrating thing about it all is, if they had knocked and said "really sorry but this happened" i'd have said don't worry about it and called it bad luck. It hasn't cost me a fortune to repair it but its the principle of the damn thing.

On a semi related note....I hate insurance. Had someone buying a car from a neighbor and when they pulled off the driveway they drove straight over one of our fence panels. Got out, stood it back up, looked around, drove off. All on CCTV.

So after checking their reg details I contacted their insurance company. Constantly chasing them now for any kind of rectification.

The frustrating thing about it all is, if they had knocked and said "really sorry but this happened" i'd have said don't worry about it and called it bad luck. It hasn't cost me a fortune to repair it but its the principle of the damn thing.
Can you use a claims management company? Insurance companies who are at fault tend to work a lot more quickly when costs start racking up.

Just received renewal figure. +56% with same car etc (only change now 81)
comparethemarket and applying direct came back with quotes over 100% higher.
LV even said I was over the age limit on their policies (79 apparently).
Don't be young and don't get old. sob. sob.
If my son insured the car and added me to his policy is this reverse fronting. (joke)

• Informative
Reactions: ItsBlacknWhite
Can you use a claims management company? Insurance companies who are at fault tend to work a lot more quickly when costs start racking up.

I suppose that is a possibility, I hadn't really thought of but I doubt they would be interested for such a small amount of money. I might get the house insurance on it, seeing as you can seemingly make claims via that without getting annual hikes like they do on car insurance.

Not quite so black and white when it comes to the insurance companies. We had ours hit in a supermarket car park, reg is on full display. The third parties insurance company said they would not accept liability until they heard from their driver, which of course he just doesn't respond. 6 months later, they are now taking the driver and his insurance company to court to recover the costs. Police were pretty useless for me, they just said he is insured, have the insurance companies sort it.....
Why are you having to report it to their insurance company yourself.

Here i just report it to my insurance company, they let me take the car to be fixed with no delay, and then they deal with the other party's insurance.

If MY insurance deems that i have no fault (And they will, if my car is parked up and being hit) they go through the process of getting the other party's insurance to cover it. A big insurance company with employees that are experts in dealing with these things are much likely to be put on the backburner by their insurance company as that insurance company knows it is no good trying to prolong stuff.

Also the insurance company will probably have to deal with damages between 2 vehicles the other way and they dont want their cases to be dragged on.

Why are you having to report it to their insurance company yourself.

Here i just report it to my insurance company, they let me take the car to be fixed with no delay, and then they deal with the other party's insurance.

If MY insurance deems that i have no fault (And they will, if my car is parked up and being hit) they go through the process of getting the other party's insurance to cover it. A big insurance company with employees that are experts in dealing with these things are much likely to be put on the backburner by their insurance company as that insurance company knows it is no good trying to prolong stuff.

Also the insurance company will probably have to deal with damages between 2 vehicles the other way and they dont want their cases to be dragged on.
HaHaHa, either you have a very different insurance market in Denmark or you haven't made a claim in the last 15 years.

Here in the UK, as soon as it is clearly not your fault your insurance will pass your details on to their 'partner' companies that will 'help' manage your claim against the other party. These companies are generally sharks who exist to extract as much money as possible during the entire process, and don't give a care about your inconvenience. They will have a deal with a rental company to put your in a loan car at an inflated price, and keep you there for as long as they can before the other parties insurance would reject the claim and take you to court. If its a write off they will even replace the other insurances scrappage credit with their own lower one.

Technically you could have your insurance repair the car, but they will be super reluctant, you'll lose your excess and your premium will skyrocket for not playing the game.

HaHaHa, either you have a very different insurance market in Denmark or you haven't made a claim in the last 15 years.

Here in the UK, as soon as it is clearly not your fault your insurance will pass your details on to their 'partner' companies that will 'help' manage your claim against the other party. These companies are generally sharks who exist to extract as much money as possible during the entire process, and don't give a care about your inconvenience. They will have a deal with a rental company to put your in a loan car at an inflated price, and keep you there for as long as they can before the other parties insurance would reject the claim and take you to court. If its a write off they will even replace the other insurances scrappage credit with their own lower one.

Technically you could have your insurance repair the car, but they will be super reluctant, you'll lose your excess and your premium will skyrocket for not playing the game.
That is totally different here.

I had someone reverse into my previous EV at speed (35 miles per hour). I had a Dashcam and it happened in a place where there were lots of CCTV cameras as well. (Toll station)

I Reported it to my insurance company, they recovered the car, they had a guy look at the damage and assesed the repair cost (It cost 125% of the price of the car from new and it was only 4 months old).

From impact until i had the full amount (Minus my own risk was in my account in 2 weeks) The "Own risk" money came 2 weeks later, when the other party's insurance company accepted that their costumer had full liability for the accident.

I ordered a new car like the one that was totalled, sadly they now had a waiting time of 1 year, and after 6 months Tesla lowered their price, and we decided to get a Tesla instead.

