Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative breaking reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

YRide

Supporting Member
Jul 7, 2022
San Jose, CA
Have a 2022 MYP, about 8mo old. No real issues other then about 2mo in something went awry with front motor and blew the pyro fuse. I think there were a lot of these going on. Tesla replaced front motor and no issues since then.

Anyways, I think my regen is performing worse then before. Wondering if there is any way to get quantifiable data on this?

Up until late January I had only regen (no mechanical to assist sub 100% regen). This was through Nov, Dec and Jan in Northern California, which was cold this year. Had car preconditioning on for 745a every day, usually living 8a, and never, not once, noticed regen <100% (full bar, no dashes) when pulling out of the driveway. Car was always parked outside, and target state of charge was 90%.

Then sometime between Feb 1st and now, the setting to supplement regenerative with mechanical when Regen is <100 got turned on. Multiple SW updates also occurred during that time (2023.6.8 is the current SW).

Last week I realized the setting got switched, so put it back to Regen only. And now I notice in the AM’s, and even in the afternoon, it’s almost always not full regen (dashes). I know that bar has no units on it, just wondering is there any way (short of going to Tesla service) to have a sense of what the regen capability truly is? Or is not functioning to fullest spec? I mean Tesla could just change the limits on the Regen bar, and the car could be exactly the same but would show as less then “full”.

It just feels weird that I got through the coldest months and didn’t see any Regen degradation at start of drive, and now I am.

I'm running into the same issue as you, except my issue started in November.

I recommend setting up Scan My Tesla (scan my tesla) to get information related to your regen. It'll tell you things like battery cell temperature, inlet temperatures, stator temperatures, and more. You will need to get an OBDLink and a wiring harness that plugs into the center console.

Perfectly normal for a cold battery pack, especially at a higher state of charge. Preconditioning only warms the pack enough to get about 50% regen, plus or minus. You will likely have slightly better regen at 80% in cool weather than at 90%, as 90% requires an even warmer pack for full regen.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert