Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging failed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even without a fiscal incentive, charging at night uses cleaner base load power, places less stress on the grid, and is generally a good thing to do.

Theoretically, charging during peak usage times drives up transmission charges and requires the local distribution utility to upgrade/expand their network. Both result in higher charges that get passed through to their customers in the form of higher rates.

I’m in Houston, no chance you’d overload the grid in the energy capital but I see what you’re saying.

Even without a fiscal incentive, charging at night uses cleaner base load power, places less stress on the grid, and is generally a good thing to do.

Theoretically, charging during peak usage times drives up transmission charges and requires the local distribution utility to upgrade/expand their network. Both result in higher charges that get passed through to their customers in the form of higher rates.

Those are very good motives for energy companies to use time of use rate schedules for electricity. I would expect that system to become more widespread in the future. If every single EV owner started their charging at 5pm when they got home, especially in the summer when that also coincides with peak temperatures, it may necessitate some infrastructure changes that will cost $$$.