Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Diego - Amato's Auto Body Tesla Model S Repair Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I was involved in unfortunate accident with my newly purchased Tesla Model S, and wanted to share my recent experience in hopes to help other owners in the San Diego area. I was rear ended at a light and it caused a large amount of damage to my Model S. As I was trying to digest what happened I began to hesitate as to whether or not the car would be repairable. After speaking with my insurance company, it came to my attention that Amato's Auto Body was the only Factory Certified Tesla Repair Facility in San Diego. With a quick phone call to Amato's we were able to have the car towed there and everything went so smoothly. Everybody there was extremely friendly, helpful, and professional which does not seem to be common in the Auto Body world. There facility was absolutely incredible as it was so clean and organized. At this time I also became aware that they were Factory Certified for Aston Martin, Audi, Bentley, Mercedes, Porsche, and more which was very reassuring.

After the car was checked in with Amato's it was smooth sailing from there. I received constant updates about the progress of the repairs and was sent photos of my car as it was being repaired. All of the parts on the car were replaced with OEM pieces and were all installed to the factory specifications. It was very scary at first to see the way the car looked during the repair, but I quickly saw the light at the end of the tunnel. The amount of time they spent on perfecting the car was incredible. They replaced the rear quarter panel, rear bumper, and many other large parts of the car. Since they work 7 days a week, the turn around time was much quicker than I initially anticipated.

When I came to pick up the car, it looked just the same as the way it came off of the showroom floor. I have nothing but great things to say about their service and will be happy to leave any of my future vehicles with them.

1973298_10152138755318208_4901756744935677610_o.jpg
10257302_10152138754803208_8640085782389860487_o.jpg

Tesla doesn't repair. They replace. Everything. I've seen repair bills up to $45k for minor accidents (just below the number that would deem it "totaled") for a Model S because they just replace literally everything with brand new parts from the factory instead of leaving repaired parts on the car. Great for us. SUCKS for insurance. Will SUCK for us eventually when all insurance companies realize this and triple their rates for insuring Model S's.

Tesla doesn't repair. They replace. Everything. I've seen repair bills up to $45k for minor accidents (just below the number that would deem it "totaled") for a Model S because they just replace literally everything with brand new parts from the factory instead of leaving repaired parts on the car. Great for us. SUCKS for insurance. Will SUCK for us eventually when all insurance companies realize this and triple their rates for insuring Model S's.

I'm not in the insurance business, but I believe that a vehicle's personal injury rate has a much bigger impact on insurance than body repair cost. If that's true, a Model S should benefit from its stellar safety record.

Last edited: