Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Gen 2 HPWC with Gen 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately my Gen 2 wall charger periodically suffers from the red light of death. I ordered the new Gen 3 and noticed the instructions show the supply conductors when coming in from the back\bottom looping all the way around to the top of the wire box and then down to the terminals.

Wiring the Gen 2 from the back\bottom required a very short length of wire going straight up to the terminals. Is there any reason why I can't approach the terminals from the bottom rather than looping a much larger length of wire around over the top of the wire box as shown in the diagram?

Attachments

• Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.jpg
    Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 214
Its not absolutely required. I assume they are trying to not have heating/cooling cycles pushing and pulling on the wires, so consider leaving as much of a loop as you can. Even an S instead of straight-in would be good.

That makes sense.

In a related question, it looks like I need to drill a hole in the marked location on the back of the plastic wire box. Since the plastic knockout hole will be smoothed and the wire is secured a few inches behind the box in the wall is a bushing or clamp required where the 4/3 romex enters the box?

That makes sense.

In a related question, it looks like I need to drill a hole in the marked location on the back of the plastic wire box. Since the plastic knockout hole will be smoothed and the wire is secured a few inches behind the box in the wall is a bushing or clamp required where the 4/3 romex enters the box?
Did you not have one for the Gen2?

If there's not already a box in the wall with a clamp, you should definitely have a clamp in the backplate of the Gen3. If there's already a clamp in the box(if there's even a box!), it >might< be optional. I'm no pro at this.

@SDRick did you do this replacement? I'm looking to upgrade to gen 3 for a longer cord and realized that my 4 (6?) gauge wires for gen 2 seem shorter than what gen 3 expects inside the box . I'm wondering if I can expect to replace the HPWC easily vs having to pull new wires??? I have rigid conduit going into the bottom of my gen 2.

@SDRick did you do this replacement? I'm looking to upgrade to gen 3 for a longer cord and realized that my 4 (6?) gauge wires for gen 2 seem shorter than what gen 3 expects inside the box . I'm wondering if I can expect to replace the HPWC easily vs having to pull new wires??? I have rigid conduit going into the bottom of my gen 2.

Tough question as my set up uses #4 Romex which gave me some flexibility (literally and figuratively) with wire length and ease of installation.