Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
dimitar.ns About the people having issues with AP hands free, my car (2020 MYP) located in the US no longer recognizes moving a scroll wheel as an acknowledgement of the "hands on wheel" nag... since the S3XY button AP hands free worked by simulating input from the speed control scroll wheel this feature is now broken.

Keith

I am pretty sure that the Tesla is supposed to recognize when you connect the trailer wire harness and put the car into trailer mode... if that isn't working on your car set up a service appointment.

Keith
Expecting delivery in March.

I just assumed that since there was a button on the screen to set it to trailer mode, that meant that i had to do it manually.

If it does this automatically, then the posibility of setting it via these buttons seems redundant :)

Expecting delivery in March.

I just assumed that since there was a button on the screen to set it to trailer mode, that meant that i had to do it manually.

If it does this automatically, then the posibility of setting it via these buttons seems redundant :)

With the new cars that don't have ultrasonic sensors it probably IS redundant. It was originally intended for when you were using a bike rack or something that would set off the ultrasonic sensors but did not have a lighting plug. You could manually enable trailer mode to disable the sensors. Personally, since trailer mode also disables AP I would probably just silence the parking sensors myself. Now with the new cars it is irrelevant.

Keith

With the new cars that don't have ultrasonic sensors it probably IS redundant. It was originally intended for when you were using a bike rack or something that would set off the ultrasonic sensors but did not have a lighting plug. You could manually enable trailer mode to disable the sensors. Personally, since trailer mode also disables AP I would probably just silence the parking sensors myself. Now with the new cars it is irrelevant.

Keith
Yes, on my previous car it was also to disable reversing sensors when reversing, and also lane keeper assistant and so on.

But yeah, the missing sensors will negate the need to activate trailer mode.

The manual says it will automatically turn on trailer mode, when a trailer is connected, but it seems it does not turn off trailer mode, when the trailer is disconnected ? So still a need to press the button

Yes, on my previous car it was also to disable reversing sensors when reversing, and also lane keeper assistant and so on.

But yeah, the missing sensors will negate the need to activate trailer mode.

The manual says it will automatically turn on trailer mode, when a trailer is connected, but it seems it does not turn off trailer mode, when the trailer is disconnected ? So still a need to press the button

Beats me, the only trailer hitch I have is mounted to my dinky little Chevy Bolt :D

Keith

@dimitar.ns : Is there any known issue with the toggle-low-beams function on model 3s? I have a button set for that, and it doesn't work. (same button configured to toggle fog lights on double-click. That works fine).
Also, could there be a "headlights auto -> off -> on" cycle option? (or a way to build custom cycles out of arbitrary commands so that you don't have to predict the full set of things people might want)?

@dimitar.ns

Smart Action Suggestion Sir:
  1. Auto reduce Regen (to user preference) when ambient is +1C/33F or below. As you may know the 3/F inherent RWD nature makes then a bit funny on ice at throttle lift. Naturally, somebody in warmer climate would not turn it on.
  2. Have turn signal indicators flash and change color to red following BSA (As Teslogic does) when turn signal on.
  3. Allow BSA alerts to flashers (as #2 above) when turn signals off (perhaps in yellow)
  4. Partner with the radar detector mfg of your choice and reduce AP speed by XYZ on alert.
Feature Suggestions:
  1. Show last function called on Dashboard display for 3 seconds.
  2. Partner with These guys and takeover the hardware as a S3xy button product.

Can someone ELI5 how the Rear Seat Heater buttons work?

I set this up yesterday and I feel like an idiot. Not having visual feedback on the screen for the status of the rear seat heaters is frustrating.

Can someone please check my understanding:

I set one button to just turn on ALL the rear seat heaters. If it's single-pressed once, it turns onto the HIGHEST setting? If I wait and press it again, it goes to the MIDDLE setting? If I wait and press it again, it goes to the LOWEST setting? If I wait once more and press it again, it will turn OFF?

Is that the correct assumption?

The LEDs didn't seem to correlate at least from what I understood, and I couldn't verify it on the app or the screen.

Can someone ELI5 how the Rear Seat Heater buttons work?

I set this up yesterday and I feel like an idiot. Not having visual feedback on the screen for the status of the rear seat heaters is frustrating.

Can someone please check my understanding:

I set one button to just turn on ALL the rear seat heaters. If it's single-pressed once, it turns onto the HIGHEST setting? If I wait and press it again, it goes to the MIDDLE setting? If I wait and press it again, it goes to the LOWEST setting? If I wait once more and press it again, it will turn OFF?

Is that the correct assumption?

The LEDs didn't seem to correlate at least from what I understood, and I couldn't verify it on the app or the screen.
The LED on the buttons should periodically flash the number of times depending on the setting selected. So if you push it once, it would be on the highest (3) setting and the LED should flash 3 times every minute or so (I don't know the exact interval). Push it again it would be set to medium (2) and flash 2 times, etc.

