Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear wheel-well liner clips deemed "unnecessary" by Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdx_m3s

May 18, 2019
Portland, OR
Noticed three missing clips (per side) that attach the rear inner wheel-well liner to the chassis. Reached out to the service department about this, and they instructed me that those clips were deemed "unnecessary" to "cost-down" the car for profitability. I started laughing and decided to just fix it myself.

I ordered replacement Tesla clips from Bellmetric here: D10536 - Tesla Clip [D10536] - $1.65 : Bel-Metric, Metric Hardware, Metric Fasteners, Metric Bolts, Metric Nuts & Time-Sert Thread Repair

The inner wheel-well liner is now appropriately fastened to the chassis, as it was intended/engineered to.

I don’t think it’s a big deal. I think at some point way back they changed something that moved things around. Maybe after suspension changes. It didn’t require new liners.

If you’ll notice some of those holes in the liner have no holes in the frame.

For all we know it was an intentional design change to remove them to solve some obscure issue we don’t know about.

They have been “missing” since at least Sept 2018 builds.

• Informative
Reactions: XLR82XS
Where did you attach the zipties?
I'm thinking in the two holes on the side, but you can get plastic pins. I've left them the way they came.

IMG_1357.jpeg