Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster changing with NACS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gregd

Dec 31, 2014
CM98
With a number of charging providers and auto manufacturers jumping on the NACS (aka Tesla charging connector) bandwagon, I wonder...

The chargers are intended to support DC Fast Charging, and we already know that plugging a Roadster into a Tesla Supercharger outlet via the CAN-SR adapter doesn't work. BUT, there's certainly an opportunity for the non-Tesla charging providers to support both DC and AC charging via the NACS connector, perhaps as a way to add to their customer base or to replace Level-2 charging currently in existence (and taking up real estate). Consider also that car manufacturers (Ford, for example) who are adopting the standard will only have the one connector on their cars, so the car will certainly be able to do Level-2 AC charging on that same physical port the way Teslas do. The cars negotiate with the charger for the type and maximum rate supported by both.

I fear that the level-2 charging at non-patron locations (i.e. not at a hotel or workplace) are going to be harder to find, as the world is focused on Level 3 as the only charging that matters, with the competition being around who can do it fastest.

Any word on whether the non-Tesla charging providers are (or could be made to) consider providing AC charging in addition to DC-FC? I don't want to be left behind.

There are already 3rd party CCS solutions for EV conversions (some proprietary, some varying levels of open source). The CCS coms are the hard part, J1772 is basically trivial. Once NACS starts to roll out I fully expect somebody like Gruber Motor Company will have a NACS upgrade path for the OG roadster based on one of those EV conversion CCS systems.

If the charger is only providing 400v-ish DC, no external "upgrade path" can be created short of making a 400v DC -> 240v AC inverter. We'd need to have 240v (or more likely 208V) AC supplied on the NACS charger's connector for my question to work. The Roadster does not have a way to consume DC charging; it's AC only.

I've already floated the idea of making such an inverter by the folks at Gruber (given that working on high power UPS inverters is their other business), and their reply was that such a box would be too big / heavy to put in the Roadster's trunk. Assuming they're right, the coms part is secondary to it physically not being practical. So, the AC plumbing needs to be in the charger itself, not added externally. That, then, is the question. Would they?

There are already people installing Chademo DC charging in Roadsters. I was referring to eventually just installing a NACS port and DC fast charging (and Level 1/2 AC charging) with that port.
Yep, the QCP solution. But that involves modifying the car in a way that Tesla won't touch it, and it doesn't do NACS either. I'm just thinking that there's an opportunity for the non-Tesla NACS folks to up the game a bit with a solution that does both DCFC and AC to pick up the L2 market since it's a common connector.

But you're quite right. If QCP were to do a next version, picking up NACS instead of CHAdeMO is a no-brainer. CHAdeMO is dying. You'd still need two separate connectors, in order to make the plumbing work.

I have JdeMO on my RAV4 EV. I would want the NACS to only do DC charging, just like the CHAdeMO port. There is no good reason to touch the factory J1772 inlet on the vehicle.
Maybe Roadster owners feel the same about the round Tesla port on their cars, or maybe it would be a whole lot cooler to have a NACS inlet in the original charge port location. However, that makes it a lot harder because not only do you need a set of contactors to disconnect the traction battery, but you also need a set of contactors to disconnect the on-board charger.

I've had my Roadster for 4 years now and admittedly, have only charged at home at 240V and on the road using generic J1772 setups. There is a track day at Buttonwillow that I was thinking about going to, but realistically, if I drive the Roadster there, I'd have to charge along the way and back. Or, I could trailer it there, but then I'd have to rent a auto trailer for a couple days... looking like close to $400.

My questions...
- Is the Roadster at all capable of charging at a Supercharger station (the Raceway has just installed 16 Superchargers at the track)?
- I assume that I can charge with a CAN-SR at a Tesla Destination charger, but do I need an account or something (I borrowed Timothy's CAN-SR once, but could not get it to charge)? Looks like the nearest Destination Charger to the track is in New Cuyama... 60 miles away.
- The nearest J1772 charger is at a motel in Lost Hills about 10 miles from the track... would have to charge there the night before and after the track day.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Henry

My questions...
- Is the Roadster at all capable of charging at a Supercharger station (the Raceway has just installed 16 Superchargers at the track)?
- I assume that I can charge with a CAN-SR at a Tesla Destination charger, but do I need an account or something (I borrowed Timothy's CAN-SR once, but could not get it to charge)? Looks like the nearest Destination Charger to the track is in New Cuyama... 60 miles away.
- The nearest J1772 charger is at a motel in Lost Hills about 10 miles from the track... would have to charge there the night before and after the track day.
No, Roadsters cannot charge at Superchargers. Roadster charging is AC only. Superchargers are DC. If you use the CAN-SR to connect to a Supercharger, nothing will happen.
Yes the CAN-SR will allow Destination charging without an account, UNLESS, the wall charger is part of a “Charging Network” (i.e. Chargepoint, ChargeAmerica, etc.) where an account is required to start charging.
With the CAN-JR you can use the 1772, again, UNLESS, the charger is part of a “Charging Network"

I've had my Roadster for 4 years now and admittedly, have only charged at home at 240V and on the road using generic J1772 setups. There is a track day at Buttonwillow that I was thinking about going to, but realistically, if I drive the Roadster there, I'd have to charge along the way and back. Or, I could trailer it there, but then I'd have to rent a auto trailer for a couple days... looking like close to $400.

My questions...

Thanks

Henry
Look up local RV or campsites with 240v hookups and use your 240v charger. Also, any friends living near the track with a dryer hookup can help. Make sure your 240v cable can reach the socket otherwise come with a 240v extension cord.
Sounds like a fun adventure, good luck!

Looks like the nearest Destination Charger to the track is in New Cuyama... 60 miles away.

I've used the RV Parks at both Lost Hills KOA and Buena Vista Aquatic Recreation Area.
Both were a long time ago though. Probably good to call the RV Park to verify.
These will require a Roadster Mobile Connector or a NACS mobile connector + CAN-SR

Reactions: eHorses