I have 3 buttons in the back for each of the heater positions and have taught my kids how to use it. It is not the easiest for someone who don't know how it works, but that's the limitation of something like this. I rarely have people other than my kids in the back so it works pretty well for us now.

Are you sure you're not seeing the rear seat heater status on the S3XY Dashboard? It has had that indication for any of the rear seat heater positions for a while now. Perhaps you need to update the firmware and the app to the latest version?

Let me get this ..

If you activate the heated seats via sexy buttons, the graphics on the tesla 15" screen does not show that the heating is on ?

That's correct. Must be a software limitation with the MCU (maybe something to do with the "paid" rear heated seats in some standard models?)

The LED on the buttons should periodically flash the number of times depending on the setting selected. So if you push it once, it would be on the highest (3) setting and the LED should flash 3 times every minute or so (I don't know the exact interval). Push it again it would be set to medium (2) and flash 2 times, etc.

I have 3 buttons in the back for each of the heater positions and have taught my kids how to use it. It is not the easiest for someone who don't know how it works, but that's the limitation of something like this. I rarely have people other than my kids in the back so it works pretty well for us now.

Are you sure you're not seeing the rear seat heater status on the S3XY Dashboard? It has had that indication for any of the rear seat heater positions for a while now. Perhaps you need to update the firmware and the app to the latest version?

Got it. I didn't know the dashboard on the phone showed the heated seats status. Works how I thought. As long as the kids understand it, I'm good! LOL.

Reactions: dimitar.ns
Let me get this ..

If you activate the heated seats via sexy buttons, the graphics on the tesla 15" screen does not show that the heating is on ?
Most of the functions activated via S3XY buttons don't show up on the Tesla center screen. That's because the commands are issued by the Commander from the CANBUS to the car but it cannot update the screen. If I understand it correctly, most of the commands issued from the center screen are basically a "one way street" in that you click something and it sends a command to the car to execute it. While you click the screen the screen updates the status. It's not updated by a return signal from the car. The Commander is situated between the screen and the car, so while it sends the command, the screen doesn't get updated.

The S3XY Dashborad takes care of some of that by showing you status on some functions. But I find that most other functions you don't really need to see on the center screen. As the driver you just know it's been executed.

Most of the functions activated via S3XY buttons don't show up on the Tesla center screen. That's because the commands are issued by the Commander from the CANBUS to the car but it cannot update the screen. If I understand it correctly, most of the commands issued from the center screen are basically a "one way street" in that you click something and it sends a command to the car to execute it. While you click the screen the screen updates the status. It's not updated by a return signal from the car. The Commander is situated between the screen and the car, so while it sends the command, the screen doesn't get updated.

The S3XY Dashborad takes care of some of that by showing you status on some functions. But I find that most other functions you don't really need to see on the center screen. As the driver you just know it's been executed.
Kind of makes sense, i would probably have made it so, that the screen also listened for commands and show the corresponding thing on the screen, but on the other hand, if the screen, normally is the only unit that issues these commands, and they dont expect them to come from anywhere else, then it might be overkill :)

Kind of makes sense, i would probably have made it so, that the screen also listened for commands and show the corresponding thing on the screen, but on the other hand, if the screen, normally is the only unit that issues these commands, and they dont expect them to come from anywhere else, then it might be overkill :)
I think the problem is that the S3XY button team can't do any programming on the center screen since that's Tesla software, so they can't make the center screen poll the status of various functions and update the display.

Reactions: dimitar.ns
@dimitar.ns
I think it would be great if SEXY buttons were made in a form of a bar. Something similar to this center console USB extension bar in the pics bellow. It would perfectly blend with Tesla interior and could use USB power source to power LEDs and buttons.
1676258471922.png

@dimitar.ns
I think it would be great if SEXY buttons were made in a form of a bar. Something similar to this center console USB extension bar in the pics bellow. It would perfectly blend with Tesla interior and could use USB power source to power LEDs and buttons.
View attachment 906612
How would you add buttons? I would think that would rescue up a lot of extra real estate, Efren the buttons now hide very well

@dimitar.ns
View attachment 906612
I agree, that would be nice.

Maybe even make one with 3-4 buttons instead of the 2 centre USB ports. This way you would have 2 usb ports and maybe 3 buttons.

BTW. Do you have a link to the USB bar you have used as an example, i have never seen this one before, and it looks nice.

I agree, that would be nice.

Maybe even make one with 3-4 buttons instead of the 2 centre USB ports. This way you would have 2 usb ports and maybe 3 buttons.

BTW. Do you have a link to the USB bar you have used as an example, i have never seen this one before, and it looks nice.
Here you go :)

Reactions: BitJam and hmadsen
I don't mean to put currently available S3XY buttons there, Replace USB connectors in the picture with smaller buttons. It should be easy to fit 4-5 buttons there.
No I figured you didn't mean the current ones, what I meant was would those USB connectors have the ability to add to it, or would they have to come as a 4-5 pack?