Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumour: Model 3/Y to lose stalks in 2023 model year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem that needs solving is simple. Profit.

Tesla decides that you no longer need "expensive" stalks, with complex wiring to allow stalks to function.

They delete stalks, and keep the car at the same price, with some crappy buttons and one ugly, easily worn-out yolk for all vehicle models .

They now offer you the old-fashioned, non-hipster way of signalling, using wipers, turning the car safely etc - but charge another £400 for the privilege.

Ker-ching!
Nail on head

Reactions: CWT3LR and M1tch
I think Tesla will always be successful. They still have the best electric drivetrain and battery/management for the money. Competition is heating up of course but they’re still a ways ahead in my opinion.

Currently I stand to get more money than I paid for it with the current offer I have, and even though some elements of the car wind me up (maybe unreasonably so) I’m still tempted to keep it because there’s not much to compete with it.

Selling it and getting something a fair bit cheaper and pocketing the difference is a huge pull for me though.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
Yes but there was not fierce competition in 2013. Now Tesla has a bullseye on their back and it’s getting larger every year.

Yees, there will be competition, and it's possible Tesla will fall from the number 1 electric maker to 2 , 3, or 4 eventually.

But you've missed a key item. Right now Tesla owns roughly half of the entire mainstream electric car market... and that market is still just a few percent of the overall auto market. Tesla is number one in a fairly small niche

It appears that almost everything is going electric. It's becoming cheaper, better and more efficient so the future you are looking at is one where the electric market is an order of magnitude (or two) larger. In that space, if Tesla holds 20% market share this would still mean massive growth for them as a company.

Competition is good. It'll push Tesla to continue to innovate as others pretty much adopt what Tesla pioneered. I am laughing at all the big center screens, yolk steering wheels, flush doorhandles on all the new competitors. Play on.

Reactions: Welsh-Bloke
Wonder how many people will be willing to spend their OWN money to add aftermarket stalks and full round steering wheels to their cars.

I put some small silicone buttons on my tactile spots to make them easier to locate without looking, while I learn their locations. Kind of like training wheels on a bike. They cost less than $1.00 and installation is less than a minute. Now press the proper button without really thinking and it is really much simpler than figuring out a complicated stalk.

People complaining, without even attempting to adapt are all over enthusiast forums for lots of issues. Some will never convert to an automatic transmission, even though it is more efficient and quicker. Some want only a car with loud exhausts because they crave the Zoom-Zoom Sound. Some lower their cars so much that they scrape everywhere, just to create a look that they cannot even see when driving. Many will resist converting their gassers to pure EV operation. People will cling to the past when they can. At one time it was popular to scream out "Get a horse" when an ICE vehicle was broken down...

Starting to see other future product announcements and concept cars coming with Yokes as well. Maybe Tesla is on to something :)

So that’s…. errr… 2 brands. One of which is on a concept. Yeah, they’re all queuing up to copy Tesla with the yoke

You said you were not aware of any yokes. We easily found several, from big makers. There's more if you search harder.

The point is the competition IS often following what Tesla is up to, and yokes are a real tangible example of that.

And I don't even like the yoke. Not a fanboy on it. Just seeing reality.

Reactions: init6
Aren't the stalks from Mercedes? Would make sense that Tesla would want to get shot of them, like they did the $5 Bosch rain sensor, so they can amp up their "vertical integration" while their customers flail around when turning corners, trying to indicate to tell people which exit they're coming off at while the wipers dry wipe the screen.

EDIT: Even Ferraris don't come with yokes and their steering rack is tight. That ought to tell you something.

Somehow I can't imagine mainstream Model 3 and Y buyers putting up with the foolishness that Model S and X customers will. Model S and X buyers come from Beemer and Benz land so they are used to cutting edge stuff that doesn't work all that well. Model 3 and Y buyers come from Honda and Toyota. They expect things be easy to use, the seats comfortable, etc. This could be the solution to overpricing and long wait times though.

Somehow I can't imagine mainstream Model 3 and Y buyers putting up with the foolishness that Model S and X customers will. Model S and X buyers come from Beemer and Benz land so they are used to cutting edge stuff that doesn't work all that well. Model 3 and Y buyers come from Honda and Toyota. They expect things be easy to use, the seats comfortable, etc. This could be the solution to overpricing and long wait times though.
Not sure I agree with the comparison. Y/3 are not exactly in the same price range as your average Honda/Toyota.
I chose one and I'm coming from a decade of Audis...
Would a yoke put me off the purchase? Not necessarily but already having to put off with the giant centre screen, no A/C controls and no instrument cluster was a bit of a step. At some point, one of the changes might become the final straw.

Agreed. I don’t know the demographic for M3/MY but I suspect it is younger with less dollars to spend than MS/MX buyers and having more enthusiasm and tolerance to change that may not be well executed. That being said if they keep doing dumb stuff like yoke wheels to their more expensive vehicles they may lose market share on the premium vehicles. I would not be surprised if they abandon the top end and concentrate their efforts on smaller cars and niche vehicles like CT and roadster. Better to do some things well than all things poorly.

Reactions: electricar