Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Scheduled Charging fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possible reasons:

1) Different charging settings in the Tesla vehicle and the Tesla app. Enter settings in one place not both places.

2) Charging using the Tesla Mobile Connector and the NEMA 5-15 power plug adapter (Level 1, 120V and 12 amps.) See reason #3

3) Off-peak charging window entered, not enough time to complete charge to charging limit if wait to start charging until 9PM

Upvote 0
Possible reasons:

1) Different charging settings in the Tesla vehicle and the Tesla app. Enter settings in one place not both places.

2) Charging using the Tesla Mobile Connector and the NEMA 5-15 power plug adapter (Level 1, 120V and 12 amps.) See reason #3

3) Off-peak charging window entered, not enough time to complete charge to charging limit if wait to start charging until 9PM
Thank You so much

Upvote 0
First make sure you are not running any apps that talk to your Tesla, except the Tesla app, these are often the problem when you see times changing. Now then:

1. Schedule charge tells the car what time you want to START charging. If you plug in your car within about 6-hours of this time the car will not start charging until the time you have set. So you definitely do not want to set this at the end of off-peak since you will start charging during peak!
  2. Schedule Departure is something else. On the Schedule Departure page you have two options that are totally independent:
    1. If you turn on the "Precondition" option, then the departure time above has meaning, otherwise it does not. If, for example, you want your car battery and cabin temperatures to be ready for a 6 am departure, set the time in the departure window to 6 am and your car will be ready for you at 6 am. You can enable this function for all week or just on weekdays.
    2. If you enable "Off-peak charge" you will see new options below. This is terribly named!!! If you turn this on and set a time in the "Off-Peak End Time" window below, the car will will then automatically start charging at a time so the car reaches the desired SOC at the time you have set (actually about 15-minutes prior.). You can enable this function for all week or just on weekdays. Note that when you plug in the car it will charge for a brief period to determine the available charge rate.
You can pick Schedule Charge or Schedule Departure, but not both.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Ok, the more I read about this the more confused I become. Let me try to articulate my goals and maybe someone can explain my options. I’m assuming it’s best to precondition before charging but currently I have it set to start charging at 8pm. If I understand it, it’s not currently being preconditioning?

Here are some details. I have “free nights” all week from 8pm till 6am. (Free energy but I do pay .05 cents per kW as a distribution fee). I’m not particularly concerned about the car’s inside climate is at a certain temperature for leaving at a certain time. (I’m retired) I was thinking maybe setting my “leaving time” as 6am and it would precondition and probably start charging sometime after 8pm and finish before 6am. I am also using the $400 hardwired Tesla wall charger on a 50w circuit breaker.

Any thoughts on my best options?

(Just picked up my 2022 MYLR last week)

Upvote 0
You would only use the Tesla Model Y's setting for Scheduled Departure, Preconditioning if you were commuting Monday thru Friday or All Week, usually leaving home in the early A.M.. Preconditioning will bring the passenger cabin to your desired temperature and warm the battery pack as required starting about 20 minutes before your scheduled departure time. Preconditioning can also turn on the seat heaters and the steering wheel heater in cold weather. If you don't normally leave each A.M. at approximately the same time then Scheduled Charging, Preconditioning is not something that would be a benefit to you.

The only time the Tesla vehicle will precondition prior to charging is when Supercharging, not home charging. When you set a Supercharger location as the destination in the Tesla Navigation system the Tesla vehicle will activate Preconditioning for Supercharging. Preconditioning for Supercharging will warm the battery to a much higher temperature than would normally be used for daily charging. This only happens when the Tesla vehicle is being driven to the Supercharger. Preconditioning for Supercharging warms the battery for optimal Supercharging (fastest, most efficient Supercharging.)

For daily (nightly) charging at home you can set either Scheduled Charging (starts charging at a specific time), i.e. the Tesla Model Y will start charging each evening at a specific time such as 8 PM or Scheduled Departure (start charging as late as possible). Scheduled Departure charging will ensure that charging is completed by the end of the off-peak electric utility rate period, i.e. 6 AM. You can't set both of these to be active at the same time.

When using Scheduled Charging or Scheduled Departure or any time you plug in the Tesla vehicle to immediately begin charging if the Tesla Model Y's battery management system determines that the battery is too cold to begin charging the Tesla Model Y will first warm the battery enough to enable charging without damaging the battery. You don't need to set Preconditioning or any other setting as the Tesla Model Y will do this automatically.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Upvote 0
You would only use the Tesla Model Y's setting for Scheduled Departure, Preconditioning if you were commuting Monday thru Friday or All Week, usually leaving home in the early A.M.. Preconditioning will bring the passenger cabin to your desired temperature and warm the battery pack as required starting about 20 minutes before your scheduled departure time. Preconditioning can also turn on the seat heaters and the steering wheel heater in cold weather. If you don't normally leave each A.M. at approximately the same time then Scheduled Charging, Preconditioning is not something that would be a benefit to you.

The only time the Tesla vehicle will precondition prior to charging is when Supercharging, not home charging. When you set a Supercharger location as the destination in the Tesla Navigation system the Tesla vehicle will activate Preconditioning for Supercharging. Preconditioning for Supercharging will warm the battery to a much higher temperature than would normally be used for daily charging. This only happens when the Tesla vehicle is being driven to the Supercharger. Preconditioning for Supercharging warms the battery for optimal Supercharging (fastest, most efficient Supercharging.)

For daily (nightly) charging at home you can set either Scheduled Charging (starts charging at a specific time), i.e. the Tesla Model Y will start charging each evening at a specific time such as 8 PM or Scheduled Departure (start charging as late as possible). Scheduled Departure charging will ensure that charging is completed by the end of the off-peak electric utility rate period, i.e. 6 AM. You can't set both of these to be active at the same time.

When using Scheduled Charging or Scheduled Departure or any time you plug in the Tesla vehicle to immediately begin charging if the Tesla Model Y's battery management system determines that the battery is too cold to begin charging the Tesla Model Y will first warm the battery enough to enable charging without damaging the battery. You don't need to set Preconditioning or any other setting as the Tesla Model Y will do this automatically.
TESLA needs to add your explanation to the service manual.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
For daily charging plug in the Tesla Model Y when you arrive home each evening. Set the daily charging limit between 50% and 90% (many prefer 70% to 80% or a bit more in winter when you would use more of the battery to provide heat.) Decide if Scheduled Charging or Scheduled Departure best meet your needs and set that one.

Anytime you get ready to drive the Tesla Model Y you can activate the climate control using the Tesla app on your phone to warm or cool the passenger cabin. Generally up to 10 minutes of preconditioning should be sufficient to ensure your comfort unless the outside temperature is below freezing. Then additional time for preconditioning may be required to fully warm the passenger cabin.

Upvote 0