Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter on updated Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I occasionally drive in a very dusty area and I noticed that the airflow from the HVAC system had decreased. I looked into having the SC replace the air filter but they responded that the filter should be good for at least a year but were willing to sell me one.

As easy as the previous generation filter was to change, the cabin filter on my 2016.5 is behind the glove box (what a great design...)!

Here's the list of steps:

Tools needed: Torx T20 driver with long handle, Panel removal tool (any car store)
Note: all panels are attached with clips, no screws.
  1. Remove the panel under the glove box
  2. Remove the panel that extends from above the glove box to the main display.
  3. Remove the panel on the right side of the glove box. It has a wire attached to it - just let it hang.
  4. Remove the six Torx screws holding the glove box in - 3 on top and 3 on the bottom. The bottom right one is recessed pretty deep.
  5. Remove the glove box being careful with the attached wiring.
  6. Remove the cover to the filter by compressing the clip on the right, tilting it a bit and pulling it out of the left side.
  7. Remove the old filter (I used a pair of needle nose pliers) and insert the new filter making sure the air flow direction arrow is pointing down.
  8. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly.
Air flow is back to normal!

The complexity probably contributes to the $600 annual service!

I was going to take pictures but I left my iPhone at work.
This is for the model s refresh correct? Seems very complicated. I had previously thought the filter was in the frunk area. Do you have the model number of the cabin filter needed?

6 months in and my AC has begun to have a smell to it when it first turns on

Reactions: selfbp
I have an AP1 refreshed MS and the large HEPA filter is located just behind the frunk. The 12V battery was recently replaced by a Tesla Ranger and I watched the technician remove the large HEPA filter to access the battery. I don't understand how this large filter could be removed from inside the cabin.

I have an AP1 refreshed MS and the large HEPA filter is located just behind the frunk. The 12V battery was recently replaced by a Tesla Ranger and I watched the technician remove the large HEPA filter to access the battery. I don't understand how this large filter could be removed from inside the cabin.
You have the premium package. The regular package comes with a standard cabin filter

• Helpful
Reactions: All In
Yes, this is for the refresh. When I first went to replace it, I tore apart the frunk thinking that it was the same as the pre-refresh. They probably moved it because of the HEPA filter option.

The part number is MS2 HVAC CARBON FILTER (1072736-00- 1 B)
Hi,

Can you confirm the old filter was the same carbon filter? Some of us are wondering if the current cabin filters in the MS and MX are carbon as standard now.

Thank you

Can you share with me the dimensions or link for replacement of the cabin filter? I just recently installed a MERV 13 filter in the cavity where the HEPA filter would be ( I didnt get the Premium Upgrades package). I am wondering if I need to order a Carbon cabin filter on my Sept 2016 model S. I used to smell vehicle exhausts on the highway, but dont anymore now that I installed the MERV 13 filter. That filter is 14X27.5X1

Can you share with me the dimensions or link for replacement of the cabin filter? I just recently installed a MERV 13 filter in the cavity where the HEPA filter would be ( I didnt get the Premium Upgrades package). I am wondering if I need to order a Carbon cabin filter on my Sept 2016 model S. I used to smell vehicle exhausts on the highway, but dont anymore now that I installed the MERV 13 filter. That filter is 14X27.5X1

I just did the same mod. I have yet to order the carbon cabin filter for my car. Im wondering if there is a replacement I could just order online. I would still continue to change out the cabin filter. They start to smell after a while. Plus the car recirculates air and Im not sure if that goes through he hepa filter or not.

I believe its behind the glove box from what i've read. I have not found it myself, but will take a look this spring and report back.
I've thumped around my glove box looking for something that looks like a clip, screw, lip, flange....something that says "pull here" to gain access. My service tech pulled it out, put it back during my annual service call. He was so quick, I did not see what he did. [Did not seem fair to have him repeat the work, just so I could do it myself]. The "instructions" imply a series of bolts need to be pulled. They must be behind a cloaking device because I sure cant find them. Photos would be wonderful. Any help here?

I've thumped around my glove box looking for something that looks like a clip, screw, lip, flange....something that says "pull here" to gain access. My service tech pulled it out, put it back during my annual service call. He was so quick, I did not see what he did. [Did not seem fair to have him repeat the work, just so I could do it myself]. The "instructions" imply a series of bolts need to be pulled. They must be behind a cloaking device because I sure cant find them. Photos would be wonderful. Any help here?

It seems the pre-refresh cars had access from the frunk (a simple job). Post-refresh, you need to remove the glove box to get to it. This applies to the cabin filter, NOT the Bio Defense Filter.

Still have the question - how do you remove the glove box? I want to replace the cabin filter and cant seem to find the access path. Stealth bolts?

The screws are behind panels that need to be removed. They are held-in with clips so you need to pull them off. Start on one side and work your way across. There are six screws. In the picture below, you can see the spot where the large leather panel is removed. There is a smaller panel below the box and one on the side that needs to be removed (passenger door must be open for this one). Once you remove the panels, it's self explanatory:

glove box.jpg