Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've waiting to get my model 3 and have a question on charging schedules. I'm on a time of use (TOU) plan and I do not want to charge between 4 pm and 9 pm daily. So basically - if I get home at 6 pm, I want to have the Tesla wait to charge until 9:05 pm. If I get home at 10 pm, I want it to start charging immediately. Also, if I'm charging at 3:55 pm, I want the charger to be cut off at 4 pm.

From what I've read online, I'm seeing that if you plug in "within" six hours of the scheduled time it will start charging immediately. Does that mean that if I plug in at 6 pm it would start right away with a 9 pm scheduled start time? That would be bad for me. But having it start at 10 pm automatically would be good even though it isn't scheduled to start until 9 pm the next day.

Any advice on how to best handle my scenario?

Thanks!

I'm on a TOU rate specifically for EV's (EV-TOU-2 tariff; SDG&E Service Territory). My super off-peak time period is from midnite until 6am. I have the charging set to start charging at midnight. Whether I plug the car in mid-afternoon; or in the evening - charging doesn't start until midnight (other than if for example I have the door or trunk open for a few minutes to remove items after plugging in - the charger starts at a very low amperage rate to supply the auxiliaries such as heating/ac. Within a minute or so of the car shutting down with doors/trunk closed - the brief amount of charging stops. hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: unibrowser