It was totally uneventful and the insurance agent i spoke to told me instantly, after i sent him the dashcam footage via e-mail, that this would never be my (Actually my wife's) fault.

The only aggrevating part of this is that now, 14 months later the other party has not had their day in court, the police has sent the case to the prosecutor but nothing has happened.

We were really hoping he would have to go there and fast as he was an older gentleman (~70) and he was clearly driving unstable even before the accident as seen on dashcam, so we really fear he might cause another accident before he has been to court....Police said they would recommend his drivers license gets a conditional suspension. That means that he has to retake his license....Mandatory classes, driving lessons and take a new written test and a new practical test and most importantly, he would need to get checked by a doctor to see if he is fit to drive a car (This includes tests for senility, sight, hearing, strength and so on).

Just received renewal figure. +56% with same car etc (only change now 81)
comparethemarket and applying direct came back with quotes over 100% higher.
LV even said I was over the age limit on their policies (79 apparently).
Don't be young and don't get old. sob. sob.
If my son insured the car and added me to his policy is this reverse fronting. (joke)
Hastings has the same age limit, when My mother was due for renewal. went to a different company and there was no problem. I wonder what excuses they will use when cars drive themselves.

Think I need to move to Denmark
If you want to be fleeced in taxes do come.

My MY LR 2023 cost me 60.200 $, there are no incentive programs and i pay a solid 52% income tax on all of the money i make.

Everything is hit with a 25% VAT, and there are a LOT of stuff that has extra taxes (Petrol, Diesel, sugar, chokolate, nuts, cigarettes....Oh and i kid you not....The air in Softice).

A lot of things are easier/better here, but it comes at a very high price.

Car registration is with a license plate, but you do not need stickers, most recurring bills are just paid via something called "Payment service" which is a system all banks provide. I get a statement in the end of the month telling me what bills are being paid. I pay for insurance and road tax this way, i dont have to do anything else, as long as there is money in the account and i check that the payment request is on there im good to go.

Here there is no such thing as "Underinsured" as the insurance is mandatory and there is no limit on how much the insurance company has to pay out, also the insurance follows the car, so anyone with a valid drivers license is allowed to drive it (There are some limitations, stating for example that persons under 25 is not allowed, but if they do it anyway and there is an accident, the accident is covered, and then the insurance company can go after the guilty party in a seperate case).

If you are stopped and the car is uninsured, road tax has not been paid or it has been more than 2 years since last inspection, the police will remove the license plates on the spot, you will have to have the car towed. You can get new license plates for the car, once you have paid what you owe and/or have the car inspected. The inspection station is unable to issue new license plates until the dues are pair.

There is a daily fine for anyone that has a car that is registered, but not insured of $35 ... This means that there are very few people driving around in uninsured cars.

Oh and if a car with license plates and no insurance the last company it was insured with, can request that a special fund, that all insurance companies pays into, will cover the other car and then they will offcourse take the uninsured motorist to court and try and make them pay, but the innocent party in the incident does not have to wait until it has been to court.

Only times it drags on is if the insurance companies make it complicated, but that is usually only for the police that covers "my car" if i am responsible for the crash.

I'm not going to open a new thread for this but Admiral are basically ignoring me now. The phone number I had originally for their 3rd party claims just goes to a recorded message saying they are unable to speak to anyone and you have to email them. Which they just don't respond to and if you try to speak to a regular agent they just palm you off as soon as you explain the situation.

Its such a small amount of money I don't want to get any of my own insurers involved because then my excess will go up for the sake of £100 ish of damage but on principle I don't want the driver to get away scott free either!

Anyone have any suggestions?

We were just hit and could not find the recording. Do I have to change a setting for recording while driving?
I think you have to be hit with some force for it to trigger auto-save.

The car records continuously when driving, when it detects a dangerous situation it will auto-save, but if it does not, you have to manually press the button in the menu for it to save.

You can set it up to save if you press the horn, i have done this and told my wife, if something happens she wants to save, to just press the horn shortly, but to wait a few seconds as to not cut the recording short.

I wish the "Save on honk" thing worked properly. The natural instinct is to beep the horn at the point where an incident has occured. Actually choosing to delay beeping the horn for several seconds after the event doesn't make any sense, and has the potential to not draw attention to what has happened properly (e.g. someone clipping you and carrying on).

As it is if you hit the horn too soon there's a very real risk you'll lose the actual event in the recording. The complete opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

I wish the "Save on honk" thing worked properly. The natural instinct is to beep the horn at the point where an incident has occured. Actually choosing to delay beeping the horn for several seconds after the event doesn't make any sense, and has the potential to not draw attention to what has happened properly (e.g. someone clipping you and carrying on).

As it is if you hit the horn too soon there's a very real risk you'll lose the actual event in the recording. The complete opposite of what you're trying to achieve.
I thought they fixed that a while back where the recording now does a larger portion before and after the horn press?