Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Senators declare FSD deceptive/misleading.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 100,000 pound plane carrying 100+ passengers could come out of the sky on an ILS approach, locking into glideslope, adjusting auto-throttle, and auto landing, while we can’t even switch lanes without disengaging the AP or paying $12k for Faux Self Driving.
Actually no, the ILS/MLS systems for automated landing are quite distinct from classic "autopilot" as the public understands it, which is basically the system that keeps the plane on a fixed setting and altitude (with programmed waypoint changes entered by the flight crew).

Actually no, the ILS/MLS systems for automated landing are quite distinct from classic "autopilot" as the public understands it, which is basically the system that keeps the plane on a fixed setting and altitude (with programmed waypoint changes entered by the flight crew).
Did you just go out and take this poll to vouch for what the general public understands? Or did you poll a bunch of pilots? Do you think the public knows the difference between ILS/MLS, AT, CMD, etc? U SO FUNNI

Did you just go out and take this poll to vouch for what the general public understands? Or did you poll a bunch of pilots? Do you think the public knows the difference between ILS/MLS, AT, CMD, etc? U SO FUNNI
Nope, and I dont think anyone has. So anyone, including a bunch of politicians, who try to claim the name "autopilot" is misleading are (at best) making unproven assumptions or (at worst) making stuff up to pander to special interests (perish the thought!).

I bet you’re fun at parties
Come on you have to give him some credit. Truth is he makes the effort to keep opinions and theory spinners factual to the others simply running with what they read as truth. I rather appreciate (and learn) from some of the replies and from what I see he’s not trying to make fun of anyone, he’s simply keeping the spin factual. Nothing wrong or offensive about that.

Come on you have to give him some credit. Truth is he makes the effort to keep opinions and theory spinners factual to the others simply running with what they read as truth. I rather appreciate (and learn) from some of the replies and from what I see he’s not trying to make fun of anyone, he’s simply keeping the spin factual. Nothing wrong or offensive about that.
There’s a fine line between taking everything too literally and understanding the general public’s perception. Just like anything else, half of the time the perception isn’t accurate, but it is what it is.

Are you going to argue with 90% of the people that higher ocatane fuel doesn’t burn hotter? Because I bet you they think it does. “THATS SOME HIGH OCTANE SHIEEETT DAWG.” Are you going to be literal and explain to every one of those people that higher octane actually has higher resistance to ignition to prevent pre-ignition? Sometimes it’s just easier to allow people to have the common perception, you won’t change the world fighting unnecessary battles daily with one person at a time.

Now the moment you go and try to market higher octane fuel as something it isn’t, that’s a whole different conversation.

Reactions: BrerBear and MA128
So if we did a straw poll of everyone here...who is going to admit to being duped by the Tesla marketing department? I, for one, got into this with my eyes wide open...and as I recall...the Tesla staff did their best to sell me the base model...

Reactions: Yelobird
So if we did a straw poll of everyone here...who is going to admit to being duped by the Tesla marketing department? I, for one, got into this with my eyes wide open...and as I recall...the Tesla staff did their best to sell me the base model...
No one here will admit to anything.

I will say that I did not frequent TMC before I bought and I was misled by Elon's statements (and. somewhat by Tesla's reputation) about how soon AP & FSD would be actually available and functional. I've only ben waiting 20 months. I can imagine how frustrated the people who bought 5+ years ago are.

I Tesla's defense, when I purchased the web site did say exactly what the current capabilities were (and weren't). Autopilot is actually a pretty good name for what it does on a Tesla when you know what it does on a plane. I think there is a fair amount of confusion among the public about what autopilot actually does in a plane, though. The problem is I think that confusion would exist no matter what they called it and part of the confusion is cause by Elon Musk's public statements and by the hype around Tesla.

"Every one here" is not representative of the public at large. This is primarily a self-selected group of automobile (generally) and Tesla (specifically) enthusiasts. We are less than 1% of Tesla buyers, let alone the general public.

Are you going to argue with 90% of the people that higher ocatane fuel doesn’t burn hotter? Because I bet you they think it does. “THATS SOME HIGH OCTANE SHIEEETT DAWG.”

I do, and have, and if you're ever in the area can introduce you to multiple friends I've gotten to stop wasting $ on more expensive gasoline as a result.

Why do you think it's ok to let ignorant people remain ignorant?

Reactions: Yelobird
I find it odd for you to comment on the capabilities of Full Self Driving if you haven't actually used it.

