Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen will not turn on. 12V battery died

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have a 2019 Model 3 and my screen is black and won’t come on. The USB ports are not getting power. I keep a usb in for dashcam/sentry. A few days before the screen stopped working I took the usb out to download some dashcam footage and then put it back in. The Tesla app is not updating. Yesterday the 12v battery completely died so I used the connections at the tow hook to get the frunk open to charge the battery for a couple hours. The screen is still not coming on. I’m going to get the 12v battery replaced. Do you think this will fix it or is it something more?

Sorry for rambling.

Thank you

Hi, I have a 2019 Model 3 and my screen is black and won’t come on. The USB ports are not getting power. I keep a usb in for dashcam/sentry. A few days before the screen stopped working I took the usb out to download some dashcam footage and then put it back in. The Tesla app is not updating. Yesterday the 12v battery completely died so I used the connections at the tow hook to get the frunk open to charge the battery for a couple hours. The screen is still not coming on. I’m going to get the 12v battery replaced. Do you think this will fix it or is it something more?

Sorry for rambling.

Thank you
It's a systematic process of elimination.

The first issue that you stated: 12V.

Now, let's fix the 12V first.

Thanks. Hopefully that does it. I’m starting to think it might be something more though. I put it on my home charger for 12 hours and the indicator on the charge port never went solid green. It should have finished charging by now.

Thanks. Hopefully that does it. I’m starting to think it might be something more though. I put it on my home charger for 12 hours and the indicator on the charge port never went solid green. It should have finished charging by now.
You told me 12v is dead.

After 12 hours of charging, you report there's no signs of life even green light.

The next step is 12v replacement.

last month my 2019 Model 3 screen died.. took it into Tesla Service.

They said it was a bad cable that had a short... it took out the screen too.
they had to replace the screen and cable. cost free.. because it was 50 miles from warrant expired.

this week.. i am getting warning lights .. intermittently ..
a yellow turtle and speed maybe reduced.
after some research .. it is most likely the 12V battery is going bad.

out of warranty.. I requested a battery replacement via app.
they quoted $117 to replace at my home. I hope that covers; parts and labor.
this will happen tomorrow morning.

Sorry for rambling.

Thank you
Press and hold the steering wheel buttons for 30 seconds, does it reset?
Is there ANY noise from the car?
Did you check the battery voltage before or after charging?
How are you getting into the car? regular door handles or are you using the emergency handles?
Will the car drive? The display is not required for the car to drive.

Open a Service Ticket. If the battery is showing over 12V, then it's not the battery. Just having the charger on it should have woken the car.