Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saved by the PIN: a Curmudgeon's Guide to the Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
Phones and I get along just fine except for one big problem: I don't use mine often enough to remember to keep it charged, so far too often when I do want to use the thing it is discharged. Like when I go to use my car. For a while my solution was to rely on the nfc card ... until I lost it.

It all became a bit of an annoyance, really. I was happy to find that I could stick my discharged phone into the front USB and it would come back to life enough to start the car after a couple of minutes. Not ideal, but OK ...

And then Comcast (aka Xfinity) came to my rescue. No, really.
You see, I had recently switched to their internet service to take advantage of a nice promotion and as a customer I was offered their very cheap phone service. The only glitch was that my android phone is not allowed. I grumbled about it until I learned that I could buy a replacement Android phone from them (I know ... silly) for $29. My original intent was to pull the SIM from the Comcast phone to use in my unsupported phone, until I realized that it solved my car problem. Now I keep my old phone in the house near a plug, and the plugged in Comcast phone is in the car.

I don't lock my car at home. Away from home I take the Comcast phone with me when I leave the car and I don't forget because then I *want* to lock the car. I hope it will be nicely charged all the time but that remains to be seen. So where does the PIN come into the story ? It gives me just enough security to feel comfortable leaving the phone in the car at home.

I'm optimistic that this will work as well as my old Prius FOB. Better, actually, since my wife likes it when I have a phone that works.

I'm sorry to hear about your phone issues. It seems like you've found a solution, but it's overly complex in my opinion.

If I had to suggest an alternative method I would suggest the Model 3 key fob:

Model 3 Key Fob

The only issue is that is out of stock pretty often and costs $150. Your wife my also appreciate your current solution more haha.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Phones and I get along just fine except for one big problem: I don't use mine often enough to remember to keep it charged, so far too often when I do want to use the thing it is discharged. Like when I go to use my car. For a while my solution was to rely on the nfc card ... until I lost it.

It all became a bit of an annoyance, really. I was happy to find that I could stick my discharged phone into the front USB and it would come back to life enough to start the car after a couple of minutes. Not ideal, but OK ...

And then Comcast (aka Xfinity) came to my rescue. No, really.
You see, I had recently switched to their internet service to take advantage of a nice promotion and as a customer I was offered their very cheap phone service. The only glitch was that my android phone is not allowed. I grumbled about it until I learned that I could buy a replacement Android phone from them (I know ... silly) for $29. My original intent was to pull the SIM from the Comcast phone to use in my unsupported phone, until I realized that it solved my car problem. Now I keep my old phone in the house near a plug, and the plugged in Comcast phone is in the car.

I don't lock my car at home. Away from home I take the Comcast phone with me when I leave the car and I don't forget because then I *want* to lock the car. I hope it will be nicely charged all the time but that remains to be seen. So where does the PIN come into the story ? It gives me just enough security to feel comfortable leaving the phone in the car at home.

I'm optimistic that this will work as well as my old Prius FOB. Better, actually, since my wife likes it when I have a phone that works.
Love your thread title Sage.

I would also recommend the fob for those that have phone issues for one reason or another. We have two iPhones that have never had an issue, but I know Android’s do seem to be more finicky for whatever reasons. (Mostly dozens of versions of OS’s!)

Alway have the card as a backup for the 3, of course! We never leave home without ours! (AmEx joke in there somewhere...)

Don't ditch your old phones. Even without service, even without a service contract, your old phones will work for 9-1-1. If you have a car charger for your phone, put the old phone in your car. Charge it once in a while or leave it plugged in to keep the battery charged. We tend to forget, an old phone without service, even without a SIM will still dial 911. You just never know when it could make the difference.

Reactions: TomB985