Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended USB drive for dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this on sale for 24.99, faster than SanDisk and doesn't seem to have the overheating problem.
Samsung 128GB FIT Plus USB 3.1 Flash Drive, Speed Up to 300MB/s (MUF-128AB/AM)

Are you a human?

Again- all the ports on the car are USB 2.0.

"faster" is irrelevant. The car can't talk to devices anywhere near that fast. USB2 max speed is 60 MB/s...and even that is way faster than the drive needs to actually write to handle the current dashcam video speed reported.

USB 3 will be nice for transferring files to a PC a little faster, if the PC has USB 3 as well.

I mean, technically... yes.. but given how tiny the files are (we're talking a few hundred megs for a 10 minute clip) you're talking a difference of like 1-2 seconds at most.

By all means buy based on reliability of a brand- but speed is utterly irrelevant for this purpose.

I mean, technically... yes.. but given how tiny the files are (we're talking a few hundred megs for a 10 minute clip) you're talking a difference of like 1-2 seconds at most.

By all means buy based on reliability of a brand- but speed is utterly irrelevant for this purpose.

I have been using relatively cheap USB 2.0 Kingston 16GB drives (bought a bunch of them when they were on sales) on both our X and 3. They seems to work perfectly so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-DataTraveler-DTSE9H-16GBZ/dp/B006W8U2WU/

I am thinking less about getting a huge thumb drive for this purpose and more intrigued by the thought of one with built-in Wi-Fi. It would be easy to write a script for my server that polled the thumb drive in the evenings and grabbed any content.

When I went to see what thumb drives with built-in Wi-Fi were available, I was surprised that that doesn't really seem like a thing. Really? SanDisk has one product line (referenced above) but it's not super clear if that is what we are looking for...
This product has a rechargeable battery and doesn't read/write AND wifi at the same time. Bummer. Any other suggestion here?

You can create two partitions on the USB drive and use one for TeslaCam and the other for music.

BTW, Windows 7 only can read the first partition of a flash drive unless that flash drive has its "removable bit" turned off. There's a utility from Lexar that might be able to switch it. Windows 10 with the latest updates can handle multiple partitions just fine no matter the kind of USB flash drive you have. I partitioned mine and can read both partitions just fine on my Windows 10 PC. My old Windows 7 laptop does not. You can install alternative drivers for Windows 7 to get around this issue, too.

Question for all. Since the V9 software requires the USB to be a FAT32 device, what is the largest storage anyone has proven to work with the Dashcam software? And has that USB been required to be reformatted as FAT32 prior to usage? The largest FAT32 device normally created is 32gig and I would like to go higher.

Please let me know your experiences!

You can format up to at least 2TB in FAT32- you just need a 3rd party utility (in windows anyway) to do it.

My music is also on a FAT32 drive since the Car Of the Future apparently can't read any file system from this century...it's a 256GB one and works fine.

FYI, I got the SanDisk Wireless Connect one, the one that has a built in WiFi. Seems like you can't use the app if the USB stick isn't formatted as exfat. I haven't tried to see if there's an easy way for me to pull it from my Raspberry Pi, but so far that feature doesn't seem to work at least as described. Also, there's a button on the side to turn on and off WiFi, so I think if you just turn it on and leave it plugged in, it will have the wifi available until the battery in the USB stick is drained.

Here's a video I took this past weekend driving to Mt. Shasta:

When you save a video, it saves 10 one minute clips with the last clip being one minute or less. I thought it was a single 10 minute video but it's not. Also it's in the mp4 format. One other thing I noticed is the drive got corrupted when I pulled it out once, had to put it back into a windows machine and run the disk checker on it, and it fixed it again. I did split this 64 GB drive into two FAT32 drives (one for music, one for dashcam). Seems to work fine like that.

Reactions: gogogoducks