Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCE Electricity Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, did some search but didn't quite come up with the answer I am looking for so figured I'll toss my question out for some discussion and possibly an answer. I'm trying to compare tiered usage vs TOU-D-PRIME with SCE. I know it may be skewed and a rough estimate, but I took my monthly kWh usage over the past 12 months and applied to tiered usage vs TOU-D-PRIME usage, I found the TOU-D-PRIME to be more expensive than tiered usage. Has anyone seen this pattern with their model S/X/3? Or am I completely wrong.

I made an estimate of 300kWh needed for charging on top of my usual 450-650kWh home usage (~1300 miles driven with ~4 miles/kWh calculation from model Y 75 kWh battery, 300 miles estimated range). My electricity usage is pretty even across the day time about ~1-1.5kWh usage per hour and night time about ~0.8 kWh usage.

Appreciate the real world charging experiences!

How long you have your Tesla? If you have not been charging your car long, the compare would not take the extra Tesla charging into consideration. So it will just be using your household usage for the last 12 months. Your household usage is so low, you are probably mostly on Tier 1. T1 rate is only slightly higher than the lowest off peak rate of Prime. And if a lot of those were used from 4pm to 9pm (TV, lights, dishwasher, etc...), it is possible that your Prime rate would be higher. But you could only stay 1 more year on Tier rates anyway

I apologize for the misinformation, I don't have a Tesla yet. I put down order for a model Y and trying to do my due diligence in research to understand and transition from gas to electricity. That is also why I emphasize "rough estimate". But yes, I will gather more information once I actually has the car and charge for a while to see any difference. I figured model 3 folks may chime in as the 2 cars will be similar in battery size and range. All the posts I've read seem to have NorCal and SD rates and usage, not a lot of SCE discussions.

Yeah so the compare tool on SCE could only using your previous 12 months of household usage to do the compare. You need to do you own calculation. Take your current usage and see how far you are from the baseline. And if adding your Tesla charging will push you over T2, you need to take the portion of that with the T2 rates. Honestly, if you are only charging about 300 kwh per month, it is really not that much. You are looking at most a difference of $20 to $30 between Tier rate and TOU Prime. The good thing about switching to Prime is that if your family at home could crank up the AC until 4pm for cheap LOL.

The new tier rates are more expensive. Don’t switch to it until your grandfathered rates expires. Estimate from my current TOU-A to Prime is a $900 increase per year.

This is how SCE can increase cost by more than X%. They get rid of older cheaper plans to more expensive plans.

The new tier rates are more expensive. Don’t switch to it until your grandfathered rates expires. Estimate from my current TOU-A to Prime is a $900 increase per year.

This is how SCE can increase cost by more than X%. They get rid of older cheaper plans to more expensive plans.

I think OP is still on the Tier rate plan not Time of Use (TOU). If you have low usage (like about $100 or less a month), comparing Tier rate to TOU Prime should be fairly close.

I don't see how changing TOU A to Prime will add $900 per year for you, unless you have Solar? If you have Solar, the Prime rate or any other new TOU rate are really bad for us. I am on TOU A too with solar.. but at least I over produce last year $1800, so it is not going to be too bad when my grandfather of TOU A ran out.

Solar Trend Template.xlsx

You can use my tracker if you like. I'm grandfathered into TOU-D-A so I left that and D-B on the list but the other rates are updated to the current plans on here. The tiered rate is assuming you never leave tier one and we have solar so we never do but tiered isn't hard to side calculate the cost for a month once you fill out your estimates.

To use this you will want to go to the Data Sharing and Download section of SCE and download your data on a daily basis. From there you can paste special values transpose (to retain the heat map formatting) each day of the data into the spreadsheet onto the individual days. The columns to the right in AB-AG will give you daily estimated costs for your usage on each plan. You'll want to edit your usage data in columns B-Y to estimate how much and when you plan on charging.

If you want to use this going forward, the heat map coloring in columns B-Y are all one heat map for the entire sheet but columns AB-AG are heat maps for each individual day...meaning you can't just fill down. Copy one row (AB-AG) then paste it one at a time going down. It's not a big deal for me since I update this daily but doing a lot at once can be a bit tedious.

Columns A and Z can be just filled down and since holidays are calculated on weekend rates just enter TRUE in column AH to have that day calculated as weekend.

If you are on solar, the negative numbers are not what SCE will give back to you that is what it would be if they paid us retail but we get a tiny fraction of that back on wholesale rates if they owe us anything.

Comparing Tiered (never leaving tier 1) to Prime it looks for me with solar on days that I'm charging the car Prime is better and days that I don't charge Tiered is better.
SCE Sample.png

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin