Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Mystery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Here’s a lovely mystery to solve.

Sentry is activating at home location, even although home is set as excluded. This only happens when I’m offshore and the car is at home with the mrs.

Details:

1. Both my wife and I have apps set up for the car
2. When I’m at home the car doesn’t activate sentry sitting on the drive
3. I’ve been into both my app and the wife’s app and made sure all details match, including home address
4. I’ve set actual home address in the car under Navigation.
5. I’ve checked both profiles on the car to make sure home is excluded and both profiles show same home address

It’s got me beat, I’ll be honest.

As you surmise the Sentry and home location settings are now profile dependant/ I had this exact problem and it was because the home location was not set against my wife's profile so the car thought It was not at home after my wife drove.
This sounds exactly the same except you seem to have checked those things.
Easy entry is a profile. Are you using that? I have never figured out if you have to set the home location in that as well.
It could be a glitch have you tried a re-boot or deleting your wife's profile and setting it up again?

As you surmise the Sentry and home location settings are now profile dependant/ I had this exact problem and it was because the home location was not set against my wife's profile so the car thought It was not at home after my wife drove.
This sounds exactly the same except you seem to have checked those things.
Easy entry is a profile. Are you using that? I have never figured out if you have to set the home location in that as well.
It could be a glitch have you tried a re-boot or deleting your wife's profile and setting it up again?
Thanks Jason. You know what mate, I’d like to say I’ve checked Easy Entry for the home location but I’d be lying if I said I’m 100% sure. I’ll certainly check it, although I do think I’ve previously done this for all profiles.

Does the car location definitely know you're at home? Google maps had my house number at the other end of the street, so I did the public correction thing on there and it now shows correctly in Tesla App too.

Reactions: init6
My house is nothing special and certainly no mansion, but If I park too far to the left hand side of the drive, it thinks I’m next door and activates sentry. Found out this was the case my checking the location on the app and it had next doors house number rather than mine.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Does the car location definitely know you're at home? Google maps had my house number at the other end of the street, so I did the public correction thing on there and it now shows correctly in Tesla App too.
if it works for the op but not for his wife then you would have to say the car knows when its at the home address as set on the Ops profile. The questions seems to be more why it it does not work the same way on the two different profiles

I’m struggling to see the use case for activation of sentry at home location to be profile specific. I get maybe activation at work (swmbo can’t have dash cam at work etc) and I definitely get work location to be profile specific, although less so home but that’s just my circumstances (others eg holiday home covered by favourites), but I definitely do not get why sentry at home would be driver profile specific.

if it works for the op but not for his wife then you would have to say the car knows when its at the home address as set on the Ops profile. The questions seems to be more why it it does not work the same way on the two different profiles

Not necessarily as home location my be slight different for different profiles. Made even more confusing by location specific options only being activated when driving into the location and not when static within.

I’m struggling to see the use case for activation of sentry at home location to be profile specific. I get maybe activation at work (swmbo can’t have dash cam at work etc) and I definitely get work location to be profile specific, although less so home but that’s just my circumstances (others eg holiday home covered by favourites), but I definitely do not get why sentry at home would be driver profile specific.
I tend to agree it is odd but the work thing makes perfect sense . But I guess some people have cars that spend time with different people like work or hire cars. so now profiles can roam it probably does make sense
I took me a couple of weeks to figure out what the heck was going on though when it happened not me cos I had not set up home for my wife.

If I park too far to the left hand side of the drive, it thinks I’m next door and activates sentry. Found out this was the case my checking the location on the app and it had next doors house number rather than mine.

Probably no help, but TeslaFi (and probably others like it) allows deinfing an area (a cricle, only, in TeslaFi's case ... but you could have more than one) as a "location" and then can set Home etc. based on that. A bigger circle, carefully positioned so as not to cover somewhere-nearby-where-you-might-actually-park, would enable whole-of-drive to be included.

But I think (TeslaFi) you can only set Sentry ON per-location (local supermarket car park), thus the only method for Sentry OFFF is a scheduled task (for a given location & time, and then that would allow you to turn it off at, say, midnight ... still wastes power from arrival to midnight. Could have a clutch of such Scheduled Events, but that's all a bit tedious at that point ...

Its Elastoplast only

I reckon its a bug, and will be solved at some point.

I’m struggling to see the use case for activation of sentry at home location to be profile specific

Divorced and sharing the car. Hang on ... just trying to work out the logistics for that. "You can keep the kids, I'll have the Tesla at weekends" maybe ? :)

It states the next doors number but shows exact location on the map. I’m not sure what you mean by “public correction” either. The car location from the touchscreen is set correctly and the app settings have my address inputted but when I click location in the app and the Apple Maps comes up, it’s stated the wrong address and says the neighbours address

It states the next doors number but shows exact location on the map. I’m not sure what you mean by “public correction” either. The car location from the touchscreen is set correctly and the app settings have my address inputted but when I click location in the app and the Apple Maps comes up, it’s stated the wrong address and says the neighbours address
You need to use Google maps on your phone to check the house numbers. If incorrect you can send a map update with the correct number.

Ok, here’s something else weird.

Google made the changes, all done and numbers now correct

However

Tesla app (Apple Maps) still has wrong address as to location of car. Looked at Apple Maps itself and punched in the actual addresses and Apple Maps (unlike google maps) has the right door numbers attached to the right houses.

My car location is showing perfect in the app on the map itself, sitting on the drive right outside the house. Yet the address on the map says the neighbours address a couple of doors down?