Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

San Diego to Phoenix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im trying to decide if I should take my Tesla to PHX this weekend. How much time will this add to my trip. I have a 2023 Model S and my driving style is not one that maximizes my mile per Kwh? I usually get about 70% of projected mileage.

Im trying to decide if I should take my Tesla to PHX this weekend. How much time will this add to my trip. I have a 2023 Model S and my driving style is not one that maximizes my mile per Kwh? I usually get about 70% of projected mileage.
What are you alternatives and what time do you plan to be on the road (and what time do you plan to Supercharge)? Higher speed reduces efficiency pretty much beyond 40mph. I can see that I get about 8% drop efficiency per 5mph increase above 60. I usually cruise the highway between 75-80 and will briefly high 90 if I need to pass or speed up to move over.

As long as you're not going on a popular 3-day weekend, I don't think you'll run into congestion at the Supercharger sites. I say start early and plan to have breakfast or lunch while your car charges. Throwin a restroom and drink break right before you enter PHX for a quick Supercharge and you'll have plenty of range for your stay. I'd say add an extra 45 minutes for those two stops compared to when driving an ICE. I can get over 700 miles on a tank in my old VW TDI, but I prefer to stop and take a food/drink/restroom break by mile 300.

Upvote 0
As maximizese said, don't be in such a rush, and enjoy the break while your car is charging.
I live in San Diego, and have driven this route before.

At the oldest SC in El Centro, CA at "Imperial Valley Mall", (there's a newer second one very close by), there's plenty to chose from while your car charges

• Wells Fargo ATM

• Hampton Inn
  • Fairfield Inn

• Olive Garden
  • Sombrero Mexican
  • Chili’s
  • Fortune Garden - Chinese
  • Poke & Noodle - Japanese
  • Mall food court

After that SC, there are plenty SC's to chose from on your way.
Since you have a 2023 car, that means you just bought it, so enjoy it, and don't be in such a rush. Get out, stretch your legs, and enjoy one hour in a new place that you would not have stopped and appreciated before.

Upvote 0
It’s an easy drive in a Tesla. I’d choose the S because autopilot on that boring freeway drive is perfect. Charge in El Centro at the V3 newer chargers, and then another stop of your choosing. I like the Tacna chargers for their simplicity and well stocked mini mart attached.
On the drive back, be mindful that winds and elevation can chew up your range and there isn’t a supercharger between El Centro and La Mesa - just spend an extra 10 minutes more charging, you be glad you did

On the way east, I’d add about 45-55 minutes total for charging as long as you use v3 chargers

Reactions: PR0FESSOR
Upvote 0