I don't have to jaywalk to comment that it isn't a good idea. I don't have to eat McDonalds three times a day to know that it's not a good idea. Tesla's own use of "beta" (probably upon the insistence of their attorneys) and some of the better-known crashes are evidence of the fact that Full Self Driving is not, in fact, that. I'm not trying to say that it's a bad system, only that the name is misleading and therefore, to some degree, dangerous for Tesla to market it as such.

If FSD really was FSD, then every cab company in the U.S. would buy Teslas and fire all their drivers. Just call it something else and I have no complaint.

Reactions: Ramphex
I think there is a fair amount of confusion among the public about what autopilot actually does in a plane, though. The problem is I think that confusion would exist no matter what they called it and part of the confusion is cause by Elon Musk's public statements and by the hype around Tesla.
Exactly. Instead of overpromising or misleading by using the terms AP or FSD, just be honest and actually care about your customers (and the public).

I acknowledge the preceding sentence could be considered naive. That's why civilized societies have laws and regulations - which brings us full circle to the beginning of this thread! :)

Reactions: Ramphex
I do, and have, and if you're ever in the area can introduce you to multiple friends I've gotten to stop wasting $ on more expensive gasoline as a result.

Why do you think it's ok to let ignorant people remain ignorant?
Because most don’t care to learn and just perceive people like you as annoying. Not all, but a lot. No offense by that. I used to fight those up-hill battles when I was younger, but then something changed my mind, and now I don’t care unless someone solicits the knowledge.

I don't have to jaywalk to comment that it isn't a good idea. I don't have to eat McDonalds three times a day to know that it's not a good idea. Tesla's own use of "beta" (probably upon the insistence of their attorneys) and some of the better-known crashes are evidence of the fact that Full Self Driving is not, in fact, that. I'm not trying to say that it's a bad system, only that the name is misleading and therefore, to some degree, dangerous for Tesla to market it as such.

If FSD really was FSD, then every cab company in the U.S. would buy Teslas and fire all their drivers. Just call it something else and I have no complaint.
So you can judge the system based on your impression without using it. Comparing it to jaywalking is hardly an apt comparison. If I told you that I used FSD to drive from downtown Minneapolis to my house in the suburbs and only had to intervene once when it went into the wrong lane would you change your mind? 'Full Self Driving' seems pretty accurate to me.

Last edited:
There’s a fine line between taking everything too literally and understanding the general public’s perception. Just like anything else, half of the time the perception isn’t accurate, but it is what it is.

Are you going to argue with 90% of the people that higher ocatane fuel doesn’t burn hotter? Because I bet you they think it does. “THATS SOME HIGH OCTANE SHIEEETT DAWG.” Are you going to be literal and explain to every one of those people that higher octane actually has higher resistance to ignition to prevent pre-ignition? Sometimes it’s just easier to allow people to have the common perception, you won’t change the world fighting unnecessary battles daily with one person at a time.

Now the moment you go and try to market higher octane fuel as something it isn’t, that’s a whole different conversation.
To start, there is a big difference between “literally” and “factual”. Try to share your point as “opinion” vs “general publics perception” or 90% of people. Assigning a made up number or grand view of something doesn’t convert your opinion to Fact. Might be one of the reasons you gave up on your up hill battle debating, you were likely wrong then to….. Just because someone helps you by providing the facts you skipped in your opinion doesn’t make them annoying. Ignoring free facts in my opinion is annoying.

Reactions: Knightshade
Why does there seem to be so much hostility towards Tesla is US government?

Here in Europe 'national' car brands are supported by governments above and beyond. UK government ministers are driven around in Jaguar and Range Rovers, the French use Renaults, the Italian government pretty much owns Fiat.

Tesla is a MASSIVE success for the US car industry, the brand has world wide appeal, the younger generation love the company and they are turning profits.

So given the patroinsom in the US, am really suprised at how much barrier Tesla appear face from US government/policies......Is it still the case you cannot officially 'buy' a Tesla in Texas??

What's Tesla done to upset people in the US government?

Reactions: sleepydoc
Why does there seem to be so much hostility towards Tesla is US government?

Legacy auto and unions and other industries (oil, etc) related to them spend a lot more $ buying politicians than Tesla does.

So given the patroinsom in the US, am really suprised at how much barrier Tesla appear face from US government/policies......Is it still the case you cannot officially 'buy' a Tesla in Texas??

Yup, there's still quite a few states Tesla can't sell directly in.

This is because dealer associations spend more $ buying politicians than Tesla does.

If FSD really was FSD, then every cab company in the U.S. would buy Teslas and fire all their drivers.

At least when I purchased in 2017, Tesla stated "Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year.". So Tesla seemed to take FSD seriously in 2017.

(Have been holding my breath since for the details to be released :) )