Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returning lease car - data removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone who has done this can advise.

From what I can tell I need to service / factory reset the vehicle via the settings, which will remove my account / profile, then I need to make sure payment info is removed from the account and finally log into my Tesla account online and delete account.

By doing this Im guessing the person collecting the vehicle can still drive it as they have the key cards.

Anything else?

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone who has done this can advise.

From what I can tell I need to service / factory reset the vehicle via the settings, which will remove my account / profile, then I need to make sure payment info is removed from the account and finally log into my Tesla account online and delete account.

By doing this Im guessing the person collecting the vehicle can still drive it as they have the key cards.

Anything else?

Thanks
You can’t do factory reset in a lease car. Please go thro’ the useful list I’ve made in the below weblink. Come back if you have any specific queries.

You can’t do factory reset in a lease car. Please go thro’ the useful list I’ve made in the below weblink. Come back if you have any specific queries.

Will do, thank you

Weird, I was able to factory reset mine, thought Id try as it wasnt greyed out. Odd thing is odometer has reset, not sure if its because its not connected to wifi so cant fetch the data.

That list is incredibly helpful. I always get a bit nervous returning a rental car when I go on holiday in NZ. I usually find people who have left all their data (and YouTube search history 😳) in the car.