Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral credit counts against IRA tax credit limit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Family relative is looking to get his first Tesla, a new model X LR thanks to the recent price drop and eligibility for the IRA tax credit. The only option he wants is the $250 yolk steering. However, upon choosing that option, even with my $1000 referral discount the website says the order is no longer eligible for tax credit. Has anyone run into this? Any advice? Shouldn't the $1000 discount allow for $1000 worth of "stuff" if the vehicle started at being eligible?

Family relative is looking to get his first Tesla, a new model X LR thanks to the recent price drop and eligibility for the IRA tax credit. The only option he wants is the $250 yolk steering. However, upon choosing that option, even with my $1000 referral discount the website says the order is no longer eligible for tax credit. Has anyone run into this? Any advice? Shouldn't the $1000 discount allow for $1000 worth of "stuff" if the vehicle started at being eligible?
I don't have an answer to your specific question but I've wondered if one solution is to get the steering wheel and then after purchase pay for a replacement yoke (either Tesla or aftermarket). As things stand now adding a yoke to your order costs $7,750 ($250 for yoke plus the loss of the $7,500 tax credit).

Reactions: UsernamesRHard
Reactions: ArizonaJon
Family relative is looking to get his first Tesla, a new model X LR thanks to the recent price drop and eligibility for the IRA tax credit. The only option he wants is the $250 yolk steering. However, upon choosing that option, even with my $1000 referral discount the website says the order is no longer eligible for tax credit. Has anyone run into this? Any advice? Shouldn't the $1000 discount allow for $1000 worth of "stuff" if the vehicle started at being eligibility
Nope. The limit is based on the MSRP. Any discounts or market adjustments are not involved in the tax credit qualifications.
Exactly,
As it stands you can only get black seats!
Wake up Tesla.

The IRS Rule says MSRP, not discount.
I found a beautiful blue Model X with white seats in Tampa that I wanted. No go. Over the $80k by $300 with the discount.

Has to be MSRP.

Come on, man

Indeed just being over by like $200 and losing a whole deal seems silly. For larger options makes sense but within a couple hundred bucks it hurts.

A follow up, so inventory cars that are marked down are also ineligible at this time ?

Correct.
Doesn't that suck rotten eggs.
The only X you can get is with black interior and "bake" in FL. Already checked $4500 to re-upolster and probably lose seat ventilation.

Indeed just being over by like $200 and losing a whole deal seems silly. For larger options makes sense but within a couple hundred bucks it hurts.

A follow up, so inventory cars that are marked down are also ineligible at this time ?
And that applies to marked down demos as well.

MSRP only for tax credit, straight from the IRS pamphlet.

If TESLA included white or beige interior, they would probably sell thousands of Xs.
I know my order would be submitted in a heartbeat. I've had two Xs with beige and loved them.

Had a Y with black and it was hot and c disgusting. Always showed crumbs, fuzz and dirt. The white is actually easier to maintain, is cool and always pops

I don't have an X, but I am considering one. I have two cars (Chevrolet and Lincoln) with ventilated seats. This is a must for me in Tucson, AZ when the temp is 115. My black seats are OK with the ventilated option. Can someone comment on the X seats to their quick cooling capability - especially if you use remote start?

My son is in Phoenix and despises his black seats.

When I had my first model X with the ventilated seats, they were largely worthless, and that's probably why Tesla abandoned them for a number of years. So I don't know if they've improved them since.

I would also be curious to see if they've improved.