Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gift article from Washington Post:
Russia, Remastered

Under Putin, a militarized new Russia rises to challenge U.S. and the West​

https://wapo.st/4dxlWwg

Long and interesting, with a number of interviews with current and former Russians. The metaphor of Putin turning Russian society into another North Korea is not too far off base. Particularly chilling how they are indoctrinating the children in this. And encouraging women to have 8 kids (need that cannon fodder entering the pipeline, you know...)
Given what Russia is turning into, it seems they must be defeated and thereby forced to change themselves into a new less aggressive ideology. One would think Europe would recognize this with even more clarity than the US, being next in line as it were after Ukraine.

Being in the US, I accept that right now, we probably politically can't do what General Ben Hodges and others suggest: make it official US policy that "Ukraine wins", instead of the current policy of "keeping Ukraine in the fight". If Biden wins in November, and perhaps wins bigger than expected, I wonder if we could take that step. It is not the sort of thing a President wants to or can declare if there is not a Congress behind them. And that is very much the status today (witness the House these last 6 months) but, hopefully, could change, come next year. With the political will would come a whole lot more aid, possibly other more direct steps (for example, some have mentioned we still don't allow military contractors to go to Ukraine, thus lengthening the repair supply lines) or more consistent, predictable aid that Ukraine can actually form military plans on (right now they likely need to stay rather ad hoc).
I'm keeping hope alive. A big part of that future success will have to include the US evolving some national immunity against the Russian propaganda flood which has whittled support back a bit over the years it has had to work.

Ukraine’s security services said on Tuesday that they had foiled a Russian plot to assassinate President Volodymyr Zelensky and other top military and political figures.

Ukraine says it foiled a Russian spy agency plot to assassinate President Zelenskyy
That's about the tenth one, according to the article. Makes me think the war is not going as swimmingly for Putin as he would have us believe, nor is Zelensky the pushover he expects us to believe either, or he wouldn't be trying so hard to eliminate him.
The guys they caught were Colonels - pretty darned high up to be traitors, but not all that shocking given that they were allegedly recruited before the war, and Russia had a lot more fingers in Ukraine then than it does now.
I remember soon after the war started, the big purge of Ukrainian government officials suspected of spying/supporting Russia. I expect Ukraine still needs to be vigilant; I doubt that is all the rats yet found.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate