Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request to borrow vehicle for a demo at an elementary school in Orlando area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a tesla enthusiast and owner for many years; I’ve had several roadsters and Model S’

Presently I am driving an S P85DL

I was asked to do a presentation with an elementary school in the Orlando area in early January. They are hoping I can inspire some young minds about the future of automotive and alternative energy and I believe having a tesla with me to show them would make a big impact.

If someone would allow me to borrow their vehicle for the morning I would be happy to return the favor if you aren’t ever in the Phoenix area (and yes you can do Ludicrous launches in mine!!!)

If possible please PM me and thank you in advance!

Reactions: orlando-model-s
Mods, I have been vocal about this before.

These requests to "borrow" vehicles and "rent" our vehicles are a distraction and IMHO should not be on this BB. They contribute little, and place our vehicles at risk.

The Tesla sales centers and the classifieds BB can help these people.

MHO...YMMV

T

P.S. - This is not aimed at being hurtful to this OP. That being said, I think it is poor taste to request to borrow a $100k+ Vehicle, no matter what the cause{s).

The OP is a poster here who's posts are known to me, and he seems like a great guy, but I am really against this "borrow a Tesla" requests thing outside classifieds and dealerships.

Sounds like the OP is in Arizona and is visiting Orlando without his car.

I'm in Orlando but would never loan my car to anyone. Have you considered contacting the Orlando Tesla Store? Perhaps they'd be willing to bring one and demo it.

My wife is a teacher here (4th grade) and doesn't even want to do a demo for her own class. The thought of 20 4th graders climbing all over the car is frightening.

Reactions: wallstguy
My g/f's sister is a teacher and has asked me about doing it and I am conflicted. One one hand, I am interested because I want to encourage kids to learn and to be excited about new tech, but on the other hand expensive car..

For this type of EVent you should never expect anyone to just "LOAN" their car. However, if you ask for other owners to participate in this I am sure there are those will not only give their time, but allow their car to be used in this manner. However, each owner will have their own limits of what they will allow their car to be used. Probably not allow the students to drive it around the track to see who can get the quickest time.... jmho

Reactions: travis010
Mods, I have been vocal about this before. These requests to "borrow" vehicles and "rent" our vehicles are a distraction and IMHO should not be on this BB. They contribute little, and place our vehicles at risk.

If the mods are ignoring your repeated requests, it's likely for good reason, so give it a rest. Don't loan your car if you don't want to and please just leave it at that -- there's no need to rain on the parade of others. You may see his post and project as contributing "little". I see his post as contributing a lot -- and your post as contributing nothing but unnecessary negativity and class warfare.

P.S. - This is not aimed at being hurtful to this OP. That being said, I think it is poor taste to request to borrow a $100k+ Vehicle, no matter what the cause{s).

I see, so if someone spends $30k on a vehicle, and that is their life savings, that one can be asked to be borrowed but not a $100k vehicle -- even if that person is a billionaire... And regardless of the cause, you don't ask to borrow it ever! :rolleyes: Let's understand the class distinctions and proper protocols people -- don't disturb the wealthy!

He wants to borrow it to do a presentation to school kids one morning. I'm sure the owner can be there with him. He's not driving it in a demolition derby.

My wife is a teacher here (4th grade) and doesn't even want to do a demo for her own class. The thought of 20 4th graders climbing all over the car is frightening.

There's no need for any of the kids to be "climbing all over the car". Many presentations are done to children without them even touching the object being presented. If there's a problem controlling the children, it's the teacher's fault, not the children's.

People need to chill out. I wish you well OP.

This catfish and his request seems a little fishy. Loaner beware.

Now that gets a 10 on my rudeness scale.

Last edited:
Yes, mine is a customized P85DL with extra Carbon Fiber accents and two-toned wheels. I am not a thief or looking to do something inscrupulous here just looking to see if someone would be willing since I won’t be driving to Florida this year (I did last year, in my S)

I let people borrow my car all the time for EVents and so do most of the folks I know out here in the Phoenix area, i have a buddy with a Roadster, 2 Model S and a Model X, and he has loaned them all out for various EVents and such. I used to do demos with my Roadster at schools around here, these are just cars guys and gals... money is money but honestly it’s just a car, if you are nervous about kids touching your car then I say thank you for reading my post but it wouldn’t be in anyone’s best interest for me to borrow yours.

TOBASH, I’m not sure I agree with the concern but I suppose it could be in poor taste and with ill intentions for some to post such a request. This is why I mentioned that I have a Ludicrous Model S that I’d borrow to the person who borrows me theirs (which I’d imagine is likely to be in their favor since mine is likely the more expensive one in such an exchange), if I owned a non-Ludicrous and could spend a day with an L in exchange for a day with mine, I’d be all over it... I’m a pretty trusting person tho, and it has rarely lead me astray, mostly it just makes life simpler to assume people are generally honest and have good intentions... I bought my Roadster, sight unseen, from a guy in London, wiring all of that money to his foreign bank account before ever touching the car...

I appreciate the responses all! Happy Holidays!!!

Reactions: Canuck
If there's a problem controlling the children, it's the teacher's fault, not the children's.

Actually that's quite an ignorant response. Children behave as they are taught at home. It's 100% the parents fault. A teacher can't be in physical control of 20 children simultaneously. Children that aren't taught boundaries at home have issues with following directions at school.

Last edited:
Reactions: travis010
Thanks for your response Canuck!

In regards to $30K car vs $100K car... I agree with your perspective and I’d add that I imagine significantly more folks with $100K cars “could” lend their cars out with nearly no impact to themselves while most folks with $30K cars would logicstically have more trouble with such an arrangement. Besides that I’d bet that an owner of a $100K car is far more likely to be able to afford the potential loss/damage if the unthinkable did happen to their car, while a $30K car owner would struggle more with such a scenario...

Anyways, just my two cents on that. Me personally, I’m happy to borrow something to another, I can afford doing so without over-encumbering myself with the burden of “what would I do if something bad happened...”

Actually that's quite an ignorant response. Children behave as they are taught at home. It's 100% the parents fault. A teacher can be in physical control of 20 children simultaneously.

I’ve taught middle school science in my past (as a full-time teacher) and can say that even with the toughest of homes and upbringings (I taught in underprivileged schools where most children have no family structure at home whatsoever) setting up proper expectations and gaining children’s trust goes a long way, great teachers can absolutely create an environment where their young students behave appropriately and pose little risk in these sorts of situations. I was able to show my children some pretty neat things that others may not even attempt due to fear of misbehavior, and I was not a great teacher, by any stretch, I assure you...

Reactions: Canuck
Actually that's quite an ignorant response. Children behave as they are taught at home.

So they can just do what they want because that's how they were taught at home? Seriously? It amazing how good teachers can control unruly kids with proper techniques but others use excuses like you do as if nothing at all can be done. I don't buy your excuse. If I was the teacher and I said to the kids you can look but not touch, and then one of them touched it, it would be off to the principal's office for that kid. Then the others learn real fast.

I’d add that I imagine significantly more folks with $100K cars “could” lend their cars out with nearly no impact to themselves while most folks with $30K cars would logicstically have more trouble with such an arrangement.

Exactly and it seems so obvious. But some people act all high and mighty as if because they drive a Tesla, or any other expensive car, they are above everyone else, and don't even dare to ask to borrow it, that's so uncouth! Peasants!

Reactions: ElectricLove
So they can just do what they want because that's how they were taught at home? Seriously? It amazing how good teachers can control unruly kids with proper techniques but others use excuses like you do as if nothing at all can be done. I don't buy your excuse. If I was the teacher and I said to the kids you can look but not touch, and then one of them touched it, it would be off to the principal's office for that kid. Then the others learn real fast.

That's great. You'd send the kid to the principal when he didn't listen but guess what? He didn't listen, damage is already done. Car is scratched or whatever. You've just proven you'd be an awful teacher by your own measure because you couldn't control the kids. Congrats. Where my wife teaches you also have kids with learning disabilities, autism, etc... all in the same class with the rest of the kids. These kids are unpredictable. There are kids who are known by all the teachers at the school who are a constant problem. No amount of trust works with these kids. Having a good relationship certainly can help but some of these kids literally can't control their own impulses. They do something really stupid or dangerous and can't explain to you what they did or why.

Exactly and it seems so obvious. But some people act all high and mighty as if because they drive a Tesla, or any other expensive car, they are above everyone else, and don't even dare to ask to borrow it, that's so uncouth! Peasants!

It’s amazing how people think, amazing to me anyways, I find that the most successful people (at least the ones I hang around) are very giving and understand that they have excess of their needs and even feel slightly obliged to give more of themselves to others. I have borrowed my tesla roadster out to others, the Model S, etc... and have borrowed the same from others too, no big deal. If we all learned to share more what a better world it would be!

The moral here is spread kindness and you will always be happier, I promise!

Or perhaps it's a liability issue? Or perhaps an inconvenience issue? I know if my car was damaged, even if it was all paid for, I'd have to deal with the repairs, down time, etc..

That's great. You'd send the kid to the principal when he didn't listen but guess what? He didn't listen, damage is already done. Car is scratched or whatever. You've just proven you'd be an awful teacher by your own measure because you couldn't control the kids. Congrats. Where my wife teaches you also have kids with learning disabilities, autism, etc... all in the same class with the rest of the kids. These kids are unpredictable. There are kids who are known by all the teachers at the school who are a constant problem. No amount of trust works with these kids. Having a good relationship certainly can help but some of these kids literally can't control their own impulses. They do something really stupid or dangerous and can't explain to you what they did or why.

Wouldn’t it just be aweful if a bonafide “high class” tesla owner had the misfortune of giving birth to such a monster? My oh my, the thought makes me quake, all of their nice things would get smudged and scratched... the old asylums are looking pretty good here!

(I hope the sarcasm is obvious here, heehee, sorry to be such a brat, I’ll stop ;) )

Wouldn’t it just be aweful if a bonafide “high class” tesla owner had the misfortune of giving birth to such a monster? My oh my, the thought makes me quake, all of their nice things would get smudged and scratched... the old asylums are looking pretty good here!

(I hope the sarcasm is obvious here, heehee, sorry to be such a brat, I’ll stop ;) )

How do you know I don't have a child in this situation? It makes me all the more educated on the matter. I don't blame the child for being impulsive. I do blame parents who use it for an excuse and worst, teach the children to use it as an excuse. You need to teach a child with these kind of issues to cope with them, not use them as a crutch or an excuse.