Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S/X Owners: Plans re: Model 3?

Current Tesla owners: Will you order a Model 3?

• Yes! I'll order my Model 3 as soon as I can.

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • No. I have the Tesla I want.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Maybe. Depends on what the Model 3 offers.

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now that Model 3 reveal event info has (generally) been revealed, let's address the elephant in the room: half (ish) of us (amongst which I find myself) aren't exactly 'thrilled' with news that current Tesla owners will earn preferential spots in the production queue for the Model 3. Let's be clear that Model S and X owners certainly deserve this opportunity. Without your investments in Tesla products, none of us would be looking forward to the Model 3 anytime soon, if ever. Thank you for your service (and your $$$).

That being said, I count myself in the (seemingly substantial by this community's accounts) group of people planning to line-up at my local Tesla store early in the AM on March 31 to put my $1000 down and hopefully earn a valuable (tax-incentive-eligible..?) spot in the production queue for my new Model 3. The value of that endeavor has decreased by virtue of news that current Tesla owners get priority. My request from you, current Tesla owners, is to help us Tesla virgins determine by just how much.

Simply put, current owners of the Tesla Model S or X: Do you plan to pre-order a Model 3?

Let's see if we can get a decent (admittedly biased) sample size to help other newbie prospective Tesla owners plan for their future purchases.

Definitely. I've been waiting for the Model 3 ever since the beginning of Tesla, like many here. In the meantime we bought a Model S because we couldn't wait any longer - we had 2 very old cars. The M3 will replace my ICE and will be MINE. :)

Definitely. I've been waiting for the Model 3 ever since the beginning of Tesla, like many here. In the meantime we bought a Model S because we couldn't wait any longer - we had 2 very old cars. The M3 will replace my ICE and will be MINE. :)

Some variation of that sentiment seems to have been echoed by a number of people on these boards. Additionally, with all due respect, it follows that someone in the financial position to have already purchased a Model S or X would have little issue in affording the "new" model, 3 or otherwise.

I wonder if maybe this post is in the forum sub-forum, as people checking this section are more likely predisposed to choose "Yes!" above. Maybe I should move/re-post it elsewhere..

I have a 2013 Model S. Depending on the specs, I might be tempted to trade it in for a top of the line Model 3 with autopilot and all the new tech my car doesn't have. But it would be extremely hard to part with my classic S, so I can't really say until I see the reveal. I still plan to reserve in-store on the 31st.

I'm not so sure that getting preference on the Model Ξ reservation is a perk. ;-) Seeing what many of the Sigs have gone through with the S and X it might be advisable to wait for a few thousand Ξ's to come off the line before placing an order. I suppose the biggest incentive is the $7,500 ITC. Can someone claim that more than once?

Love my Sig X and I may reserve a Model Ξ but still not sure I want to be early on it. Plus my wife wouldn't want to get a car without seeing it, so if she doesn't want it I'm not sure what I'd do with it. Maybe for my son. Any way I have no problem putting down $1k for a reservation. My $40k sat in Tesla's account for over 2 years. That would come close to paying for a Model Ξ.

As an S owner, I will be reserving a Model 3, and once more specs roll out, I'll decide if I will be getting one or not.

That being said, I don't think it's fair to prioritize S owner deliveries over non-owners.

Honestly, having read and thought a lot about this question since I made this post, I've come to the conclusion that this caveat will affect the rest of us quite minimally. It seems that the vast majority of people who don't yet have a Tesla because they can't afford a Model S/X would also not be able to check all the boxes on their order sheet for a Model 3. Maybe most, but not all. It would follow that those of you who already own a Tesla would be more prone to ordering higher-end Model 3s, in which case you'd be ahead of the rest of us in line anyway. I intend to upgrade from the base model to some significant degree (likely larger battery, autopilot, sun roof - things like that), but I have no need for a number of upgrade options, and if I could easily afford them anyway, I'd have already purchased a Model S.

The small sample size we've gathered in this poll isn't at all surprising for a Model 3 sub-forum on a Tesla Fan Club website. It just seems that a lot of non-Tesla owners are overestimating the impact this will have on their orders. And if all goes swimmingly, which Elon Musk surely intends for it to, then we'll all have our cars in no time anyway.