Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sealant seepage on rear of car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just noticed some black stuff in the gap above the chrome plastic on the rear of the car in the gap between the plastic and the painted trunk. The car is about 10 months old and this just appeared. At first I thought I had picked up some dirt but the stuff is really tough like a sealant on some type. It would be a serious effort
IMG_20170427_085811.jpg
IMG_20170427_085758.jpg
to remove it from the gap.

Has anyone else seen this?

I'm not sure what it is... I'm not sure it's a sealant because I don't know where it would have come from or why it would suddenly appear. I don't believe that there is any sealant from the factory near that location.

I do know that there are lots of instructions and videos out there on how to remove that chrome trim piece, which should make it easier for you to get in there and clean it. Search for "lighted rear appliqué"

I have just noticed some black stuff in the gap above the chrome plastic on the rear of the car in the gap between the plastic and the painted trunk. The car is about 10 months old and this just appeared. At first I thought I had picked up some dirt but the stuff is really tough like a sealant on some type. It would be a serious effort View attachment 225023 View attachment 225024 to remove it from the gap.

Has anyone else seen this?
Maybe it's the adhesive they use to adhere that trim piece. Maybe it's expanded and oozed out?