Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace tail light housing roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Look inside your trunk/boot and locate three rubber access covers behind each taillight. They are round, about 1.25 inches (3 cm) diameter. If it’s above 72 deg F (25C) you can remove them with just your fingers. If it’s colder you should warm them up with a hair dryer.

2. Behind each rubber access cover is a stud holding the taillights on. Carefully remove the lock nuts from the studs with an 8mm socket. Be careful not to lose the washers into the bumper. The easiest way to remove the washers is with needle nose pliers after the nuts are off. Do not over-tighten these nuts when reinstalling.

3. When you pull the taillight assembly out, unplug the wiring harness by pressing the lever on one side of the socket. On the driver’s side, slide the wire out of the trunk lock after unplugging the wiring harness.

To re-install:

1. Insert the trunk lock into its hole. You may have to orient the red arm up temporarily while inserting. After it’s in, rotate the lock so the red arm is pointing down. Insert the U-shaped retaining clip from the bottom. It should be tight. If it’s not, take it out and bend the tips down more so that it will be tight enough not to fall out.

2. Slide the taillights into the car while gently connecting the wiring harness. After the wires are plugged in, slide the connector onto its mounting bracket. Be gentle as the bracket is thin and fragile.

3. Use needle-nose pliers to slide the washers onto the studs through the access holes in the trunk. Insert the lock nuts into the 8mm socket, white nylon side first so it will be the last part of the nut to thread onto the stud. Don’t use loctite. DO NOT over-tighten the lock nuts! They should be just barely snug. Too tight and you may crack the CF in the bumper. There’s a reason Tesla used nylocks.

4. After everything is together, use a helper to test the lights to make sure they are working properly.

• Informative
Reactions: eHorses
Hi!
I would be interested by the lense replacement part and also where to get those lenses, is it standard Lotus lenses? I love the outer ring lenses design but it seems it was custom made only...
Thanks for your support

Lense replacement instructions will be a bonus. If you don't mind.
Getting carbon fiber housings from Erik Robertson so I need to breakdown the entire housing.
I wanted these while Henri Sharp was making them but ..... ihe stopped making them and it didn't work out. Erik has two youTube videos on his technique. Looks good..... I'll let you all know when I get them from Erik.