Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote Activation of Front/Rear Defrosters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(snip)
My only thought is they don't want more tax on the 12V system, or more warranty battery replacements. Wonder how they deal(t) with this in the Model 3 design...

Not a valid excuse for Tesla. They can just run the DC-DC converter at that point; if you need to defrost, you will most certainly also need cabin and/or battery heat, so the contactor will be closed anyways.

Fun fact, personal evidence suggests that more use of the 12v battery actually prevents the failures of the 12v battery. Aftermarket sub for 3yrs, no 12v battery replacements.
In general, usage of a lead-acid battery dictates charge cycles. Additional charge cycles in a lead-acid battery induces wear. Other factors may have more or less impact, but usage and thus charge cycles is certainly one of them.

Thus, I'd hesitate to call that "evidence" of for your conclusion.

Correlation != causation, and all that...

In general, usage of a lead-acid battery dictates charge cycles. Additional charge cycles in a lead-acid battery induces wear. Other factors may have more or less impact, but usage and thus charge cycles is certainly one of them.

Thus, I'd hesitate to call that "evidence" of for your conclusion.

Correlation != causation, and all that...
Then are you willing to accept magic as a possible explanation? I'm ok with either one.

Then are you willing to accept magic as a possible explanation? I'm ok with either one.

It's not binary… What do you think of this explanation : your particular 12V battery is better than average ?

Also, as your sub is only running when the car is on, the DC-DC converter takes the extra load, not the battery. There should be no extra cycles on your battery, nor higher than normal discharge rate.

Latest update does it but so far you cannot control it: the system decides to turn on seats and windows defrost if it’s freezing. Works well.

I wouldn't say it works well. It's what happens when you think you are Apple but you are not. I've logged the seat heaters turning on, so far for a maximum of 3 minutes (not enough to get them warm). Also 0% of the time I've needed front/rear defrosters. But they turned on anyway. Because Tesla thinks there is ice on the car whenever it's cold ??? Wow.

I wouldn't say it works well. It's what happens when you think you are Apple but you are not. I've logged the seat heaters turning on, so far for a maximum of 3 minutes (not enough to get them warm). Also 0% of the time I've needed front/rear defrosters. But they turned on anyway. Because Tesla thinks there is ice on the car whenever it's cold ??? Wow.
Works well is indeed overstated.
For me it works, in the way that it does defrost and makes it a bit more cosy in freezing temperatures.
I noticed the steering wheel would heat but only if you had it on when you last used the car. For the seats, I also tried to leave them on but did not notice they were warm the next day. Your test seems to confirm they do turn on but not much. Thanks for sharing.
There is definitely room for more of it, but as it is, it is already a nice improvement.

I was about to start a thread but it looks like y'all have already been discussing this.

My question is about using the iPhone Tesla app to turn on the seat heater. In cold weather I usually park and get out of the car with the heater on, the steering wheel heated and the driver seat heated. Sometime later I then activate the climate control via the app and head out to the car. But when I get to the car the heat is on and the steering wheel is quite warm but the seat is cold.

The description for the app says "Preconditioning will also turn on your seat heaters and defrosters automatically in cold weather for your comfort and convenience." I do not use Automatic Preconditioning owning to an erratic schedule. Perchance does Automatic Preconditioning need to be turned on for the seat to heat when I activate the climate controls with the app?

If you have the latest phone app and the appropriate car software for the defrost and so on to work with preconditioning, does the app show what is being heated? Trying it just now, I see two new red symbols on the climate screen -- one looks like a defroster and the other a symbol for heat. Is the heat symbol for the heated seats? And then there is a snowflake, which I think is for the battery heating.
I am trying it now because I got a firmware update yesterday. It is too warm today for a full test -- seat heaters (if that is what the squiggly lines mean) were on for only one or two minutes.
While I was writing this, I apparently got part of my answer -- Once the battery heater shut off, the word "Defrosting" showed up nest to the defroster symbol. I guess the app hides the text to make space for other icons when needed.
Is there any way to tell if the wiper heater or the steering wheel heaters come on -- are they indicated in the app screen?
(I can't seem to find a way to make a screen shot from my phone, sorry!)