Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Residential Solar System - PV to EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bonnie, depending on the elevation of your roof you may need to over-spec the system slightly. In our location we needed to be a perfect south west but the roof just didn't allow it; given that the cost of rotating the house even a few degrees was prohibitive we just added an extra panel or two more than we would otherwise have needed. If your contractors are good they will come with compass and engineer...in any case they should tell you that an engineer will come to take accurate measurements, angles etc.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

The good news: My roof angles and position are as close to perfect as I could hope. The bad news: The number of large oak trees (100+) on this property throw a lot of shade. In different conditions, I'd need an 11.4kW system to zero out. But if I want to keep the trees (I do!), it's an 18.4kW system. I've had three quotes, all very similar in both cost and estimates of need. I put a deposit down yesterday with a local company with a good reputation & who patiently answered all my questions. ... and now the fun begins :).

Bonnie,

Are you going with micro inverters? In your situation micro inverters sound like a much better option over central inverters. This way the panels can work at their full potential when they are not bein shaded and the shaded panels won't affect the overall performance.

Congrats and once you are up and runnig enjoy your system.

-Shark2k

Bonnie,

Are you going with micro inverters? In your situation micro inverters sound like a much better option over central inverters. This way the panels can work at their full potential when they are not bein shaded and the shaded panels won't affect the overall performance.

Congrats and once you are up and runnig enjoy your system.

-Shark2k

Yes, I specifically was interested in a system with micro-converters. Definitely going with that.

I'm still partial to the Tigo optimization system over micro inverters. A single inverter is still more efficient and Tigo takes care of the rest. www.tigoenergy.com

I love the fact that there are so many viable options with solar now ... cheaper, better panels, more energy management options. I did go with the micro inverters, but this looks like a good way to go, too.