Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RV Parks Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you would need a weirdo fake 14-50 to 5-20 adapter. I don't see how a UMC/14-50 would be "smart" enough to figure it out.
Most the UMC2 adapters are smart enough to accept 120/240V (at least all that I have tried) if wire correctly. The adapter being used tells the car the max current but the car can use either 120V or 240V. I have verified that my 5-15, 6-20, 14-30 and 14-50 UMC2 adapters work at both 120V and 240V. I do not see how the UMC 10-30 adapter could be made to work with at 120V since it does not have a gnd it has hot-hot-neutral or at least if it is wired to code that is what it should have. I made a TT-30P to 14-50R/14-30R adapter that works with a 120V 24A TT-30 campground plug. I use my 14-30 UMC2 adapter with my TT-30 adapter so the current is properly set to 24A. The big question with a 120V only 14-50 RV none standard plug would be what breaker is connected to other end of the wire and what wire size is used.

Judging from the post he quoted, I think he was talking about destination chargers at a nearby Hotel/Inn that another member mentioned.

I can see how you misread that. The post he quoted was talking about two destination charging locations. Then he switched back to talking about the RV manager he said previously he’d get back to. That’s the singular “she” being referred to was my reading. Otherwise who is “she” in reference to two sites?

If they have a 50amp receptacle, it should work with the NEMA 14-50 plug for your Mobile Connector. That said, the Tesla Connector needs a working ground for it to charge. Sometimes these RV parks aren’t wired the best .... also — many times there’s a circuit breaker for the 50amp Connector. Make sure that baby’s turned on.

So as a Plan B ....
They might also have what’s called a “TT-30” connection. (travel trailer 30amp).

It’s 30amp, BUT only 120volts. It’ll give you about 7-8 miles per hour of range. Better than nothing! You would need a special adapter for it. There are two options:

#1 - easiest and safest, will automatically set the car’s charging amperage to 24amps. You just replace the plug on the Mobile Connector with it and go! TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

#2 - cheaper, but you MUST set the car’s charging amperage to 24amps manually. You’d use the NEMA 14-50 plug with your Mobile Connector, and put this adapter on the end. This is what I use: AC WORKS EVSE Charging Adapter RV TT-30P 30 Amp Plug to 50 Amp Electric Vehicle Adapter for Tesla Model S-EVTT30MS - The Home Depot

Good luck!!
Now that I can attend to this, I looked this up, and #2 is what I'll go with. I'm off to the store. I tried calling, but the hold music drove me out of my mind. Thanks for this, Mr Murphy!

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
Get a TT-30 to 14-50 Cable adapter from Camco, is just $13.50 on Amazon (after coupon, click on it). Just don't forget to 24A.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BUQOGI
NOOO! That was well worth a dislike. Do NOT tell people to buy that to attempt to charge their cars. It will not work!

Those camping adapter cables are wired differently, and an EV can't do anything with that. Here is what those camping adapters do:

The TT-30 has a hot and a neutral for the 120V. Those camping adapter cords take the single hot line and just put it on BOTH hot pins of the 14-50 outlet. When your Tesla charging cable plugs into that 14-50 outlet part, it is looking at those two pins for the voltage, and since they are exactly the same connection, it sees 0 volts and can't do anything with it. You have to buy a different kind of TT-30 adapter that is made for EV charging, which wires it differently.

Really, people should just buy one of these, whichever matches either their generation 1 or generation 2 Tesla UMC.

TT-30 Adapter for Tesla™ Model S™ and Model X™ Gen 1 – EVSE Adapters

TT-30 Adapter for Tesla™ Model S™/X™/3™ Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

NOOO! That was well worth a dislike. Do NOT tell people to buy that to attempt to charge their cars. It will not work!

Not adding anything to the discussion except quoting you for truth. That’s why I recommended both the EVSE and poor-mans AC Works adapters. Both are designed for charging, but one requires the manual setting. Those really are two viable options - any old adapter won’t work...

Reactions: Rocky_H

Those camping adapter cables are wired differently, and an EV can't do anything with that. Here is what those camping adapters do:

The TT-30 has a hot and a neutral for the 120V. Those camping adapter cords take the single hot line and just put it on BOTH hot pins of the 14-50 outlet. When your Tesla charging cable plugs into that 14-50 outlet part, it is looking at those two pins for the voltage, and since they are exactly the same connection, it sees 0 volts and can't do anything with it. You have to buy a different kind of TT-30 adapter that is made for EV charging, which wires it differently.

Really, people should just buy one of these, whichever matches either their generation 1 or generation 2 Tesla UMC.

Good post. The one I was recommended, and ordered from Home Depot, says "For Tesla"

Now that I can attend to this, I looked this up, and #2 is what I'll go with. I'm off to the store. I tried calling, but the hold music drove me out of my mind. Thanks for this, Mr Murphy!

My pleasure!! I just strongly suggest putting a sticker on the adapter to remind yourself to plug it in. I used a bright yellow P-touch label.

3F45E7DE-6FB7-4DB2-A1FC-52F2C11F0756.jpeg

Reactions: Rocky_H
How was the printing accomplished?

I have a Brother P-Touch label maker. Silly thing is ridiculously handy ... I use it to label everything from charging cables to my toolbox drawers to even the remote controls in the house. Amazing how easy it is for the living room remote to end up in the bedroom or whatever. I never understood why or how that happens ...

Turned out to be a great investment.

Mine is a little older, but something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LV8QI9M/

Edit: I also got a pack of color tapes for it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5OP15C/

Reactions: Blucenturion
I have a Brother P-Touch label maker. Silly thing is ridiculously handy ... I use it to label everything from charging cables to my toolbox drawers to even the remote controls in the house. Amazing how easy it is for the living room remote to end up in the bedroom or whatever. I never understood why or how that happens ...

Turned out to be a great investment.

Mine is a little older, but something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LV8QI9M/
If you work for an office that has a lot of people, check with your IT staff and see if they have one of these label makers. They could probably just print you a label and save you the money.

Reactions: dmurphy
If you work for an office that has a lot of people, check with your IT staff and see if they have one of these label makers. They could probably just print you a label and save you the money.

The label maker was $29, and the pack was less than $15. I’ve had it for years - totally worth my investment by now. I can think of thousands of things I’ve pi@@ed more than $44 away on, that’ve been a LOT less useful.

That said, I work out of my home, so .... yeah, asking the office assistant or IT staff means ... well... me. :)

Reactions: Aellinsar
The label maker was $29, and the pack was less than $15. I’ve had it for years - totally worth my investment by now. I can think of thousands of things I’ve pi@@ed more than $44 away on, that’ve been a LOT less useful.

That said, I work out of my home, so .... yeah, asking the office assistant or IT staff means ... well... me. :)
Definitely makes sense to purchase if you can find uses for it. I've never really had a need, even though I have access to these at work.

My pleasure!! I just strongly suggest putting a sticker on the adapter to remind yourself to plug it in. I used a bright yellow P-touch label.

View attachment 453948

I've seen both the cordless converter (as pictured), and converter dog bones for TT-30 to 14-50. My (probably wrong) worry is that some TT-30 outlets will have a cover that getting in the way of the 14-50, or that the weight of the 14-50 pulls the plug out of the receptacle. Anyone ever have a problem with this?

The cordless plug is smaller, which is a big advantage. I already have a half dozen dog bones, etc. I just don't want to be stuck in the boondocks with the only option TT-30, and it doesn't work.

(I totally get the wiring issues; this is a question of size.)

I've seen both the cordless converter (as pictured), and converter dog bones for TT-30 to 14-50. My (probably wrong) worry is that some TT-30 outlets will have a cover that getting in the way of the 14-50, or that the weight of the 14-50 pulls the plug out of the receptacle. Anyone ever have a problem with this?

The cordless plug is smaller, which is a big advantage. I already have a half dozen dog bones, etc. I just don't want to be stuck in the boondocks with the only option TT-30, and it doesn't work.

(I totally get the wiring issues; this is a question of size.)
Yeah, I specifically didn't get one of those single piece ones when I was buying mine a few years ago, because I didn't want so much weight sticking way out and putting torque on the outlet. EVSEAdapters does have some with like 1 foot or 2 foot cords, so they have a right angle plug that goes into the outlet with cord that hangs straight down from it. But it's $55, and if you're spending close to that, you might as well just get one of theirs that interfaces directly into the 1st gen or 2nd gen UMC and sets the current for you.

Good post Rocky, I concur. Buy an adaptor that is designed for EV charging. I have one like @dmurphy posted a photo of and it is very useful. The only issue I have had is old worn out TT-30 outlets that don’t grip the adaptor prongs firmly and so the adaptor is pulled out of the plug by the weight of the Tesla UMC. Then I have to drape the UMC cable up over the charging pedestal post to get the adaptor to stay in the outlet!
people should just buy one of these, whichever matches either their generation 1 or generation 2 Tesla UMC.

The only issue I have had is old worn out TT-30 outlets that don’t grip the adaptor prongs firmly and so the adaptor is pulled out of the plug by the weight of the Tesla UMC. Then I have to drape the UMC cable up over the charging pedestal post to get the adaptor to stay in the outlet!

Sounds like a tool balancer for the MC brick that can easily be connected to anything would be useful for relieving the outlet from the weight of the brick.

Amazon has a few cheap ones that may do the trick:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RGQDVPM
https://www.amazon.com/Retractable-Balancer-6-6-11LB-Fixtures-Assembly-line/dp/B00OBARYP4

I'm just thinking draping and propping up the brick might not always work, but you can attach something semi-permanently to the brick that you can hook onto the balancer clip, put the balancer wherever it can go, and duct tape the crap out of it to whatever if you can't also just hook it onto that whatever :D

You could probably duct tape the balancer to a wall even. I mean, ya, you could also just duct tape the brick to the wall ... but it costs a lot more than a $15 cheap balancer so I don't want to wreck it :D

Sounds like a tool balancer for the MC brick that can easily be connected to anything would be useful for relieving the outlet from the weight of the brick.

The way I see it - the only time I'm going to likely use the TT-30 is when I'm camping ...
Which means, I'll have both duct tape and rope. Who goes camping without rope?
I can attach anything to anything with those two.

All good!

The way I see it - the only time I'm going to likely use the TT-30 is when I'm camping ...
Which means, I'll have both duct tape and rope. Who goes camping without rope?
I can attach anything to anything with those two.

All good!

Yes, I did raise that point ... but I also said I don't want to duct tape my expensive MC brick :D

Plus this retractor seems cooler, and I could use any excuse to buy something cool.

This gives me another idea ... anyone know what those little plastic bits that attach to the chargepoint cables are?
The ones that connect the retractor rope to the cable. If I could get something like that that easily attaches/detaches from a cable, I could attach it anywhere I need to along the cable, any cable, even on a public station not just my MC, and jerry rig up a cable retractor of my own (with duct tape and my cable retractor and the plastic bitty things I don't know the name for to search for on Amazon :D)