Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear doors open strangely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I typically open the front doors by pressing in on one side of the lever which lowers the window a litle and pops the door out just far enough that I can put my fingers inside the window and pull it the rest of the way.

I tried this on the back doors and got my fingers tore up. It seems that the window lowers and the door pops out just like the front but then the window goes up and it closes before cycling back to open. Is that normal?

Hello, I typically open the front doors by pressing in on one side of the lever which lowers the window a litle and pops the door out just far enough that I can put my fingers inside the window and pull it the rest of the way.

I tried this on the back doors and got my fingers tore up. It seems that the window lowers and the door pops out just like the front but then the window goes up and it closes before cycling back to open. Is that normal?
If you use a digit of your hand to unlatch the door, why not use the other digits of the same hand to grab the now presented door handle instead of moving your hand up to the cracked open window to pull the door open?

Use thumb to press on handle to bring the remainder of the handle all the way out. Grab with remainder of hand to open door.
It's the door handle, not the door lock.
Yes, on the left side, you use your left hand. On the right side you use the right hand.

Wow you’re going to mess up the alignment of the windows if you don’t outright break something doing that. There’s door handles for a reason, also the window lowers to reduce the possibility of stress or torque on the windows when opening or closing, you’re basically undoing that

Minimize using the glass to open/close your doors. They're not designed for opening and closing your doors.
It's actually a big down side of frameless doors...I personally prefer framed doors.

The behavior seems somewhat odd...perhaps try it on another car or at a show room.

I tried this on the back doors and got my fingers tore up. Is that normal?

Maybe the car doesn't like you prying the glass open

It’s your cars way of saying “don’t do that dummy”.

In all seriousness that’s a terrible way to open the door. The glass is pretty much the worst part to grab ahold of. The reason none of us know is because we find it more entertaining to give you a hard time than to walk all the way to our garages and watch the windows move. (Or that could just be me).

Reactions: XLR82XS