Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RHD test drives in May 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Speaking of the taxis, since I don't have a car (until I get the model S), it's train, bus, taxi, helicopter, walking, running or cycling for us. Since about a month or so, we have only taken taxis of the electric version (for any longer drive than ~50 HKD). As far as I know, there are no formal way to call one of the ~45 BYD e6 taxis, but we have three different mobile phone numbers we can call, and they will inquire within to get us a charged drive. If not available, they can get us an ordinary LPG taxi. PM me for access to these phone numbers, though I must say, Cantonese language skills are a plus!

While you are waiting for your MS, if you like to try a BYD e6 electric car, I now have a number for an English/Cantonese speaking taxi driver, Albert (6627 5744). He will mainly do trips of 150+ HKD if you call him in advance, and he is connected to a handful of other BYD e6 drivers as well in case he cannot make it. He will offer a discount on request, and contrary to many taxi drivers in HK, he is driving quite comfortably.

Besides the 45 taxis, there is presently one privately registered BYD e6, according to Albert. The price is around 400K HKD, but the taxi drivers mainly rent them, because that way they get free electricity. If he bought instead of renting, he would have to pay for electrons himself. Albert used to be a manager in a hotel, but he enjoys driving a taxi much more even though the pay is less. Very pleasant to talk to, so there you have it, go try the BYD e6 if you need to take a taxi anyway :)

OMG... Worst than a golf cart :rolleyes:

However it seems like a problem with that particular car. E6 shouldn't be that bad

I asked Albert the taxi driver how he liked the car, and if he had any problems. He haven't had any problems and seemed to like it very much. Although not a Tesla model S, it still beats the pants off the much slower LPG Toyotas.

Next time I ride with him I will ask him about hills, as he must have tried some good hills in HK lots of times.

OMG... Worst than a golf cart :rolleyes:

However it seems like a problem with that particular car. E6 shouldn't be that bad

This is the full test drive. QuickCharge BYD e6 (Nikki Drives) - YouTube
The car seems to be running normally, until she tried to do a standstill start on the incline. I have a hard time believing it is THAT bad too. It may be bad enough to give Warren Buffet a heart attack!

- - - Updated - - -

For those who understands Cantonese, a HK Taxi Driver talking about his BYD e6.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CzWuIWI5qo

Yes, that video went viral on some forums last year. Nevertheless, the number of e6 taxis on the road is increasing, not to mention many more are already running in Shenzhen (850+)and a few other cities. The major 'dislike' was because of the lack of BYD-specific charging facilities available in HK at the time so it apparently made him earn less money due to his having to drive to a (faraway) charging facility every time he was close to running out of juice. Like DITB, I had experience on e6 taxis before (on SZ ones) and I felt pretty good. It was powerful enough for a passenger car, very spacious inside, and of course it's much quieter than gas cars.

Is anyone going to the RHD test drives in Festival Walk? I will probably be there during this Wednesday afternoon, not for a test drive but just to check it out, and eat some of TMs free snacks :)I will bring my GoPro camera, in case someone wants to have their test drive video'd.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Note that the "TESLA" plate is actually a fake one for display!

The real "TESLA" is a grey one.

I heard there are 4 P85+ so far, for engineering testing, display and test drives, but Mark says there are 5?

Grey, Pearl White, Red and ... Black?

The Pearl White in these pictures seem to be the same one which was testing the charger installation at Marks place.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

More pictures - I cannot select uploaded size as I upload straight from iPhone to web.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Is anyone going to the RHD test drives in Festival Walk? I will probably be there during this Wednesday afternoon, not for a test drive but just to check it out, and eat some of TMs free snacks :)I will bring my GoPro camera, in case someone wants to have their test drive video'd.

I was planning to drop by there on the way back from work (as I need to pickup something from the fruit shop anyway). Can you PM me your contact number?

Looking good! Who's in charge there you know?
Sei was in charge, maybe, but there were also 4-5 others, and Kenneth himself came around the time the test drives started.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL I think there probably was a heated debate over the necessity of it between Tesla and Festival Walk and Festival Walk desperately insisted it
So if the debate got too hot, they could use this water extinguisher to cool it down?Note that it was a WATER extinguisher indeed - not the smartest thing to use, if they were concerned about a battery fire. CO2/powder would be much safer in that case, but at least they can tick the health and safety box.

Thanks to ekwng I now have one more video I can use for a final mix of three test drive locations, into one video (and try to make it interesting and not too longwinded!). I think we got a very good shot today where we shamed two taxis and a Mercedes SUV. Maybe they were so chocked they forgot to press the accelerator?

Bye Bye, Dixie Lacy!

From an unspecified test drive today, I finally got a more useful position for the GoPro.

Later when I have more time, I will mix all my footage into one video only. Until then, enjoy these 54 seconds of driving, and remember, wide angle cameras close to the ground make the speed seem a lot faster than it really is!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh DITB you test drove today too? What's the route? I'm bringing a couple of friends to test drive on Friday night :smile:

I was in the back seat. Was in the area anyway, and I thought I'd say hi. Also, another user from here had a test drive scheduled, and he allowed me to be in the back seat. From the previous attempts I realised that on the model S, it's worth a lot more looking back where you have been, rather than where you are going to be.

When you see this video above, I think you know what I mean.

I don't know how long time it will be until I get tired of this car - which I don't even own yet - but I have just booked a test drive in Denmark next month (!!!!!!)

Maybe I should see how many places I can get test drives, and compile a world wide tour of test drives of the model S :)

I was in the back seat. Was in the area anyway, and I thought I'd say hi. Also, another user from here had a test drive scheduled, and he allowed me to be in the back seat. From the previous attempts I realised that on the model S, it's worth a lot more looking back where you have been, rather than where you are going to be.

When you see this video above, I think you know what I mean.

I don't know how long time it will be until I get tired of this car - which I don't even own yet - but I have just booked a test drive in Denmark next month (!!!!!!)

Maybe I should see how many places I can get test drives, and compile a world wide tour of test drives of the model S :)

Great Idea!! :love: